Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone confirm this possibility? I understand there are a lot of points up for grabs at Zhuhai and its not inconceivable that the winner (and although unlikely, maybe even the finalist) will leapfrog the lowest ranking of the YEC participants.

I believe the Zhuhai winner gets over 700 points while you are guaranteed only 210 points for playing 3 matches at the YEC.

This situation doesn't make sense for me.

Reactions: thejuju

·
Premium Member
181,854 Posts
Quite possible

Zhuhai should just be a 2m exho

·
it's just me against the music.
27,305 Posts
Not only is it a possiblity, I am pretty sure it'll be a foregone conclusion unless Halep or Kvitova are the ones who go 0-3 (unlikely!) or someone in the low range of 9-20 wins. The rankings are so tight from 4-16. Anyone can move anywhere.

I think we will actually see Wozniacki and Venus show in Zhuhai given it's an Olympic year. In fact, for Venus, given how she has had Serena in ALL four of her slam draws this year - I think there will be extra motivation to get her ranking up and avoid Serena until the latest possible round.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a complete joke and undermines the YEC. Coming at the end of the and being close to determining seedings for the Australian Open too. It's not as though the YEC participants have the choice to play Zhuhai instead.

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
It's not just a possibility, it's almost certain.

The lowest score one can earn is 620 points to win Zhuhai and the highest score one can earn losing RR in Singapore nets 300 points (and that's at least two possible players). Pretty much you go on the current lists many players can out beat the players in Singapore. Not to say Serena (already), Sharapova or even others will withdraw hence lowering the bar even more.

·
Registered
32,037 Posts
The YE rankings and bonus pool money should be determined right after Singapore.

Must be quite frustrating to qualify for Singapore only to be kicked out of the top 10 because someone won 700 points for beating Errani and Svitolina.

A few players could end up as the #6 player in the world. :help:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I feared something like this would happen...completely ridiculous. This event might make even less sense than the TOC, which is saying something. If you want the rest of the top 20 involved in the YEC, just bring back the 16-player draw.

So many options for an "alternative YEC". It could be a tournament for the most improved players by ranking, or the highest-ranked newcomers to the top 100 - which are both categories the WTA has awards for, so the winner could be playing for that award. Or a Rising Stars event of the best teenagers by ranking, not that dumb exo. And yet the WTA gets it so wrong...

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
it'd be so fitting considering the current weak era... :facepalm:

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
It's a complete joke and undermines the YEC. Coming at the end of the and being close to determining seedings for the Australian Open too. It's not as though the YEC participants have the choice to play Zhuhai instead.
That would be funny if someone actually said they wanted to play Zhuhai instead... forgoing money for points :lol:

·
Registered
15,951 Posts
That would be funny if someone actually said they wanted to play Zhuhai instead... forgoing money for points :lol:
Wozniacki will. I hope she wins Zhuhai and remains in top 10 for the second time by playing the lesser YEC.

It would be so hilarious :eek:h:

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
It's a complete joke and undermines the YEC.
Yep. I've long thought that the YEC should be the final tournament of the year. Scrap the runner-up tourney.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I think we will actually see Wozniacki and Venus show in Zhuhai given it's an Olympic year. In fact, for Venus, given how she has had Serena in ALL four of her slam draws this year - I think there will be extra motivation to get her ranking up and avoid Serena until the latest possible round.
Venus will never play a second league Final Champhionships like Zhuhai. It would be degrading for a champion of her caliber. Either she qualifies for Singapore or she will be done for the year.
When Sharapova came back from shoulder surgery in 2009, she didn't qualify for the WTA Finals. She qualified for the Tournament of Champions (an earlier version of Zhuhai) but didn't bother playing because she felt that "she didn't belong in that category".

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I think people in here don't understand that this situation is not normal at all. Serena winning 3 GS+priemier mandatory/P5+other semis etc left other players with crumbs and almost no one had a good overall year (with injuries/illness or lack of form of some sort).
The points awarded are also for me a little bit too much but it's not entirely the fault of this tournament. It's the general point situation that makes everything crazy/absurd.

·
Registered
8,083 Posts
it'd be so fitting considering the current weak era... :facepalm:
Shame Vika can't capitalize on this 'weak era', she must be really awful :lol:

·
it's just me against the music.
27,305 Posts
Venus will never play a second league Final Champhionships like Zhuhai. It would be degrading for a champion of her caliber. Either she qualifies for Singapore or she will be done for the year.
When Sharapova came back from shoulder surgery in 2009, she didn't qualify for the WTA Finals. She qualified for the Tournament of Champions (an earlier version of Zhuhai) but didn't bother playing because she felt that "she didn't belong in that category".
It's an Olympic year and she needs the points. We might see her. If it weren't an Olympic year, I would agree with you.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
MM champions tournament was ridiculous but this one is much worse I believe, especially considering that there are likely going to be 2 players ineligible for both tournaments in between. :help: There should not be any WTA tournaments after YEC.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts