Tennis Forum banner

Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???

26K views 107 replies 99 participants last post by  goat 
#1 ·
Yesterday I won a tight match, but I was on the verge of defeat. It was such a topsy-turvy match.
I the first set my opponent led 3-0, then I won 6 games in a row to win that set. In the second set, it was me who led 5-2 before losing that set in the tie-breaker...
In the decider I was down 2-5 and 30-40 but managed to save a match point and that gave me such a confidence boost that I won 5 next games and the whole match! The craziest one in my amateur tennis career ;)

How did your best escape from defeat look like?

#3 ·
My biggest was when I was down *1-3 0-40 in the first set, held that game and broke back at 3-4*, saved 2 BPs at 4-4, and 1 more at 5-5, then saved 4 SPs in the tiebreak at *4-6, 5-6*, *6-7, and 7-8* before winning it on my first SP for 10-8...then I ended up winning 7-6 6-2. Was a really fun match :lol:

#7 ·
:unsure: That is so mean lol. :tears:

#6 ·
I was 3-6 3-5 (0-40) down on my opponent's serve (he was serving for the match with 3 matchpoints) but I saved those (somehow!), broke back and took it to the tiebreak in which I won 7-5. I immediately got broken on my serve in the final set to go 0-1 down and was always playing catch-up. After that one break, we both held serve every time, so ultimately he was serving for the match at 5-4. However, I broke him and took it to a final set tiebreak... I won that 7-3.

Final score:

3-6 7-6(5) 7-6(3)

The. Best. Feeling. Ever.

#9 ·
I've had a lot :p TBH that's my specialty. But most have been in fun matches. The best in a tournament match was up 6-3 but down *5-2 then at *5-4 my opponent had set point but I won the game. Then he broke for *6-5 and had set point but I won that too. Then in the tiebreak I was down 5-1 and I won 7-5. He was crushed :angel:.

Another great one was 4-6, 6-1, 1-5 (0-30) for me, I won four points in a row there then saved a match point at 3-5 and won it 7-5. This was not an official match, but we had bet a large, large sum on who would win :hehehe::angel:.

#10 ·
I was down 2-5 15-40*. I broke my friend 2 times and was 5-5. Next I won my service, my friend too. In tie-break my friend was 4-0. I won 6 points a row and I was 6-4 in tie-break. Final score in this set was 7-6(7) for me :) I was so excited!

#11 ·
Yesterday I played a match against my friend. I was down 0-6 3-6 4-5. He served for the match and had 3 MPs. I saved them, won the set 7-6, the following set 6-1. In the 5th set he had another match point at 5-4 with me serving, before I won...

0-6 3-6 7-6 6-1 7-5. :)

#12 ·
I was down 1-6, 1-4 (0-40) against a player who I had taught the basics of the game. This was my first time on a tennis court in 2 months while he had been training regularly. He sliced his backhand and his serve and forehand had improved tremendously - my game was falling apart. At that point, I decided to start rushing into net on every point, approaching his backhand with the occassional cold winner hit to the forehand to keep him honest.

I saved 7 matchpoints and won 1-6, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2. After the match the guy goes, you didn't teach me everything about tennis. I asked what I'd left out and he goes strategy. :p

#14 ·
Before in a practice set against a guy I hate he was *6-5 40-0 up, saved the 3 match points, saved a 4th at deuce, won that game, 6-6. He went 6-3 up in the tiebreak, I got it to 6-6, then he went 7-6, 8-7, 9-8, and 10-9 up and I saved them all. I won 12-10. I was so happy.

#17 ·
This is a good one. :lol: So it was a USTA tournament on green clay, I won first round easily and won a huge match in round of 16, 6-4, 6-3. In the quarters, I was playing a kid from Florida... Good player, but I was playing my best tennis last year from March -> August (this tournament was in July :lol:) and I knew I was capable of winning. First set I went down 0-5 (I must've underestimated him :lol:) And I ended up coming back saving set points on 3-5 and 4-5 to win the set in a tiebreak. :lol: I ended up winning the match 7-6, 6-3 to make the semis. :bounce:

#21 ·
Once I fought back from 5-0 in the third set saving 4 match points at 5-3! In third set tie break I was down 4-1! Final score was 6-2 4-6 7-6(6)!
My biggest choke is when I was up 4-0 and 40-30 in the third set! Didn't have any match point! Lost that time 7-5 1-6 7-6(4)!

#22 ·
I was down 3-6, 2-5, 3 MP, saved those, got to a tiebreak, down 4 more match points, saved those. In the third set, I was down 4-5, down 2 MP and saved those and came back to win 3-6, 7-6(6), 7-5

#23 ·
in my local clubs tournament final i was down 4-6, 4-5, 15-40, saved the 2 mp's and won the 2nd set 7-5 to then go 0-4 down in the 3rd set. my opponent got tired and i ground out 6 straight games for a 2.30+ hour final win.

#26 ·
My best comeback in a tournament was:
It was the first round of my tourny last year, I was down 5-3 in first, came back to 6-5 then lost 7-6, in the tiebreak I led 4-1 and then was down 6-4, I had no set points.
I won the second, and then went down 2 breaks in the third at 4-1 and then was down 5-3, rolled off the next 4 games for the win. My forehand and serve were non-existent, so my backhand saved me:hearts:

Against ITZ, I am sure I had better ones, but I can't remember.

Another fun one from a match was I won the first set in a tiebreak 7-6, lost the second 6-0, and took the third in a match tiebreak. I was exhausted in the second after that long first set, so I tanked.:lol:

#27 ·
Me and my brother (tennisbuddy12) played a doubles match against a top 8 High school tennis team and were down 3-6,2-5 (or 3-5)...we somehow managed to get to 5-5 before going down 5-6 and then won the set 7-6(4). In hot conditions we went down 3-5 and came back to a tiebreak in which i served 2 aces in a row to tie it at 6-6 before we won 3-6,7-6(4),7-6(6).

I think we saved like 4 match points in that match..

Also I was down in the SF of a tournament 6-2,2-1 and i was serving 0-40 2nd serve..i was nervous and hot and i took a breather and won the second 6-3 and the 10-point tiebreaker i saved 4 mp and won 2-6,6-3,[15-13] against a very good rival..i played him the following week and was down 1-6,0-2,0-40 and down 4-2 in third and won 1-6,6-2,6-4 :lol:

#28 ·
In recent memory I would say last month I came back after thinking I was done for in the second set.
I was trailing an opponent who I rarely win sets against (let alone matches) 4-6, 2-4 but managed to win the match 4-6, 7-5, 6-0. The final set (bagel) was a pretty big confidence booster for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.