Tennis Forum banner

Does Dinara Safina hoist the winners trophy at the 2009 French Open?

  • Yes

    Votes: 58 54.7%
  • No

    Votes: 48 45.3%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say Safina is in Paris the clearest favorite going into any Grand Slam since at least FO 2007 (Henin). Yet Safina is unproven with no GS titles, and many seem to doubt she'll win. Let's see what numbers the wise prognosticating minds of WTF come up with.
 

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
Joined
·
36,481 Posts
I'd give her about a 40% chance. But considering that leaves the rest of the field of 127 players with just a 60% chance between them I'd say 40% is pretty damn good. I'm not saying she is sure to win but I like her chances a hell of a lot more than anyone else's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,016 Posts
She is the favorite but Im not sure she will win. Im still concerned that she wouldnt beat the top girls when it really matters but maybe she'll prove me wrong(but I doubt it).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,352 Posts
I would say Safina is in Paris the clearest favorite going into any Grand Slam since at least FO 2007 (Henin). Yet Safina is unproven with no GS titles, and many seem to doubt she'll win. Let's see what numbers the wise prognosticating minds of WTF come up with.
I tend to agree. She is a clear favorite to the title.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,916 Posts
i hoped Serena would be serious about going to 4 straight slam finals, but she has totally spiraled down since her Aussie win.

no one will stand in Safina's way but herself. this is her time to shine, and i hope she can do it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,786 Posts
My question is ... what is the difference in the clay in Rome versus Paris. I ask because Venus took Dinara to 3 hours so Dinara needs to Paris to be even slower or someone will trip her up
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,215 Posts
Wasn't Madrid even faster than Rome?
And the French is traditionally slower than Rome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,474 Posts
Dinara can beat anybody anytime, but it all depends on her mentality. If she is very aggressive and keeps her cool, she can win it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,539 Posts
She's the overwhelming favourite given her recent results. However it's almost too good to be true to me.
1/ She probably peaked too soon (reminds me of Dementieva before OA in a lot of ways)
2/ Apart from Venus she has not faced a top player during those 3 warmup tournaments.
3/ She has yet to prove to be able to hold her nerves during a GS final.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,996 Posts
If Dinara's going to win her first Slam, this year's FO is the perfect opportunity for her to do it. No one can predict the future, but I doubt her chances to win a Slam at Wimbledon or U.S. Open are going to look this good. The Clay is her favorite surface. She's going in playing great. She's in great shape physically and mentally. She's the top favorite, so all signs indicate it's hers for the taking. If she wins it, I won't be surprised. If she doesn't win it, I also won't be surprised, because the Slams are a whole different story and so much more pressure to perform on the big stage. So only time will tell if she'll be able to overcome her nerves and finally win a major.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bobbynorwich

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,180 Posts
If Dinara's going to win her first Slam, this year's FO is the perfect opportunity for her to do it. No one can predict the future, but I doubt her chances to win a Slam at Wimbledon or U.S. Open are going to look this good. The Clay is her favorite surface. She's going in playing great. She's in great shape physically and mentally. She's the top favorite, so all signs indicate it's hers for the taking. If she wins it, I won't be surprised. If she doesn't win it, I also won't be surprised, because the Slams are a whole different story and so much more pressure to perform on the big stage. So only time will tell if she'll be able to overcome her nerves and finally win a major.
Not much else to say, that pretty much says it all.

;)
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top