Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even i will admit the scheduling was very tough on Svitolina, looked dead on her feet in the third set.

The organisers of this event are at fault, 3 of the 4 top seeds starting their first match on Thursday... and then it rained.

Kiki rightfully took her chance.

Record breaking multiple deuce game in the 4th game?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Svitolina has SO many chances thank's to Kiki's nerves but she couldn't take them. Her first serve was MIA in the third set especially and while Kiki could threaten Svitolina with her FH, Svitolina didn't pressure her back in return.

However, considering how she was screwed over by the scheduling, it was really commendable the way she was fighting for each point, despite looking really exhausted. No lead looked really safe for Kiki. A lot of WTA players should take notes (cough cough Sloane cough cough).

·
Registered
87,421 Posts
Kiki :yeah:

·
Honorary Admin
99,476 Posts
Nice win Kiki :yeah: 15th top10 win (3rd one this season)
Svitolina hasn't held a service game in the last set :eek: Kiki got broken many times as well :eek:

Stats of the match:

1st set:

2nd set:

full match:

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Would've been over much sooner had Mlad been a better player

Other than that, big kudos to Elina for fighting through the fatigue she must've felt
I think Elina is or has been below her top physical form for a while. Somehow despite that she is on a 2 GS Semifinals streak right now not ever making it this far before, but at the same time is yet to win a title this year.

Mladenovic errors were quite painful to watch and all these DF's including this game when she was serving for the match. That game in the 1st set with 18 deuces was quite a rarity. I liked that Kristina was willing to come forward here and hit many dropshots, it's a good choice against grinder that is Elina. Very weak serving from Svitolina, her puffball 2nd serves were eaten alive for winners by Kiki.

There was also an astonishing number of netcords in this match :spit: I don't think I've ever seen so many in one match. Many wacky points too also as a result of it, both players had to improvise every often and engage their intuition and agility.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
I wonder if Sasha is starting to feel now this collab is worth it.

Great to see Mladonna back in a premier event semi final.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Why is Svitolina tired? She is not new on the tour and should know when to play and when to rest. If she showed up here, it's because she knew she was ready to play.
Rain delays is part of the deal at every tournament. It's no excuse.

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,248 Posts
What resurrgence? Mladenovic was lucky Svitolina spend over 5 hours on court today. :spit:

Why is Svitolina tired? She is not new on the tour and should know when to play and when to rest. If she showed up here, it's because she knew she was ready to play.
It's an excuse when the other player only has to play one match instead of two. You seem to think these players are robots? In this case you're a complete fool :lol:

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
What resurrgence? Mladenovic was lucky Svitolina spend over 5 hours on court today. :spit:
It's an excuse when the other player only has to play one match instead of two. You seem to think these players are robots? In this case you're a complete fool :lol:
The fool is you. No one forced Svitolina to enter a tournament straight after she played the 2nd week of a slam. She had a BYE too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If Svitolina could of won this match she would of moved into 8th place in the race. As it stands now she's still in the 10th spot - however she's only 52 points out of the 8th spot:

8 Belinda Bencic 22.5 SUI1 3615 - - - - - -
9 Kiki Bertens 27.7 NED1 3580 - - - Lost in Zhengzhou R16 - -
10 Elina Svitolina 25 UKR1 3563 - +99 - Lost in Zhengzhou QF - -

https://live-tennis.eu/en/wta-race

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hey pal, i'm not a Svito fan, but if you consider that after 5 hour of playing you can find some efficiency you are delusional! Kiki, the more fresh player, was awful with her DFs and errors, she saved her image with some nice dropshots! Anyway she was very lucky with this schedule! Congrats Sacha, a great coach, hope Osaka family is not in ruin!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
That's the WTA statmakers being very generous again. :lol: They both hit a LOT more unforced errors, but I guess they're being counted as 'forced'.

Bit disappointing compared to the other QFs. When you saw Mladenovic's DFs and implosions every time she went ahead it makes you wonder how she's able to win these matches. The consecutive DFs serving out the match were very typical of her closing anything out. Once again her BH wasn't totally horrible today, she's really improved that this week. But she also got help from a LOT of lucky netcords today.

Svitolina was exhausted (being dropshotted to death only made it worse) but kept playing the ball right back to her in important moments and then looking shocked that she got crossed. :lol: Not a tactical match from her but she almost stole it in the end thanks to her opponent.

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
Hey pal, i'm not a Svito fan, but if you consider that after 5 hour of playing you can find some efficiency you are delusional! Kiki, the more fresh player, was awful with her DFs and errors, she saved her image with some nice dropshots! Anyway she was very lucky with this schedule! Congrats Sacha, a great coach, hope Osaka family is not in ruin!
What schedule? Didn't Svitolina know the schedule before flying from New York?
No excuses. It's too easy.

·
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
11,327 Posts
What schedule? Didn't Svitolina know the schedule before flying from New York?
No excuses. It's too easy.
There’s a difference between playing two days in a row and playing a 2h30 marathon in the morning and taking the court for another long match just a few hrs later. Any player would be exhausted after that.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts