Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts
Losing 5-2 first set, came back to win that one, down 5-1 in second set, came back to win that and was down 5-3 again in the third set and I won the tiebreaker and he had the lead by four points 0-4 at the start and I managed to win it 8-6.. :lol:

Not too long ago about a month, I was having a friendly match with my former doubles partner. I managed to take the first set 6-1 and was 4-1 up in the second with a double break. Then, my game deserted me. Granted his game improved but I just couldn't find the court . Generally my games were two double faults and two unforced errors. The set slipped away 6-4. And the final set followed similarly. I think in the final set I won 3 points.
Final result 1-6 6-4 6-0. So it wasn't my comeback but my opponents. Losing 11 games in a row.
Confidence shattered!

I was once down 2-6 in the 3rd set TB and won 8-6 including a point with 3 overhead that I chased down!

The guy was pissed of at the end.

Forget the scores of the first 2 sets at this stage but was *5-3 40-15 down in the third, saved the 2 match points, another at deuce, broke for 5-4*. Promptly went 0-40 down, saved the 3 match points, held for 5-5, he held, then had another 2 match points at 15-40 on my serve in the next game, held, and won the tiebreak and match by like 12-10 after saving another 3 match points in the breaker :lol: It was crazy.

In Doubles, was down 0-6 3-5, won 0-6 7-5 6-2.

And then the other day, we were down 5-7 1-2 (a break), then came back for 5-7 6-2 4-0, then it got to 4-4 before we closed it out 5-7 6-2 6-4.

In Singles a month or so ago, I was down 9-6 or 9-7 in the STB, and won 11-9:hearts:

In Doubles, was down 0-6 3-5, won 0-6 7-5 6-2.

And then the other day, we were down 5-7 1-2 (a break), then came back for 5-7 6-2 4-0, then it got to 4-4 before we closed it out 5-7 6-2 6-4.

In Singles a month or so ago, I was down 9-6 or 9-7 in the STB, and won 11-9:hearts:
:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

A few weeks ago I was down 4-6 1-3, then came back and won the match 4-6 7-5 6-3

I was down 2-6 0-4* to one of my good friends who played number 1 singles that year (I was number two). I had always played ahead of him on the team but played a terrible preseason match against him and he vaulted ahead of me. When I got down that bad in the second set I remember just being so angry that I was just going to swing away. I broke my friend hitting multiple winners that game which I don't think he was expecting. I just kept going for it and won six straight games. Ended up taking the match 10-something in a match tiebreaker. :)

I was down 4-6, 0-5 deuce in the last singles match of my high school career before coming back and winning 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-0. I played doubles in the post-season so it was a nice, dramatic way to go out on top. :D

My last 4 league matches, I've lost the 1st set but won the match in 3. For the first 3 of those matches, I knew I would win the match even though I lost the 1st set, because the guys didn't have great serves.

But today's match was different. My opponent was a 5.0 player with a monster first and second serve. His placement was immaculate and his serve was 'heavy' on my racquet. He was putting spin on it but still getting it to move through the court and hitting the corners.

I only broke his service game ONCE in the entire match. And that's how I won.

I'm a slow starter so my serve game was woeful in the first set and he won it 6-3. His forehand is also very good. Very aggressive topspin he puts on it so it really jumps forward after the bounce. In the first set he was killing any ball that was above waist level.

2nd set was awful because he was holding at love or 15, and my service games were constantly going to duece. I always managed to hold though. His breakpoint conversion rate in the 2nd set was awful lol.
So no breaks in the second set and we went to tiebreak. I got tentative and nervous and doublefaulted and found myself down 0-3 in the tiebreaker.
I switched to my 2nd racquet (still poly string) but at a higher tension, so I could be confident in hitting out. I made the mental adjustment to play the ball, to move to it, to take it early.
This resulted in some spectacular points in the tiebreaker. 1 overhead winner, 2 swinging volley winners, 1 lob winner and forced errors.
My opponent wasn't making as many first serves now, and got lucky with some really good returns off his second serve.
I didn't lose another point and won the tiebreaker 7-3.

3rd set started with my opponent serving. His focus dipped for a little bit and he gave up a df and some loose points and I broke him. My serve was in full flight at this point, and not to brag but when I'm timing it well with good weight transfer, I hit a big serve, flat or kick so I wasn't worried about my service game. This is a good thing because my opponent's serve game came right back and I couldn't make a dent in it for the rest of the set.
I held at 5-4 to win the match. Last point (at 40-0) was an unreturned flat serve out wide, right on the line.

Final Score 3-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4.

I'm very proud of the comeback and win because he is the toughest opponent I have faced this year so far.

I've saved match-points quite a few times, especially in the last year or so. Most of the time it comes when down a set and the second-set gets quite tight and the opponent obviously gets the chance to close out the match. However I would say my greatest ever comeback would be a 7-6, 6-7, 7-6 win I had in the summer last year on grass in the local box league. The surface wasn't offering much of a bounce and the ball was coming through the court so quickly that day. It will come as no surprise that there were no breaks, and I would estimate nearly an ace per service game for both my opponent and I.

The comeback part of it was in the final set tie-breaker where I was 6-1* down and he had five match points with two to come on his serve. I had to work very hard to save the first couple of match points on my own serve. Two second-serves that weren't especially good, but I managed to get into the rallies early and come through the court with powerful forehands and force an error from him in the first match point and put away a straight-forward chance at the net in the second match point. At this moment, I was playing without pressure because I knew my opponent would likely bang down an unreturnable serve in one of the next two points, so I thought my chances were limited. At *6-3, he only rolled in the first serve, which surprised me, but I was able to hit a commanding slice back and get into the net to execute a good enough stop volley from the response. He double-faulted in the next point, so it was back on serve in the breaker. I was pumped and hit two excellent first serves to force a match point of my own. One was an ace out-wide and the other yielded an easy fore-court backhand put away. Poor fella double-faulted again to give me the match, but I had to play some great points to get back in it, but also get a lot if luck with him double-faulting twice at the death.

It's a sequence of points I remember really vividly and pretty sure I always will.

I think my best one was saving seven match points as a kid, but that wasn't really a comeback, just a really tight match. And for some reason I'm better at remembering my own chokes than those of my opponents!

This season I started a match going down 0-6 0-3 15-40 because I was seriously hung over and ended up winning 0-6 6-3 6-2 :lol:

61 - 80 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.