Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. Alot of players have been complaining lately about the schedule being to long blah blah blah and have for a while. This thread puts YOU in charge of the WTA Schedule AND ranking system. Please be naive, and don't criticize others w/o providing us an alternative solution.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
I would set up something similar to what the men have in the ATP, but I wouldn't shorten the season.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,629 Posts
i'd say TOO BAD YOUR FANS WANNA SEE YOU PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!

lol jokes..

i'd cut the schedule shorter.. and the cities that arent in the schedule for that season will be there for the season ... you get it? like for the small cities , they can take turn hosting a tournament...

example:

like cut Bali out, leave Moscow in... next season Moscow out, Bali in..

stupid example but trying to explain to you guys here...

Hopefully that would work.. :p

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Ideal Schedule:

KEY:
Australian Open = Grand Slam/Championship
Sydney = Tier One
Tokyo = Tier Two
Shanghai = Tier Three
Auckland = Tier Four

March
Week One: Tokyo/Shanghai
Week Two: Hong Kong/Gold Coast
Week Three: Sydney/
Week Four: Auckland/Canberra
Week Five: Australian Open

April
Week One: Australian Open
Week Two: Fed Cup Qualifying
Week Three: Moscow/Barcelona
Week Four: Rome/Warsaw

May
Week One: Brussels
Week Two: Bol/Bern
Week Three: Roland Garros
Week Four: Roland Garros

June
Week One: Fed Cup R32
Week Two: Birmingham/Newport
Week Three: Rosmalen (sorry I can't spell the other name):eek: /Eastbourne
Week Four: Halle
Week Five: Copenhagen/Dublin

July
Week One: Wimbledon
Week Two: Wimbledon
Week Three: Fed Cup R16
Week Four: San Diego/Atlanta

August
Week One: Miami/Stanford
Week Two: Chicago
Week Three: Bronx/Quebec City
Week Four: US Open
Week Five: US Open (finishes Labor Day weekend)

September
Week One: Fed Cup QF
Week Two: Philadelphia/Detroit
Week Three: Toronto/Boston
Week Four: Denver

October
Week One: Fed Cup Semi-Finals/Finals--Las Vegas
Week Two: The Porsche Championships-Los Angeles/Mexico City

(please note that all tournaments up to the Australian Open are on Rebound Ace, those between the Aussie and the French are on clay, those between the French and Wimbledon are Grass, those between Wimbledon and the US Open are on hard, and those following the US Open are on carpet indoors)

Rankings System:
Includes:
Your results in all four slams
Your result in the year ending championship
Your result in all 5 tier one events
the average of all of your other tournaments times the actual number of tournaments played or 5, whichever is lower.

Please note that if you do not qualify for the season ending championship (top 8 qualify), you multiply your average ranking of all other tournaments up to 6 times.

Tournament Requirements:
Tier One-All top 64 players in the world are required to enter all tier one events barring legitimate injury
Tier Two-Tier two events are guaranteed 5 top ten players, and 8 top twenty players overall
Tier Three-Tier three events are guaranteed 1 top ten player, and 4 top twenty players overall
Tier Four-Tier four events are not guaranteed any players

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
9,222 Posts
mboyle said:
BTW, you'd have from Mid October until March off;) .
Sounds good in this part of the world, but unfortunately, the Australian Summer begins in December, and you'd be neglecting one of tennis' biggest allies- the Commonwealth of Australia.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I failed to explain the beauty of this:

There would be a bidding process. Various groups would bid on the tier one/two/three slots. Whichever group agreed to offer the most prizemoney (minimum bid: 500K for Tier Three, 1Mil for tier two, 3 mil for tier one) would get to host the tournament in any city they wanted. If TennisAustralia really refused to move to March/April, then the RA slam would be moved somewhere else.

Anyone could host a tier four event for any amount of money, because no one is required to go:p .

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I agree that th eseason should be cut shorter.

I would begin the season at the beginning of february withe the rebound ace season. We would have the Dubai, Tokyo etc tournaments leading onto Sydney and then the Australian Open in the last week of february and the first week of March.

Then the clay court season would begin and RG would be in the 2nd and third weeks in May.

I would extend the Grass court season by making scottsdale and Miami grass court tournaments, before moving over to eastbourne in the week before Wimbledon. Wimbledon would be the first 2 weeks in July.

Then the usual US hardcourt season only with the whole season being a week later than it is.

Then a shorter indoor season with just the best tournaments culminating with the WTA Champs in the last week of october.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Um, there are no grass courts in scottsdale (the grass would fry within 30 min.), and there are only 2 in Miami, and neither have the room for a stadium. Good idea though!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Mboyle, I think your schedule's actually quite good. I have some minor quibbles (like would players be willing to play Fed Cup right after a grand slam finishes?), but overall, it'd definitely be a step in the right direction for the tour.

Personally, I think one big event is more worth having than ten small ones. And seeing the excitement and solid attendance generated by mixed-gender events (Miami & Indian Wells), I think having a series of those prestigious events would be better than having mediocre and disappointing ones week in and week out. Also, it would place a reasonable limit on the number of tournaments a top player would and could play (17 including Fed Cup) to minimize the exhaustion/injury/inaccurate ranking factor for the players.

