Tennis Forum banner

What's your favorite kind of music?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Anything except for jazz, blues, punk and rave. Also include gospel, traditional, reggae, house and others. Depends on my moods, and what I am doing. I like classical music when I am writing boring reports a number of composers especially Mozart and Handel.

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Really? Well, when I toured through Europe in the 80's, I heard them everywhere, especially in France (along with Bryan Adams). They toured Europe in 1977 (returning in 1981, 1983, 1988, 1992, 2004 and 2007 to sold-out dates, including France) So, I don't know what rock you've been hiding under there, but you really should get out more.
As I said, probably a case of popular band with their followers (and prog rock bands have their special followers), but not much praised by the critics. I never went to see Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson, Genesis in concert, but I heard about them, and I've read about them, and I've heard their records. In France, not much about Rush. I wasn't hanging around with Bryan Adams fans, though.

·
Registered
18,955 Posts
I like a lot of different forms of music. So hard to exactly pick one.

I don't listen to country or metal as much but I don't dislike them generally speaking. Only real peeve is some unoriginal contemporary indie pop music which everyone seems to enjoy these days.

For me, I gravitate most towards songs with good storytelling quality, and defined textural elements. Dynamic variety is important to give a song life. Harmony, rhythm, beat and bassline are pretty big parts. Thus mood, method, magic, and occasionally madness characterise my listening preferences.

I will mention I am an INFP by Myers Briggs personality inventory (aka the idealist, dreamer) so I do dissect out the intersection of musical textures with story naturally.

As to genre, hiphop and rnb are my no.1 go to. Followed by pop/electronica/dance. Then jazz/blues, folk. World music is good, if only I had more exposure.

Decade wise I like the 70s, 80s, 00s most for different reasons. 70s matches more with my idealist proclivities. What I feel about 70s is an air of freedom, expression and idealism matched well with some good artistic genius. It was a very romantic musical period with very clean crisp recording. I could say 70s had such a Hollywood grab about it. Some of this romance would lay off into the next decade, but the popular 80s period was by contrast was a lot more commercial and industrial, solemn, though I also had an affinity to the 80s as well for the textures. And 00s just makes me feel young again :lol:

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
As to genre, hiphop and rnb are my no.1 go to.
What's your kind of hip hop? :)

So far what I enjoy the most is jazz rap - Tribe Called Quest for instance. Otherwise it's hard to get all the lyrical flow - especially ponctuated with millions "fuck", depending on what you listen to. :eek:h:

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Really? Well, when I toured through Europe in the 80's, I heard them everywhere, especially in France (along with Bryan Adams). They toured Europe in 1977 (returning in 1981, 1983, 1988, 1992, 2004 and 2007 to sold-out dates, including France) So, I don't know what rock you've been hiding under there, but you really should get out more.
It seems that you're trolling and fooling readers with blatant lies... https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/rush-emc

quote of the canadian encyclopedia that you copied

"Rush made its first European tour in 1977 (returning in 1981, 1983, 1988, 1992, 2004 and 2007)" but there's no mention of sold out date in France...

and more below:

"CRIA identified Rush in 1990 with Bryan Adams and k.d. lang as the "artists of the decade" for the 1980s." (that's for the Bryan Adams mention)

According to a much more genuine source from French fans of the band (Rush en concert, du rêve à la réalité... - Sounds Mag'), only one concert in France in 30 years of career... in 1992, and ONE date in Paris during the 80's... that was cancelled. The fans made a trip of 200km just to find out at the entry that it was cancelled.

Their general complaints here and there: "Why is Rush not more famous in France?"

Another source here: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/billboard-spotlight-on-rush.php

Canadian Icons Find Fans Everywhere
Loyal International Followers Wait Years Between Rush Tours

By Steve Adams

The allegiance of Rush fans worldwide explains why the group has sold some 10 million albums outside North America, according to its management, about one-quarter of its career total of 35 million units.

The act's biggest market beyond the United States and Canada is the United Kingdom, followed by Germany, Brazil and Japan. The band also has a healthy following in northern Europe, particularly Scandinavia (led by Sweden) and Holland, and in South America.

CONSISTENT SALES

Universal Music, which distributes the band's pre-1989 catalog, reports sales of close to 1 million units in Europe during the past 12 months. Yet despite consistently solid sales, the European media barely acknowledges Rush's existence.

