Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alison!!!!!! Welcome back to Asia girl! All married, carrying this new found mental approach. So exciting to see her enter this new stage of her career, in a better place.
The other girl losing is just the cherry on top :grin2:
Bye girl :wavey:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Zhengzhou R1: Alison "New Mental Giant" Riske def. Kerber 5-7 6-4 7-6(6)

Alison Riske has had such a great season, and Kerber the opposite. This ones gonna hurt for her but the best fight I’ve seen from her in a long while.

This match sorta highlights why I love tournaments like this. One of these 1st round matchups where you know you’re gonna get good tennis, even if one hasn’t won a match since July 2nd.
The crowd was proper into it too, cheering for both sides of the court which is refreshing after two weeks of Serena at the US Open.

Apart from that, Paul Hand is annoying and talks too much.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts

This was such a fun match! What a dogfight. :worship: One of Kerber’s best(?) or at least most aggressive matches of the year? I certainly enjoyed watching her in this one more than I have in other recent matches where she seems uninterested and just mid-paced defending.

It was kind of humorous too, with the huge grunting and both coming up with absurd winners to break each other (Ali had 50 overall). They kind of play similar games, have similar shrieks, and they were both so loud and fired up. :lol: Initially I don't think Kerber even cared to try and compete this hard until Riske's noise and winners got in her grill. So feisty from both, in a good and sporting way.

Riske’s BHDTL has been the best on the tour this season, and on grass or in Asia she continues to be a lot more clutch than she used to be. Deserving win. :)

·
Registered
7,331 Posts

Poor Angie :hug: Losing streak continues, but she fought really hard, so still an improvement. She even had a MP and won more points!

Riske peaking in China NID. 50/49 stats for her. She's been so clutch these days, ever since 's-Hertogenbosch. :worship: What an improvement in her mental strength, compared to earlier where she was losing finals left and right.

Really excellent match to watch!

·
Registered
11,746 Posts

The fall cometh

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

The losing streak continues. 5 in a row now...:help:

·
Registered
18,844 Posts

Honestly, why is Angie still playing every possible tournament???

·
Registered
12,493 Posts

The last thing Kerber needs is a troublesome asian swing, Wuhan and Beijing still to come.:scared:

At least she put up a good fight, tight match that obviously could have gone either way.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts

Saw this coming from a mile away when I saw the draw. I didn't expect it to be this close though with the way both have been playing over the past few months. Glad to read that Angie seemed to show some fight in this one and played reasonably well.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts

Honestly, why is Angie still playing every possible tournament???
With great sponsor comes great responsibilities.
If I were a successful player, I'd try to avoid them. If you win millions at Slams you don't need sponsors that want their brand to be displayed as much as possible, forcing you to play too much. Perhaps they are not forcing any player to play more events, but to keep the sponsor in the future, they feel the need to enter lots of events.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
This is for sure the best season for Alison. Another really good win, Sai Sai next!

Angie has a bad luck to the draws and lost a tight match again. Does she play in Osaka next week?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Poor Angelika takes a WC only to lose in first round

1 - 20 of 38 Posts