Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I don't know how many of you actually play Tennis themselves, but I was just curious about the worst defeat you've ever experienced...

Mine was this: a year ago I played a QF of a little regional tournament (I'm just a club player), lost the first set 6-3, then went up 5-0 in the second set, had 40-0 at 5-2 and still lost the set and the match in the tiebreak 7-1.

IT STILL MAKES ME WANNA SCREAM!!!!!!
...allthough not as hard as I did when I saw MH lose the AO final...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I've never really had bad defeats I just kick my friends arses(you no who you are!;))
My worst would be I lost 0-6 0-6 cause I played crap!! I had loads of game point chance's!!!!!!About eery game went to deuce!

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
I've played county and club matches for about 15 years now ( I'm only in my mid 20's by the way ) and although I lost some matches quite heavily as a junior when playing against seniors I'd say the loss that annoyed me most was last year when I changed clubs from my childhood club and my new club had a match against my old club. I had to play a guy from my old club who always played one place below me on the team and to whom I had never lost a set in about 10 years of junior and senior tennis and somehow I lost 6-3 in the third. I was so annoyed by that loss.

·
Registered
594 Posts
When I first started to play I think I lost 6-0 6-0 to this little 14-year-old guy who was really cocky in this end-of-year club tournament, who wasn't that good, but I just got so nervous and I just hit balls everywhere. It was so embarrassing, and then my coach asked me what the score was and I almost felt like crying!! NEVER AGAIN!!

It is about 5 years on now and I hope and know I am 100 times better, but I have lost 6-0 6-1 to a top county player before. I am not embarrassed by that b/c I know that I am not at that level, and perhaps never will be.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
My worst lost over 2 sets was 1-6 4-6.

I hate losing... :sad:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Get this...my club had a "Calcutta Tournament" this weekend. Do you know what a Calcutta format is?

It is a mixed draw, men are randomly paired with a woman. Teams are then handicapped according to their ability. Then people bid on that team to determines who wins. Generally done for a charity event.

We lost in first round, but then were in the consolation round. We made it to semi-finals yesterday. Our opponents (man was strong, woman was also weak) were serving (the man)...we had a break point to tie the game. They popped up an overhead off a shot of mine and it was an easy smash...to my partner. I told her I would get it but she didn't listen and popped it outside the court! Anyway...it was a key point and we ended up losing. Had we gotten to the final...we would have been guaranteed at least $600! If we won...we would have received $800.00!!!!

So right now...this counts as my worse!!!!!!:fiery:

·
Registered
16,654 Posts
In summer 2000 I played a little tournament organizated by friends.

I lost first round 6-1, 6-0 :sad:

In another tournament I reached the second round and I had to play with the best of that tournament, in 2000 I was 17 and he was 26.

He won the first set 6-2, but the second I was leading 5-1! :eek:

I don´t know what happened...Final Score: 6-2, 7-6 (4) :sad:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
When I was 15, I lost to some guy 6-0 6-1, and I swore that I'd never lose (or play) that badly again. The loss hit hard because it was my only defeat that year in school competition. I played so damned badly! He was a pesky serve-volleyer too.

I remained undefeated throughout the rest of high school. After I finished high school, I virtually gave up tennis for nearly 5 years. Then I decided to join a club and become good again.

Last year, I played my first club championships and was crushed by the No. 2 seed, who only got in at the last minute because he'd forgotten to submit his entry form. We met in the QF and I lost 6-2 6-0. I made way too many errors and played so badly!

This year, I have taken my tennis more seriously and have improved substantially. I began playing league competitions (I'm on an 11-match winning streak) and training 3 times a week. I have proven to myself that I can match it with the big guys and beat them. I have won many fans at the club as a result. :)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My worst defeat came 3 yrs ago. I was playing in my second tournament (club tournament) and it was on clay or something like that. Well I made it to the semis, winning my first 2 matches pretty handily and came up against the top seed. Well I really didn't think I stood a chance until after I had won the first set 6-1. About 20 mins later I was up another break and was leading 6-1 5-3 40-0. I couldn't believe I was about to beat this guy. He's a really good player. Anyways on the first match point, he saved it with a crosscourt backhand that I thought was wide, but I guess it barely caught the line. The mark was there. I would have called it out. I made a forehand error on the next mp and then on the third I hit a similar backhand and it was called wide. But I swear, the mark was identical to the backhand he had hit on my side and it was called in then. Well by now, I'm panicking slightly. I let the calls bother me, end up losing the second set 7-5 and lost the third 7-5 as well after being up a break 5-4, 30-0.

I cried after that match. Yes as grown as I be. *sniff* So many opportunites, nevertheless, I played him about four months later and whipped him 6-4 6-4 on hardcourts. Ha!

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I once lost 6-1 6-2,but I was wearing some crappy shoes and I didnt have my hat on(sun),and I was using a racquet I never played with,so,that doesnt really count....:(

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
my worst defeat.....lol......the past two weeks or so ive had a few losses!...its just my forehand wing has been very off , and it used to be the side i used to set up points...so now im stuck just scrapping alot! :rolleyes:

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Well Basically a defeat that shocked me a lot was a 2nd category event Final in December 2000 i had won 6/2 the first set then i was down 5/0 set point, and went back to 5-5 but lost it 2/6 7/5 6/3 .... i was so tired i knew it i had to win in 2 sets but i wasted break points to serve for it :( !!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My most embarrassing defeat wasn't the one I described in my previous post - the one where I lost after a 5-0 lead - but one of my very first matches when I just started tennis....
It was a singles competition with matches of 1 hour, and I once lost to one of my friends with the score of ...... 19-0.....IN ONE HOUR!
I mean, that's 6-0, 6-0, 6-0, 1-0!!!!

Last year I played this guy again and still lost but it was 6-4, 6-3 so that was quite OK but I'll never forget that 19-0 score...

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
I once had a match similar to yours. I was playing this girl who is a couple years younger than I am and I was leading comfortably 6-2 and 5-3 and had 40-15. I had no doubt I'd win that match but i ended up losing the set 5-7 and in the third I lost in the tie- break. It doesn't end here. I was supposed to play her a month later in another tournament, I really wanted to take revenge and was really confident but I lost 0-6 1-6 :eek: Still don't understand what happened to me that day....

·
Registered
116 Posts
lost to my best friend 6-1, 6-1

:sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've never had an embarresing singles loss (good record), but there is one doubles loss that really pisses me off.

Last year, I was playing Varsity first doubles for the conference championships against a school of preps (Bishop Eustace). The two kids on the other side of the net had been upset by us earlier in the season (7-6, 6-2) and we were up 5-2, 30-30. I was at net, and smashed the ball for a winner. The smash hit the frame of my racket, and made a funny sound. However, knowing they were on the brink of defeat, they bitched that I "double hit". We were there for ten minutes arguing at the net, coaches and all. Finally, my partner, the idiot that he is, says "JUST GIVE IT TO THEM". :fiery:

We lost the next five games. We went up 4-2 in the second set, but lost the next 4. Final score, 5-7, 4-6.

To make matters worse, the next time we played them we lost 2-6, 1-6. This just goes to show one point really can make a difference. Talk about a momentum swing.

EDIT: Got the scores wrong. Can't add simple whole numbers...

·
25,384 Posts
1989-a club match in Japan. I was leading 5-2 40-15. Two set points! The first he passed me clean, then on set point two my shot clipped the tape, bounced up, and landed just on my side. Rollo never gives up, and i was fighting all the way. When I was down 6-5 the other player ran to the net and shook my hand. The "match" was over! I had NO idea it was a one set match, with the set set ending at a score like that. I felt like pulling a Mcenroe, but saved my anger for later.

Now that I look back on it it's funny. Kind of like the time the tournament director announcing matches called me "Mr. Foreigner"(gaijin-san) rather than my last name. He explained to me that he was afriad he couldn't pronounce Rollins:)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If you went 4-2 up and lost the next four games, woudnt it ave been 6-4???

I once played doubles with Monica_Rules against another pair from Wrexham!! We didnt really play much doubles or enjoy it that much but played for the team! One had ginger hair and a huge serve and the other was older and more of an old player(not much power, very consitant an good vollyer). We where getting really pumped up and shouting 'C'MON'(we only ever do this as a laugh) and having so much fun, just to lose 0-6 1-6!!!
We had loads of chance's but we couldnt convert them cause we where inexperienced!!! The only game we won was the guy with the big serve's!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts