Tennis Forum banner

What's your favorite kind of music?

• Total voters
501 - 520 of 572 Posts

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Since I use to mostly post my positives in this thread about 2019 music, some readers may not realize I'm selective... 😉

So, let's be "rude" this time around. I have no idea if there was a hype about the album below, a French one, I honestly hadn't heard about it, but yet I didn't follow music closely during 2019 (why I'm kinda catching up right now). Anyway: the album below is boring as shit. I think it really needed to be said to bother all the pedantics who dared to pretend otherwise. 😈

And since i'm French it gives me legits about the lyrics to the least.

View attachment 172781

But now, it is just my opinion. There's no anger needed against a musical project, against that artist and her fans. It's her right to record what she thinks is good, and actually there are interesting "moments" in this record that I played from start to finish. At least one. The guitars on "Tant que tu respires". But her way to sing and articulate words is unbearable to me. It wears "pose" all over the sleeve.

Why words like "genuine" mean something. Cherry on the cake, she seems to believe in God and the Devil, haha. Well, maybe she awakened the evil in me with such boring set of songs. 🎃
I don't think it was hyped outside France, at least I never came accross this singer.

By far not the worst thing I've heard this year, but I agree that there is something less appealing about it, something indistinctive.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #502
SB playlist, tracks 41 to 60

I liked:

Jake Xerxes Fussell - his voice reminds me of Richard Shindell

Tennis - a grower

Mark Ronson ft King Princess - bizarre because it sounds mainstream but it works... reminds me of Butterfly Boucher who made the same effect on me with her first album

Jessica Pratt - maybe my number one, could be a tie with Kate Tempest

Lamusa II

Drugdealer - hadn't notice Weyes Blood on the title but recognized the voice

Charlotte Adigéry - Interesting. She's Belgian-Caribbean.

I didn't dislike anything. Must say the Chromatics album was a bore to me once again, though. I can play the two tracks here but they hardly catch my interest.

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Chromatics is just comfort music for me at this point. :sneaky: I had to include them because I tried to be as honest as possible about my 2019. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Weyes Blood provided vocals for Drugdealer in the past on tracks which were better than "Honey". The rest of the Drugdealer 2019 album was a huge disappointment for me though.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #505

If I ever venture to make a 2019 compilation myself, I'm in need of male voices! The Belgian band Balthazar, along with a few others, may add a fine balance. I feel there's always a bit of something missing with every song on their album Fever, but the sound and the vocals are consistently good, and the whole thing remains tasty.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #507
Thanks for listening! :)
I really should have cut the list at 50 or 60. The last section is a messy hodgepodge. Beware! o_O
Thanks for sharing. My goal is to gather anything good to great in 2019 in music, any source is welcome. I'm currently checking RYM top 1000 albums of 2019 and have almost finished. 🤪

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
One listen is enough to value the quality of that album released last October.

Zonal is a project of Justin Broadrick (God, Godflesh, Jesu) and Kevin Martin (God) - actually a side project of a previous one called Techno Animal. Anyway, you can pick tracks at will from this album, Wrecked, to add something great of 2019 on any comp, from the Illbient genre.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #509
🙂

From the album Wet Dirt by Crimeapple & DJ Skizz, released almost one year ago (last February).

I just love the arrangements!

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #510
Lovely synthpop from Poland 🙂

The Enchanted Hunters blend the aerial, acidulous, kitsch vocals of Małgorzata Penkalla and Magdalena Gajdzica. They had already released an album 7 years ago, in english, of indie folk kind. They switched to their mother tongue for this second one, Dwunasty dom (rel. last November). Małgorzata also was part of another Polish band called Sorja Morja (indie pop, disbanded).

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #512
as long as it makes me discover good music, I'm fine!

Top 891 on RYM 😃

Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba - Miri

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
I'm saddened to report that Angel Olsen and FKA Twigs didn't make my Top 1000 this year. Better luck next time! :D

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #514
I'm saddened to report that Angel Olsen and FKA Twigs didn't make my Top 1000 this year. Better luck next time! :D
I concur for Angel Olsen - her album is one of the flops of the year to me. I don't blame the ambition (you know, a kind of Spectorian pop), but the result doesn't work - for me to the least. Her singing is too loud, and the arrangements are... bad. Spector is already of acquired taste, to boot. Other singers tried this - Paloma Faith, Maria Mckee... it's "casse-gueule" as we say in french.

On the other hand Caroline Polachek's one may be a grower (despite what I said earlier in this thread).

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #515 (Edited)

Courtney Swain - Between Blood and Ocean

It's easy to be intrigued with this album and this singer-songwriter as early as you play this record, since the first two songs are quite enticing, and songs that follow showing the range of an accomplished artist. Then you check more and find she's the singer of the band Bent Knee, who released also a record this year, better rated on RYM but that I didn't like (and still don't). Because when Courtney sings loud on tracks hardly tuneful, which is often the case for this "edgy" band (edgy in a debatable way) it's just cringing to my ears. But apparently Bent Knee has fans (indeed: every artist in the world has fans - the kind of fans who pretend they're the best fans on earth, it seems humans always need to worship someone or something). Anyway: Courtney Swain is to me much more interesting - and accessible - in solo (I gave a spin to her previous LP, Monstre, and it's interesting as well). The middle of this one left me more sceptical, but it does finish well with the last two tracks. When she remains quiet but with a kind of shut down, dark, mysterious tension, she recalls Nina Nastasia, which is a compliment.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
32,537 Posts
We all seem to agree then about the new Angel Olsen album. Way too overblown and grandiostic. Hopefully her acoustic album will be an improvement. Frankly, it could hardly fail to be.

Quite a contrast to the delightful albums from Weyes Blood and Cate Le Bon this year anyway.

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #517

Rustin Man - Drift Code

Rustin Man had recorded an album with Beth Gibbons more than 15 years ago (of which I recall the beautiful "Mysteries"). Rustin Man is actually Paul Webb, bassist of Talk Talk in the 80s. The artistry, as witnessed with the first three tracks of the LP here, leaves no doubt. Right?

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #518

Can you believe it? At 80 years old, releasing such good stuff? Bow down, we aren't worthy!

The album We Get By was produced by Ben Harper. No song from the album sounds as impressive as the opener, though (in my humble opinion).

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #519

That's the RYM Top 1000 for 2019 (but the order changed today, I need to check back some new entries). Tag for this one: Dungeon Synth 😀(also Ambient).

Behind Spopielony is Cezary Zieliński from Poland. Electronics, guitar, mixing, mastering, cover art, it's all him. I like this album, Legendy, which is one year old now. And the man's into Baudelaire, apparently (one of my favorite poets). The album closes on "La mort des pauvres" and a single is called "Fleur du mal" (not on the album).

·
Premium Member
37,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #520
SB playlist, 61 to 81

First, just realized today that Cleo Sol, one of my picks from your playlist, was the vocal guest of Little Simz for her "Selfish" hit (undeniably one of the catchiest tunes of 2019), and boy, does she make that hit with that chorus alone!

My faves from that last bunch of 20 songs:

Fat White Family: the video is a parody of the Monty Pythons. 😀

Destroyer: doesn't play in my country (too bad, I was interested by this one, that's Dan Bejar, I have one CD of him - Jessica Pratt is a fan too!). The song will appear on his LP to be released at the end of the month.

Róisín Murphy: I like this one too. Almost vintage disco, if there wasn't that more contemporary electro sound.

Chrysta Bell - I like this.

Caroline Polachek - So Hot etc - probably my fave of the LP

Carla dal Forno - lovely.

501 - 520 of 572 Posts