The situation is especially apparent in the United Kingdom, where the trio was initially criticized by a punk-friendly music press and has been largely ignored ever since. This is despite top-five album chart placings for the best-selling "Moving Pictures" (1981), as well as the likes of "Signals" (1982) and "Grace Under Pressure" (1984).

"The British press prefers gimmick acts," says Peter Noble, managing director of Noble PR in London. Noble PR is currently publicizing Rush's U.K. DVD collection "Chronicles" from Universal Music DVD Video, "Rush in Rio" from Sanctuary Vision Entertainment and the group's upcoming U.K. tour.

"When it's a respected rock group that's been around for 30 years," Noble observes, "[the British press is] not interested."

Noble says Rush has the most dedicated fans he has come across, so campaigns for the DVDs and the tour have been "fan-centric," with the Internet playing a major role.

Shows at London's Wembley Arena and Birmingham's NEC sold out immediately, with the remainder likely to post sold-out signs long before the band opens its European tour in London Sept. 8.

"The success of the U.K. tour is not down to media support at all," he says. "The dates are selling out through word-of-mouth and the loyalty of the fans, many of whom will attend more than one show."

Neil Warnock, chairman of the Agency Group in London, echoes Noble's views. The Agency Group has booked all of Rush's tours outside of North America, from its first tentative steps into Europe in 1977 to its largest shows to date in Brazil in 2002.
Alex Lifeson

TICKETS MOVE FAST

"Rush has an amazingly dedicated fan base who are very sharp at getting hold of information, so the marketing almost takes care of itself," Warnock says. "Tickets sell fast because of a loyalty factor that goes back for years."

Jacob Harregaard, international marketing director of Warner Music International, also praises the dedication of Rush's fan base. WMI has released Rush's albums since it switched U.S. labels from Mercury (PolyGram) to Atlantic in 1989. European sales have been solid, if not outstanding, ever since.

"Rush is a difficult band to market but has a very loyal fan base," Harregaard says. He notes that European sales during the past 15 years have averaged 250,000 units per album, with "Presto" (1989) leading the way at close to 300,000 units.

"The band's European status is atypical for this type of act-sales find a level and stay there because the fans stay loyal," Harregaard adds.

That support, he says, "creates great opportunities to work the catalog and do something special for the fans, though it must be high quality to reflect the nature of the act."

WMI is considering a new best-of package featuring post-1990 material and is also looking at repackaging the Rush catalog, including upgraded vinyl replicas. That strategy worked well in a recent campaign for Led Zeppelin.

"The focus is very much on celebrating the band's career, but most of the activity is U.S.-led," Harregaard states. "The U.S. has been very much the key market in later years."

INFREQUENT VISITOR

That last comment is of little surprise, given the lack of media support the band receives across the Atlantic. However, another factor is that Rush has only played European dates twice since 1983.

Warnock, a self-confessed fan of the band, is as frustrated as any other follower by its lack of live appearances.

"It's been a long time between drinks," he says with a laugh. "I'd love them to have played every couple of years, but they tour in a way that feels right for them and I respect that.

"Having said that, I do all I can to encourage them to tour and let them know where they can go. For instance, if they wanted to go back to Japan, I'm sure they could do very well." (The only time the band played shows there was in 1984.)

Warnock, who encouraged Rush's management to book the band's first dates outside of North America in 1977, says the success of its first South American shows in 2002 "proved to them that they had fans down there" and could encourage the trio to play other new venues in future. This year's European tour includes debut appearances in the Czech Republic and Italy.

"The band has always been very particular about production," Warnock notes. "On the early tours they brought everything with them, including the PA and lights. One of the reasons they haven't toured more is the sheer cost of bringing their shows to Europe, because they want to ensure the fans see the same show as in the U.S. and Canada.

"That remains true today, but production elements in Europe have caught up with the U.S., so they don't bring as much gear with them. Even so, it's a very unique production with several hundred tons of equipment."

Judging from the brisk ticket sales for the 30th Anniversary tour-the band's first European dates in 12 years look certain to sell out-fans abroad have been waiting eagerly for Rush's return to the international stage.
I think that says enough.

