Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the year 2002 you had your big breakthrough, and your fist title was in Estoril or somewhere like that and you had a really good time there.

It's now 2003, will you play the Family Circle Cup to get more money and ranking points, or will you go back to Estoril?

I think, that I would go back to Estoril and I decided to write this thread becuase it annoys me that as soon as players hit the big time they abandon the samll tournaments that helped make them.

Eg, neither Chanda Rubin or Jennifer Capriati went back to Quebec.
Justine and Venus didn't go back to Gold Coast ( I know Gold Coast didn't exactly make Venus's career).

Why doesn't Hantuchova play in Bratsilava?? I'm sure that Slovakian people want to see her. Instead, she plays Zurich ( more money, more points).

Am I being unrealistic in expecting big players to play @ small tournaments?? :confused:

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Sofiane said:
Ok, Kim always goes back to Luxembourg, even if it's a tier III.
Because she always know she'll win it ;)

·
Registered
34,273 Posts
Serna has won Estoril again this year and she could have played in the US:)

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think the wta has rules for that. it's not always the choice of the player at least it was not a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Yes irma. I'm not 100% certain but if a player broke through enough to become a Gold Exempt Player, the rules make it harder for players to fit those smaller tournaments in as they're required to play a certain amount of higher-tiered tournaments.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Its only natural to progress to higher tournaments because you get more money and more points and better opposition, so why wouldnt you play it if your ranking is high enough?
What i dont like to see is players still playing Challengers when they have a good enough ranking for main draw of a Tier III.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts