Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was expecting a lot from Angie Widjaja, and she did won 2 tournaments. but in 2003, she hasn't played really well at all, she's been losing most of her tournaments in the 2nd round, and most of her matches she played were all 3 setters. I still believe in Angie, and i hope she will enter the top 50 very soon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,731 Posts
Bovina, after her defeat of Venus, I thought it would all come together, but after a dissapointing Aus Open, it all fell apart.

Myskina, how she is in the top 10 I have no idea, shes going to be one of those players, who can beat everyone below her, and is thrashed by those above her (except Dokic).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,458 Posts
I agree! Widjaja definitely has the game- she just hasn't had the results yet. Hopefully, though, they will come :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Angie's record this year is 8-11.

best win over Schnyder at Indian Wells 64 62

worst lost against Kirilenko in Hyderabad 75 57 36
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
bovina, stevenson, kournikova (to get back in the top 20 after her injuries), molik, kuznetsova, douchevina, daniilidou (to reach top 10), lucic (to get back to where she was), bradshaw (see lucic), cory ann avants, afinogenova, bastrikova, razzano, marrero, lee-waters, lina k (to get back to what she was before her injury), baltacha, bielik stosur (i was hoping she would run with her good start to the season).

of course i haven't really been waiting that long for most of these players.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,095 Posts
stevenson and tulyaganova's...

im yet to see iroda making a slam quarters or even fourth round :sad: or winning an important title :sad:

or alex doing the same or even winning a title.. after that end of 2002 season, i thought she would win something this year and etc..

i just wish them good luck :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
yes, stevenson has been very dissapointing this season considering how she was going at the end of last year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
yeah i know, but i would have expected her to do better in australia esepecially with that open draw after cappers went our in the first round.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Gowza said:
yeah i know, but i would have expected her to do better in australia esepecially with that open draw after cappers went our in the first round.
nah... when has she had a decent slam after Wimbledon 1999?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
she hasn't had another good slam result but she was starting to play better more consistently. i thought she would carrying her indoor form into the australian season and the capriati lost in the first round which opened up her section. i don't really lokk at past slam results i just base things mainly on form at the current time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,233 Posts
Gowza said:
bovina, stevenson, kournikova (to get back in the top 20 after her injuries), molik, kuznetsova, douchevina, daniilidou (to reach top 10), lucic (to get back to where she was), bradshaw (see lucic), cory ann avants, afinogenova, bastrikova, razzano, marrero, lee-waters, lina k (to get back to what she was before her injury), baltacha, bielik stosur (i was hoping she would run with her good start to the season).

of course i haven't really been waiting that long for most of these players.
Add Marissa Irvin and Iroda Tulyaganova to that group. :sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,218 Posts
While it's too early to add Safina to the list, I still flat out disagree with her early rush to the big tour (esp. as her mother, Rausa Islanova, is a real coach, not a "parent-as-coach"). If Sharky's time in the Challengers and Vera D's in the Juniors turn out to have prepared them better, Dinara will get clobbered with about 10,000 stories re. having been hyped because of who her brother is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Gowza said:
she hasn't had another good slam result but she was starting to play better more consistently. i thought she would carrying her indoor form into the australian season and the capriati lost in the first round which opened up her section. i don't really lokk at past slam results i just base things mainly on form at the current time.
She was starting to play better, but i don't see much consistency in her results.

I think you should have a look at prior slam results. when was the last time Alex made a big run in a Tier I, much less a grand Slam? Her progress has all been made in lower Tier events, which should tell you what to expect from her at majors, ie. Nothing much.

And what's the deal with saori obata beating down Stevenson at all chances? She's like dechy to Alex's shaughnessy, or Roesch to alex's dementieva.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,950 Posts
well she was consistent during the indoor season wasn't she? i can't be bothered to look them up. i thought one of those indoor events she did well in was a tier 1 or maybe it was a tier 2 but she did get to the semis of a tier 1 or 2 this year but i haven't followed her since the oz open.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,078 Posts
Gowza said:
well she was consistent during the indoor season wasn't she? i can't be bothered to look them up. i thought one of those indoor events she did well in was a tier 1 or maybe it was a tier 2 but she did get to the semis of a tier 1 or 2 this year but i haven't followed her since the oz open.
gowza, last year she'd hit a hot streak for three or four tournaments and cool off. she did this twice, at the beginning of the year, and again at the end. What's consistent about that?

Last year she reached the final of Linz (tier II) and this year (as a very lucky loser taking Serena Williams' spot in the draw) made the SF at Tier II scottsdale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,902 Posts
Gowza said:
bovina, stevenson, kournikova (to get back in the top 20 after her injuries), molik, kuznetsova, douchevina, daniilidou (to reach top 10), lucic (to get back to where she was), bradshaw (see lucic), cory ann avants, afinogenova, bastrikova, razzano, marrero, lee-waters, lina k (to get back to what she was before her injury), baltacha, bielik stosur (i was hoping she would run with her good start to the season).

of course i haven't really been waiting that long for most of these players.

kuznetsova, douchevina :confused: :rolleyes: are you serious?

Sveta is doing quite o'k for someone who is playing her second season on the tourr... Vera has played just one tournament... what do you want from her? She is still in juniors...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,064 Posts
Casanova, i thought she'd do well this year since she had great results last year, and beat her first top ten player, Justine Henin, but then shes hardly won a match this year (well partly due to drawing a top player in the first round most of her tournaments, but she still lost to non top players a few times)
Also Stevenson for the last few years, every time she shows her potential and talent she follows up with a 6 month slump :rolleyes:
Bedanova for the last few years too.
 
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Top