Anyways, here's my schedule. Keep in mind that all the events (outside the Slams and Fed Cup) would offer 96-player draws and be played over 10 days. They'd also be played alonside the men. Lower-ranked players (outside the Top 120 or so) who don't make the ranking cut-off for even the qualifying rounds would have to play the challenger tour to try to improve their ranking. Also, the Fed Cup and the Davis Cup would be merged into a joint event called the World Cup of Tennis, which will be played at a single venue, also over 10 days. Also, there will be three events that will change venues each year: South American Open, European Open, Asian Open, and the American Classic. This is so that many viable countries will be able to host top-class events.

12/30 SYDNEY (Rebound Ace)
1/ 6 SYDNEY #2 (Final on Sat.)
13 MELBOURNE
20 MELBOURNE #2
2/ 3 SOUTH AMERICAN OPEN (Clay)
10 SOUTH AMERICAN OPEN #2
24 MIAMI (Hard)
3/ 3 MIAMI #2
10 INDIAN WELLS (Hard)
17 INDIAN WELLS #2
31 MONTE CARLO (Clay)
4/ 7 MONTE CARLO #2
14 ROME (Clay)
21 ROME #2
5/ 5 EUROPEAN OPEN (Clay)
12 EUROPEAN OPEN #2
26 PARIS
6/ 2 PARIS #2
16 HALLE (Grass)
23 HALLE #2 (Final on Sat.)
30 WIMBLEDON
7/ 7 WIMBLEDON #2
21 AMERICAN CLASSIC (Hard)
28 AMERICAN CLASSIC #2
8/ 4 TORONTO/MONTREAL (Hard)
11 TORONTO/MONTREAL #2
25 FLUSHING MEADOW
9/ 1 FLUSHING MEADOW
15 WORLD CUP OF TENNIS* (rotating venue/surface)
22 WORLD CUP OF TENNIS #2
29 TOKYO (Hard)
10/ 6 TOKYO #2
13 HOUSTON (Hard)
20 HOUSTON #2

*=The World Cup of Tennis will not be played on Olympic years, and the Olympic Event will be turned into a mixed-gender team competition (like the Hopman Cup or World Team Tennis).

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I think the current WTA schedule is too hectic the way it is because they are trying to shorten the calendar. I say spread it out the way it was from January to November, but tell the players to schedule more wisely.

JANUARY

Week One: Doha / Gold Coast / Hopman Cup
Week Two: Dubai / Sydney / Hobart
Week Three: AUSTRALIAN OPEN
Week Four: AUSTRALIAN OPEN

FEBRUARY

Week One: Tokyo / Canberra
Week Two: Paris / Bogota
Week Three: Antwerp / Acapulco
Week Four: Scottsdale / Kroger St. Jude

MARCH

Week One: Indian Wells
Week Two: Indian Wells
Week Three: Miami
Week Four: Miami

APRIL

Week One: Sarasota / Casablanca / FED CUP
Week Two: Amelia Island / Porto
Week Three: Charleston / Estoril
Week Four: Warsaw / Bol

MAY

Week One: Berlin / Palermo
Week Two: Rome / Budapest
Week Three: Strasbourg / Madrid
Week Four: FRENCH OPEN

JUNE

Week One: FRENCH OPEN
Week Two: Birmingham / Vienna
Week Three: Eastbourne / S'Hertogenbosch
Week Four: WIMBLEDON

JULY

Week One: WIMBLEDON
Week Two: FED CUP
Week Three: Stanford / Sopot
Week Four: San Diego / Helsinki

AUGUST

Week One: Los Angeles
Week Two: Montreal
Week Three: New Haven
Week Four: US OPEN

SEPTEMBER

Week One: US OPEN
Week Two: Leipzig / Shanghai
Week Three: Moscow / Bali
Week Four: Filderstadt / Tokyo

OCTOBER

Week One: Zurich / Bratislava
Week Two: Linz / Luxembourg
Week Three: Philadelphia / Quebec City
Week Four: Tour Championships / Pattaya City

NOVEMBER

Week One: Week Off
Week Two: FED CUP FINAL
Week Three: Off Season
Week Four: Off Season

DECEMBER

Week One: Off Season
Week Two: Off Season
Week Three: Off Season
Week Four: Off Season

For the rankings, I think they should include the results of all four Grand Slams (all counted regardless), plus twelve other tournaments (I think that's fair enough). Those points should then be divided by the number of tournaments they play. If you play more than 16 tournaments, you risk your ranking. The minimum divisor would be 16. The average points would decide the ranking positions.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
i like fantastic's schedule
but i believe the divisor system has its own shortcomings

because some players actually bring their average down playing in tier 3s. which is good for the event, but not their ranking

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
oh and i've something to add. i think that if you defend your event, you should also defend all your points successfully even if you have not gotten that many points this year. or the new points, whichever is higher

·
26,140 Posts
Many of you seem to forget that the women are PROFESSIONAL tennis players. So they should only be able to do their profession 8 months a year ?
Many players are struggling to make a decent living. They NEED to play many tournaments.
And you probably won't believe it, but there might be players who WANT to play 10 or 11 months a year, so why shouldn't they have the chance to do so ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.