Tennis Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2434 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm so excited, I just beat a 4.0 guy (for me that's a HUGE accomplishment) 7-5 6-2. I think I played the best match of my life too there

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
i am going to play tennis tomorrow! The person I am playing - I used to lose to in national juniors. Thankfully the weight of life has worn us both down and I'm hoping that due to this the field may be a bit more even. Due to the withering of ambition and the second guessing of oneself which seems to manifest itself after a few life setbacks i may have the psychological advantage! (I'll see if I can get a recording of any of it)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
So I'm now in group 2 (I started playing in september) and we have a new group.
I have to practise with a 60+ year old man atm...
Yeah everybody has to learn it and I'm no pro either, but he can't hit a clean shot :mad:
Not the best way to learn it :help:

·
Administrator
39,851 Posts
So I'm now in group 2 (I started playing in september) and we have a new group.
I have to practise with a 60+ year old man atm...
Yeah everybody has to learn it and I'm no pro either, but he can't hit a clean shot :mad:
Not the best way to learn it :help:
Focus on keeping your eyes on the ball, miss-hits from opponents tend to come back off-pace, with weird spins, or ridiculous angles ... so it's a good chance to train yourself to keep your eyes on a non-traditional moving ball through the bounce and your own swing/strike!

·
Witthöft stan
17,084 Posts
It is my first season in 4.5- for a singles flex league, called Ultimate Tennis. I don't really know what the "minus" means, though.

I've played 4.0 for like 2-3 years straight, so I was nervous starting this season. But, I've started with 2 wins out of my first 2 matches!

First match was 62 63. The guy I played made too many errors, didn't hit the ball very hard, serve was pretty weak, and didn't hit a lot of winners. I was able to dig and hold a couple of times while down break points. I served pretty well and was using my short angle CC BH effectively. But I don't hit winners either :lol:

Tonight was tougher, but I won 36 61 63. In the end, I started using my 2 hand BH cut slice a lot more, which slowed his pace down, and he shanked a lot more balls in sets 2 and 3. It's sort of junk-ball, but I had to use it because even though he didn't hit with a ton of pace, he took the ball early and was able to hit so many nice angles, especially with his BH. But errors started creeping into his game, and I scrambled for my life probably 1000 times. After the first set I knew it was going to be really hard, but I won some key points and it was so much closer than the score might suggest.

We started our warm-up at 6:30 pm, and we were done a few minutes before 9 pm :hysteric:

·
Administrator
39,851 Posts
It is my first season in 4.5- for a singles flex league, called Ultimate Tennis. I don't really know what the "minus" means, though.

I've played 4.0 for like 2-3 years straight, so I was nervous starting this season. But, I've started with 2 wins out of my first 2 matches!

First match was 62 63. The guy I played made too many errors, didn't hit the ball very hard, serve was pretty weak, and didn't hit a lot of winners. I was able to dig and hold a couple of times while down break points. I served pretty well and was using my short angle CC BH effectively. But I don't hit winners either :lol:

Tonight was tougher, but I won 36 61 63. In the end, I started using my 2 hand BH cut slice a lot more, which slowed his pace down, and he shanked a lot more balls in sets 2 and 3. It's sort of junk-ball, but I had to use it because even though he didn't hit with a ton of pace, he took the ball early and was able to hit so many nice angles, especially with his BH. But errors started creeping into his game, and I scrambled for my life probably 1000 times. After the first set I knew it was going to be really hard, but I won some key points and it was so much closer than the score might suggest.

We started our warm-up at 6:30 pm, and we were done a few minutes before 9 pm :hysteric:

4.5 :hearts: I want to play you!

I've been playing 4.0 level for two years now, but haven't been formally bumped by the computer. :shrug:

Maybe this season I stop having those bad day type matches, haha.

·
Witthöft stan
17,084 Posts

I've been playing 4.0 level for two years now, but haven't been formally bumped by the computer. :shrug:

I've never done singles through USTA, so I would bet I wouldn't be at a 4.5 level through an official NTRP rating :lol: Maybe 4.0 at BEST.

I've only ever done Mixed Doubles through USTA and I'm rated 3.5 there, which I think is pretty fair. Been on a team that started at 6.0 combined, but we're currently at 7.0 combined. Moved up a couple of seasons ago.

If you're ever in Atlanta, we can definitely hit ;)

·
Witthöft stan
17,084 Posts

Were you aware that the USTA changed Mixed Doubles so it is only 18+ for the Friday night matches during the Spring? Last Fall I texted my captain if we were doing another Friday night Mixed team and she told me the Fall season is now only 40+ :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I can only play like 5-6 matches max for Friday night Mixed Doubles for USTA because I'm not 40 years old :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
39,851 Posts
I've never done singles through USTA, so I would bet I wouldn't be at a 4.5 level through an official NTRP rating :lol: Maybe 4.0 at BEST.
I've only ever done Mixed Doubles through USTA and I'm rated 3.5 there, which I think is pretty fair. Been on a team that started at 6.0 combined, but we're currently at 7.0 combined. Moved up a couple of seasons ago.
If you're ever in Atlanta, we can definitely hit ;)
I'm a USTA 3.5, but I play 4.0 level most days. This season so far (since December) I've played 18+ 7.0 Mixed, 18+ 8.0 Mixed, Tri-Level 4.0, and 18+ Combo Mixed 7.5.

This summer I'll be playing in our section champ 3.5 team and I'll be captaining a 4.0 18+ men's team.

Were you aware that the USTA changed Mixed Doubles so it is only 18+ for the Friday night matches during the Spring? Last Fall I texted my captain if we were doing another Friday night Mixed team and she told me the Fall season is now only 40+ :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I can only play like 5-6 matches max for Friday night Mixed Doubles for USTA because I'm not 40 years old :rolleyes:
Our leagues play all over the place time wise. A lot of the 40+ leagues have a weeknights flight and a weekend flight.

I'm also one of like 3 people in our teams that can't play 40+, so I usually just have the 40+ teams invite me to their practices anytime there's not an active 18+ team.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Just lost one of weirdest match I ever played 6:0, 6:7(4), 4:6. Was in total control led 6:0, 2:0, then got broken for 2:2, led again 4:2 and then 5:4, also 6:5 but my opponent kept comming back. At 1:1 in tiebreak my opponent sliped and felt on his knee, was bleeding bit. We take 3 mins rest and after he played like he was born again hitting forehand winners (2 of them on line) and suddenly it was 4:7 for him. In final set he continued to play great and was leading fast 4:1. In sixth game in saved 4 BPs and held for 4:2 and then broke him for 4:3 but he returned favor for 5:3. When he served for match I broke to love and was serving for 5:5 but got broken after leading 40:15 finished with dumb backhand UE. :lol:

·
Administrator
39,851 Posts
Played my first doubles match in 4 months ... holy crap has my served waned into DF bliss.

5-7 6-4 7-6(3)

I'm honestly sad I haven't been able to play as much down here in Jacksonville as I did in Pittsburgh ... so it's a work in progress.

2381 - 2400 of 2434 Posts