I opened a thread about music, and was positive about the Moving Picture album, and the fact Rush didn't get much airplay and media coverage in Europe says nothing about the quality of their music, that is enjoyed by many prog rock fans in the world. And that's the point of this thread: sharing music tastes.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
I listen to alot of stuff. I don't listen to much classical, as I just don't expose myself to it much. Don't like too much metal. Mostly I listen to...

'50s-60s jazz
60s Motown
70s R&B/Soul
80s punk/indie
80s-early 90s pop
late 80s-early 90s hip hop
early-mid '90s pop-punk/shoegaze/alt-rock
'10s jazz & shoegaze

but what gets me the most is propulsive electric guitar rock with real drums. I want to feel movement, the emotion doesn't matter, just feel the hair raise on the back of the neck. Basically this guy's genre....

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I listen to alot of stuff. I don't listen to much classical, as I just don't expose myself to it much. Don't like too much metal. Mostly I listen to...

80s punk/indie
early-mid '90s pop-punk/shoegaze/alt-rock

but what gets me the most is propulsive electric guitar rock with real drums. I want to feel movement, the emotion doesn't matter, just feel the hair raise on the back of the neck. Basically this guy's genre....
In the noise rock field, I was highly impressed with Hüsker Dü, Mission of Burma, Green On Red, Dinosaur Jr... :yeah:

·
Registered
18,955 Posts
What's your kind of hip hop? :)

So far what I enjoy the most is jazz rap - Tribe Called Quest for instance. Otherwise it's hard to get all the lyrical flow - especially ponctuated with millions "fuck", depending on what you listen to. :eek:h:
I am pretty open to many forms, from 90s to contemporary trap, even "hardcore". You do learn to get used to expletives after a while :SNE:

A selection of favourites (some I have also sent on the best song games)

Of course not all hiphop is just rap

If you like jazz hiphop listen to Dela's album Change of Atmosphere:

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for all the links :)

I would not encourage other posters to do the same, though - I want this thread to be a house of discussion more than a house of vids (other music threads are just that). Vids or links to vids remain welcome to illustrate the comments - but, say, not more than 2 or 3 per post. ;)

I enjoy your comments, Matmagix. :yeah:

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
J Dilla is cool - makes me think of how much Sly Stone was ahead of his time. :)

I love the Supastition vibe, too - warm and luminous

Danny Brown: the most original/edgy of the lot :yeah:

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Rate Your Music, one of the best sites on the web about all music, has this list of main entries to all known genres of music:

Ambient
Blues
Classical Music
Comedy
Country
Dance
Electronic
Experimental
Field Recordings
Folk
Hip Hop
Industrial Music
Jazz
Metal
Musical Theatre and Entertainment
New Age
Pop
Psychedelia
Punk
R&B
Regional Music
Rock
Singer/Songwriter
Ska
Sounds and Effects
Spoken Word

They also have an entry called "Descriptor" for all kinds of musics that don't fit into a specific genre of music, such as "film soundtrack" for instance. As for the specific genres of music themselves, they often overlap with those different entries. The ten options of my poll roughly cover all those genres if such thing ever was possible.

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Reggae is in Regional / Caribbean / Jamaican Music

Ska has become a genre of its own they say, with three waves of Ska, one in Jamaica in the 50s-60s, one in UK in the 70s-80s and one in the US in the 80s-90s. It's one of the most small entries of the list (along with New Age and some other curiosities).

Probably Reggae could be considered as a genre of its own too, with its many subgenres (the most known being Roots Reggae). It think it's some Jamaican Dub DJs who inspired the early stages of the Hip Hop scene in New York?

·
Premium Member
36,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If I start to list all the genres and subgenres of these entries, I'll have about 1600 genres of music... :eek:h:

I have them listed in a doc. for my own interest. If I get rid of all the overlaps, that's about it.

Regional Music has 370 music genres... and that's without counting Traditional Folk Music that I keep in the Folk entry.

Among the things I learn from these regional classifications, is that there is a difference between what's geographical and what's cultural. Cuban Music, for instance, is geographically Caribbean, but culturally Latin American, unlike Jamaican Music.

Same for Celtic Folk Music, for instance, a genre that you find in many parts of Europe, from Ireland to Spain, even as far as Canada in the case of Newfoundland Folk Music.

·
Art & Futures
20,299 Posts
I wish we could select multiple options

·
Registered
30,797 Posts
41 - 60 of 262 Posts