Tennis Forum banner

Your Comments on the Players in Qualies??

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  In The Zone 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll be going to qualies -I've only seen or know a bit about a few of these players.
Anything you want to tell me (maybe a little summary about the player) that will help me enjoy/appreciate some of the matches a bit more?
I'd like to go in as informed as possible!! Thanks.

Of the players:
- I've seen play before: De Los Rios, Rodina (think she is special), and Savchuk.
- I've seen practice/know them by sight: Yuan, Shvedova.

Qualification (16 draw)
[[THIS IS OFFICIAL AS OF THURSDAY 5:00 PM]]
1. Julie DITTY USA 99
2. Stephanie DUBOIS CAN 100
3. Rossana DE LOS RIOS PAR 103
4. Martina MULLER GER 104
5. Evgeniya RODINA RUS 108
6. Barbora ZAHLAVOVA STRYCOVA CZE 109
7. Meng YUAN CHN 112
8. Olga SAVCHUK UKR 113
9. Magdalena RYBARIKOVA SVK 114-115
10. Su-Wei HSIEH TPE 116
11. Melinda CZINK HUN 120
12. Yaroslava SHVEDOVA RUS 121
13. Mathilde JOHANSSON FRA 124
14. Katie O'BRIEN GBR 127
15. WC.
16. WC.

See less See more
#8 ·
I think Rybarikova has some potential. I saw her in the Wimbledon juniors from a couple of years ago and she had a cannon serve for someone so young. I know she has been hurt since then, so I dunno what shape her game is in presently, but she'd be worth watching IMO.

Thanks, will watch Rybarikova, particular look at her serve. :wavey:

#5 ·
Mathilde Johansson prefers clay but she made a great match vs Kuznetsova in Wimbledon. Since beginning of 2008, she has trained sometimes with Amélie Mauresmo ( during AO, RG and maybe in Cincinnati). She won a 75K$ 2 weeks ago in Europe. Her serve is still week but she has a strong mental. She beat last year top 20 Flavia Pennetta. I guess she can follow Camille Pin's progress trend.

She is a pretty blonde girl, half French half Swedish. Her sister is one of the top US college tennis player (georgia tech).

#9 ·
Mathilde Johansson prefers clay but she made a great match vs Kuznetsova in Wimbledon. Since beginning of 2008, she has trained sometimes with Amélie Mauresmo ( during AO, RG and maybe in Cincinnati). She won a 75K$ 2 weeks ago in Europe. Her serve is still week but she has a strong mental. She beat last year top 20 Flavia Pennetta. I guess she can follow Camille Pin's progress trend.

She is a pretty blonde girl, half French half Swedish. Her sister is one of the top US college tennis player (georgia tech).
Thank you so much... very interesting. :hug: :wavey:

#7 ·
Czink is really good, so are dubois,strycova and if you want to catch a ball in the stands go to Martina Mullers matches.:)

#13 ·
Czink is really good, so are dubois,strycova and if you want to catch a ball in the stands go to Martina Mullers matches.:)
Czink, Dubois, Strycova. OK... anything in particular I can know to add some color to my watching?

I do know Dubois just beat Kirilenko at Montreal, did she not, to a lot of supporting Canadian fans?

Julie! :D Take pictures!

She's a lefty with a flat backhand and your typical lefty forehand (flatter than Patty's though).
Oh, gosh, have to get my camera ready, thanks for reminding me. Remembering how much work I put into pics from Indian Wells, though, and everybody here is gonna be interested in Olympics, not Cincinnati, I might skip it.

OK, I'll check out Ditty. She is older, no? Late 20's?

#11 ·
Katie O'Brien: if you want to get frustrated to your inner core, just watch her play. Anybody who can keep a clear mind when she is playing must have reached a state of enlightenment :lol: She is a decent ball-striker, but just lacks any major weapons. You never know what will happen with the serve and the grunt is something special!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.