What's your favorite kind of music?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to know what's TF major preference in music

and of course an opportunity to discuss music far and beyond... ;)

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Over the last few months I've been enjoying experimental stuff the most. Nothing like being stunned and surprised by some people's ideas and creativity. Some stuff you would have never thought about, or even dreamed of hearing, if it hadn't been made out.

Examples coming to mind being This Heat's Deceit, Glenn Branca's The Ascension or William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops.

·
Registered
30,799 Posts
Roots Rock - rock that incorporates elements of American roots music, i.e. blues, folk and country. :music:

·
Registered
30,799 Posts
A true Canadian :laugh2:

After all The Band invented the genre! :yeah:
The Band only helped return people's attention to it in the midst of the psychedelic era. And Creedence Clearwater Revival were ploughing a similar path at around the same time.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
It's really different, depends on my mood. Mostly rock, metal, gothic and on the other side I also love ambient, shoegaze and whole kind of dark music :yeah:

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Band only helped return people's attention to it in the midst of the psychedelic era. And Creedence Clearwater Revival were ploughing a similar path at around the same time.
I was blown away by the Creedence Cosmos Factory last time I played it. Especially the opening track - good Lord! They were amazing. ;)

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's really different, depends on my mood. Mostly rock, metal, gothic and on the other side I also love ambient, shoegaze and whole kind of dark music :yeah:
I use the excellent site Rate Your Music as a point of reference for the music genres and they still haven't found a main category for the genre called "Darkwave", with its subgenres "Ethereal Wave" and "Neoclassical Darkwave". It seems there's a revival of that genre lately, with successful/hyped albums of Anna von Hausswolff and LINGUA IGNOTA.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I use the excellent site Rate Your Music as a point of reference for the music genres and they still haven't found a main category for the genre called "Darkwave", with its subgenres "Ethereal Wave" and "Neoclassical Darkwave". It seems there's a revival of that genre lately, with successful/hyped albums of Anna von Hausswolff and LINGUA IGNOTA.
Anna von Hausswolff is probably one of the best thing that happened to music for years. Of course for the darkwave fans. Creativity of this women is beyond this world. Do you know Chelsea Wolfe?

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anna von Hausswolff is probably one of the best thing that happened to music for years. Of course for the darkwave fans. Creativity of this women is beyond this world. Do you know Chelsea Wolfe?
I have heard of her, yes, she's highly recommended in some circles. I'll give it a spin. ;)

·
Registered
28,821 Posts
Most music I like has some psychedelic or hypnotic elements, loosely defined. Those can be found across a wide variety of music styles.

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice to see someone picking "regional music". By far the most broad of entries when you're aware it covers thousands of music genres in the world. :lol:

a few gates opening to hundred others:

African Music
Ancient Music
Arabic Music
Balkan Music
Brazilian Music
Caribbean Music
Caucasian Music
Chanson
Christian Liturgical Music
East Asian Music
Greek Music
Hispanic Music
Islamic Modal Music
Jewish Music
Philippine Music
Polynesian Music
Polyphonic Chant
Portuguese Music
Prehistoric Music
Romanian Music
Russian Music
Seychelles & Mascarene Islands Music
South Asian Music
Southeast Asian Music
Tibetan Traditional Music
Turkic-Mongolic Traditional Music
West Asian Music

And yes, people, there is such thing as Prehistoric Music. It's music played with instruments known to have been used in those times. Some people record that. And some people listen! Curiosity is a wonderful thing!

·
Premium Member
36,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I listen to all kinds, except country. But my favorites that I gravitate towards are progressive rock and a ton of '80s music.

Love old school '80s
I noticed progressive rock had a lot of fans in the world. It's a deep niche that goes mostly back to the sixties and seventies (when it feels like millions of elaborated LPs were released). Lots of Italian stuff too from a similar niche, symphonic prog.

As for old school 80's, it's mostly synthpop, right? I like it too. Well, not everything, but the synth sound is interesting when used with taste. Gary Numan and David Sylvian being fine examples. I can enjoy the lighter stuff too, but they went far in the light stuff in the 80s :lol:

·
Registered
46,018 Posts
I noticed progressive rock had a lot of fans in the world. It's a deep niche that goes mostly back to the sixties and seventies (when it feels like millions of elaborated LPs were released). Lots of Italian stuff too from a similar niche, symphonic prog.

As for old school 80's, it's mostly synthpop, right? I like it too. Well, not everything, but the synth sound is interesting when used with taste. Gary Numan and David Sylvian being fine examples. I can enjoy the lighter stuff too, but they went far in the light stuff in the 80s :lol:
The band Yes, early Genesis, Supertramp, Rush, Styx, etc.

There's just so much from the '80s I like. Prince, Duran Duran, Van Halen, New Order, a-ha, Billy Squier, The Fixx, The Jets, Journey, Living Colour, The Smiths, early Sinead O'Connor, Big Country, Talk Talk, The The, on and on.

Like many 50 year olds, 90% of what I listen to is from the '70s and '80s.

1 - 20 of 283 Posts