Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pilot Pen Tennis tournament will be the next stop for former top 10 women’s player Vera Zvonareva.

Zvonareva, who spent five weeks ranked No. 10 earlier this year and peaked at No. 9 in the WTA rankings last year at this time, has been out of action since injuring her ankle in a doubles match at the Acura Classic in San Diego earlier this month.

Her agent John Tobias told the Register on Wednesday that Zvonareva would be pulling out of next week’s Rogers Cup in Toronto and would enter the Pilot Pen.

"I don’t know if it is official yet, but when I spoke to her she said she is definitely playing in New Haven," Tobias said.

It will be her second appearance in New Haven. Zvonareva reached the second round in 2003.

Zvonareva is currently ranked 17th in singles and ninth in doubles. She won her third career title at Memphis, Tenn., in February and reached the semifinals at Rome in May. Her best showing in a Grand Slam singles event in 2005 was a third-round appearance at the French Open. Zvonareva won her first Grand Slam title in 2004, teaming with Bob Bryan to win the mixed doubles at the U.S. Open.

Since she will enter the Pilot Pen after the direct acceptance deadline, Zvonareva will move to No. 2 on the Pilot Pen’s "next-in" list behind Lindsay Davenport. If two main draw players pull out of the Pilot Pen, Davenport and Zvonareva would move into the main draw. If that doesn’t happen, Zvonareva would be a strong candidate to receive a wild card into the main draw.

Tobias also said that Pilot Pen defending champion Elena Bovina intends to play in New Haven.

Bovina pulled out of the Rogers Cup on Wednesday and hasn’t played since suffering a fourth-round loss to Nadia Petrova at the French Open in June because of a shoulder injury.

Tobias said Bovina plans to arrive in New Haven on Aug. 19 and the Pilot Pen will be her first event in two months. He also confirmed that Mardy Fish, who has pulled out of his last two tournaments with a wrist injury, will be playing in the Pilot Pen.

According to Tobias, the world’s top-ranked doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan do not plan on playing at the Pilot Pen. The Pilot Pen runs from Aug. 19-28 at the Connecticut Tennis Center.

·
Premium Member
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New Haven is starting to look alot stronger now, with four of the top ten and ten of the top twenty.

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
Definitely New Haven and Toronto are going to be the best tournaments of the summer hard court season (assuming no withdrawals). Funny because usually the summer west coast events have the best fields. But still with all of these entrants, there is just no way Davenport she be struggling with mostly these current slumpers.

·
I love Jelica!
34,196 Posts
Back to the scene of the meltdown :scared:

Reactions: goldenlox

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
I just hope Vera is all recovered and stays healthy.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Baby you're all that I want
And I see a tear in your eyes
I'm finding it hard to believe
You're in New Haven

:kiss:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Or:

Would you know my name, if you saw me in New Haven?
Would you win six games, if you saw me in New Haven?
Pro-Plus 'til dawn
To cheer you on
Cos I know I don't belong, in New Haven.

·
Ferosh Warrior ♥
53,292 Posts
Glad that Elena is planning to play @ New Haven. And hopefully Vera is well recovered.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts
Now no Bepa in New Haven:sad:

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
pav said:
Now no Bepa in New Haven:sad:
What? Are You Serious? That means she might not play the USO :sad:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wow!! imagine all the drama in new haven and that is just from the women. I don't think the place is big enough for a parade of stars, but only Helen lawson would know if CT is big enough for a bunch of celebrities that rival that of a grandslam.

·
Registered
19,356 Posts
Vera get well soon :hug: :smooch:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts