Tennis Forum banner

Your biggest comeback in a tennis match???

26K views 107 replies 99 participants last post by  goat 
#1 ·
Yesterday I won a tight match, but I was on the verge of defeat. It was such a topsy-turvy match.
I the first set my opponent led 3-0, then I won 6 games in a row to win that set. In the second set, it was me who led 5-2 before losing that set in the tie-breaker...
In the decider I was down 2-5 and 30-40 but managed to save a match point and that gave me such a confidence boost that I won 5 next games and the whole match! The craziest one in my amateur tennis career ;)

How did your best escape from defeat look like?

#34 ·
It was an important match for my club. I was down 2-6 6-2 *0-4, came back to *5-4, lost serve and was down *5-6, won the tiebreak and the match 7-5.

#35 ·
I have some good comebacks through the years (hey, I'm nearing 50!), including from a set and 5-0 down, saving multiple match points along the way, and then rallying again in a third set. I've lost my share of those matches, too, not always because I choked -- sometimes, the guy just starts playing lights-out tennis. My best comeback was in a high school match in my junior year against a guy who had beaten me in straight sets the first time we played. This time, I played him even and got to a third-set tie-break. This was the mid 1970s, and we played the nine-point, sudden-death tie-breaker. I went down 4-0, facing five straight match points. I saved them all and won the match!

#38 ·
In my 4.0 league final, I lost the first set 3-6 and it wasn't even close. I could only return 1 of his serve the entire set and barely held on to mine for three games. It wasn't even that I was playing badly. His serve has just on a whole different level. It has so much spin and more pace than any serves I've face before. I swear he was serving pro level because 95 percent of his second serves were right on the line.

I just hanged in there got some serves back, and won the second and third set 6-2 6-1

#39 ·
Down 6-2 5-2, won 2-6 7-5 6-2 :cheer:

In doubles, my team was down 4-0 in the third set, and we won it in a tie-break :worship:

#40 ·
I didn't win the match, but I was down 6-2 4-1 playing my usual hit and miss, ball-bashing game. I thought I would change it up and play some pathetic pushing tennis (not like me at all, and even more unusual as I move maybe a step quicker then Maria, on clay, when it's damp.) It worked and I won the second set by 6-4 and had multiple match points in the MTB where my pushing got me in trouble as I didn't have the balls to go for my shots on my MP's and ended up losing 12-10. :hysteric:

#41 ·
I rarely choke and rarely come back :shrug:

My biggest comeback would be winning 06 75 76 in April. The boy is a bit stronger than me, and he had beaten me 3 times so I was delighted to win tis one. First set I got crushed but in the other two sets I just made sure I fed him no forehand and ran everything down. That was a good match :tears:

In practices though, I have come back from 1-5 several times. :shrug: When I don't really feel like playing, that's the score I usually wake up at. :p

Biggest choke - Losing a match from 3-0 40-0 first set, 4-2, *5-4, *6-5 second set => 36 67 :tears:

#42 ·
Back when I used to play club tennis as a kid, we were playing a doubles match and found ourselves down 0-5*. As nothing was working and we wanted to keep the match going, we started moonballing, and I really mean moonballing. We hit so many lobs that they became increasingly frustrated and started missing most overheads. We eventually took it in a tie-break (played at 5 all).

Afterwards we encountered one of our opponents sitting on the ground crying. :rolls:

#45 ·
it wasn't really a comeback but I was up a set (6-4) but down 5-o in the second set...I won 64 75 saving like 3 set points

#46 ·
I was down in the first set 1-4, got the score back to 4-4, then it started pouring and the match was postponed until the next day. We came back and I lost the opener 6-4. Then my opponent goes up a quick 4-0 lead in the second and then a 5-1. After this, I realized I had nothing to lose, so I let it rip and took the second set 7-6 in a tense tiebreak. I then took the third in a 10-point tiebreak. Great match!! I saved 6 match points.

#47 ·
I was playing a guy who is fast and redirects every ball back a real grinder probably a strong 4.5 level guy but I knew I could hit threw him so I built a strong lead going on and taking the set 6-2 in 40 minutes ... The second set I started to get sloppy I made a triple double by barely sailing my serve long ( I was hitting quite flat with no spin) which is normally a very affective serve for me... I got pissed and let him into it and he ran away with the second 6-3... at this point I'm like " how did I let this pushover into this?" I realized I needed to take my time hit varied serves hit a few slices out wide to the ad side And got some short balls which I put away with easy still he managed to grind his way with help from my own sloppy footwork to 6-5 with 2 matchpoints' first matchpoint I whipped a cross- court return bomb followed by charging the net and hitting a swinging volley nicking the outside of the sideline on the ad side. Second point he hit a weK second serve which I easily dealt with a bdtl winner. I followed it up with a strong final set tie break and beat him 7-0:) he never beat me again:)

#48 ·
My best come from behind win was in a league match against someone who usually beats me, came out on fire and won the first set 6-0, then the usual pattern came back and lost the 2nd 3-6, then got down 2-5 in the 3rd. My opponent had 6 match points in total at 5-3 and 5-4 up, and I took the match on my first match point, 7-5 in the 3rd.. he was a bit shocked and speechless afterward...RESULT!

#49 ·
For me it was during an indoor tournament. I was down 0-6; 0-4 and my opponent hit a great passing shot to get to 0-40. I made my opponent a compliment about his amazing level of play - and meant it! - and then suddenly something happened. He made one error after the other, I won the game, got back to 4-4 and proceeded to win the set and the match.

You see, it doesn't hurt to show your opponent some respect every once and a while ... ;)

#50 ·
ITF (Clay event - about 5 years ago):

2-6, 0-5* (0-40) to 2/6 7/5 6/0 - saving 3 match points with 3 backhand winners. I still remember it because 2 of the winners called out and the umpire checked and they were in. All on a SF match :lol:

#52 ·
Once I was playing someone and trying to be aggressive as usual but kept getting outrallied and I would always hit a shot into the net. I was losing 6-0 2-0 then I was like screw it and decided to just counterpunch (read: push) and hit slices, drop shots, moonballs, etc. which really threw my opponent off and I ended up winning 0-6 6-3 7-5 :lol: I guess changing up your tactics can really work after all. Though it felt weird to not play my usual game I guess sometimes you just have to adjust when nothing else is working.

#53 ·
Umm.. well once i was down 4-6, 2-5 and eventually won 4-6, 7-6, 6-3. That was in a league match..

#55 ·
3-6,0-3 down I eventually won 3-6,6-4,6-4 even though i was playing against a pusher on clay and my dad was writing evry winner and error i made.After the match i saw the so called statistics...Turns out i won even though i made 26 winners and 38 errors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.