Tennis Forum banner

What's your favorite kind of music?

• Total voters
521 - 540 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
We all seem to agree then about the new Angel Olsen album. Way too overblown and grandiostic. Hopefully her acoustic album will be an improvement. Frankly, it could hardly fail to be.

Quite a contrast to the delightful albums from Weyes Blood and Cate Le Bon this year anyway.
Sometimes grandiostic things can sound good. Here, as Hugues mentioned, there was something just "off" in the production, the parts didn't fit in together.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Sometimes grandiostic things can sound good. Here, as Hugues mentioned, there was something just "off" in the production, the parts didn't fit in together.
But I often have that same feeling with Angel Olsen. Except for her acoustic performances, most of them sounded better than her standard records.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,537 Posts
Orchestration can sometimes work a treat (Forever Changes, Jean Claude Vannier, Lee Hazlewood etc). But I'd say when orchestration does work well it is usually because it isn't grandiostic. But yeah, I am willing to accept there might be the rare exception to this. Other possibility here is that we have different interpretations for what we would define as "grandiostic".

I'm thinking of things like Nightwish, which I am pretty sure you loathe as much as me.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
An entry this week in RYM Top 1000 (directly to top 816), Jeffrey Lewis & the Voltage's album released last November, Bad Wiring. Here's the opener:

I'm sure it's Chris cup of tea (reminds of Jonathan Richman or also early Ezra Furman), and I can easily keep a song from the album for a 2019 comp. 🙂 (the more so as I need male vocals to balance the many female voices that such comp of mine would have)

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
It took a while to grow on me, but it did. Tyler Okonma is indeed creative. And I still have to listen to the previous album.

Just try it once a week and it will click: so many good songs on that album, hook wise, and feel wise. Too many to mention, as Tyler piles them up in true inspired fashion. He reminds sometime of Prince ("I Think", "Running Out of Time"), who seemed to have the same "genius", and sometime of Marvin Gaye.

So I don't know if this LP deserves the first spot of 2019, but it doesn't bother me that it does. Seriously, it could have been much worse. 😀

I have no idea if there are samples in this album, or if he composed everything on his own. In these digital days, it doesn't seem to matter anymore. I see Kanye West and Al Green in the credits, among others. So there must be some borrowed tunes?

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #529 (Edited)

Bravo Devi McCallion for this bouncing electropop single (released last summer). Devi is a member of Black Dresses, who released an album in 2019, I'll need to play that again. Devi also released an album with Katie Dey in 2018.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts

The last album of Cigarettes After Sex (the favorite band of Françoise Hardy) is certainly lovely, but too cute. It's for Dream Pop addicts, for sure, and recalls Mazzy Star. Nonetheless, can't deny the title song, "Cry", is sublime. It stands out. Ne boudons pas notre plaisir, as we say in french.
It's so BASIC. Ugh

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #531 (Edited)
^I agree. I literally hated it after several listens. Did that ever happen to you? 😃

That music requires too much complacency from the listener and doesn't stand the test of time. "Cry" gave me nausea upon the third listen, where weak art leads to.

But I still love Françoise Hardy. 🙂

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #532

Clever that the album had to be titled Droneflower, because that's a quality of the Drone genre that I find in this single released last March. I have several CDs of Marissa Nadler (the first five or so) and you can tell she never develops more than one idea per song, ceaselessly attracted to an obsessive, hypnotic atmosphere. Don't know what to think of her album with Stephen Brodsky yet. I wasn't convinced by the result, but wasn't surprised either that she would do that. The single here is much better than the one she released alone earlier ("Poison Summer").

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #534

That one isn't on the LP. But I can enjoy this (in an understated way) so the LP could be a grower after all.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
I'm tired of hearing the n***** word all the time in hip hop songs. I forgot that word existed before I listened to hip hop. 🙄

But now I'm also tired of people saying "fucking" all the time.

Happy New Year, miserable world. 🥂

Back to music. 😁

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #536

I totally like this. That's Jack Stauber's Micropop (no tag, it's the name) from Pittsburgh. This single is not on the LP (both released last summer), an LP made of 99 songs, each lasting an average of 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Great track. Better than anything from her slightly disappointing but still good 2nd album.
The trademark vocals, the noisy guitars at the end, and organ line there... she keeps folk rock alive. And her female voice is a fine balance to many other female voices. 😃 Indispensible to any 2019 comp! Did you see this? Courtney and Kurt Vile buying albums to each other. 🙂

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #539

It's hard to take the Gothic image seriously, and if I couldn't get into Chelsea Wolfe's last album, the strange flow of her single "American Darkness" remains remarkable.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #540
Actually now that I'm playing the full album again, the dark beauty starts to catch you in the second half, with "Little Grave" and "Preface to a Dream Play"...

521 - 540 of 572 Posts