Tennis Forum banner

which youngster has the best chance for a win over a big name?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
youngsters vs. 1’s: ivanovic and tati lead poll

from the matchups above none of these players have played each other yet, which up and comer do you think has the best shot at taking down a former number one? currious about which of these matchups is the most anticipated too?

discuss

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i voted for golovin. of these matches she has the best chance to win. depending on where serena is with her fitness i think she should still win, but it could be close.

of all these matches the one im most excited to see would be vaidisova vs. sharapova. maria will win in straights. all the talk about vaidisova being the next maria. think maria will embarass her and win convincingly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
tennisjunky said:
i voted for golovin. of these matches she has the best chance to win. depending on where serena is with her fitness i think she should still win, but it could be close.

of all these matches the one im most excited to see would be vaidisova vs. sharapova. maria will win in straights. all the talk about vaidisova being the next maria. think maria will embarass her and win convincingly.
I can't imagine Martina losing to Tati. Martina and Tati play the same style, except Martina is a master at it. I think Vaidisova might be able to hang with Maria if she's playing her best. Ana Ivanovic would be a good battle for Serena right now, that could go either way.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monirena Wiles said:
I can't imagine Martina losing to Tati. Martina and Tati play the same style, except Martina is a master at it. I think Vaidisova might be able to hang with Maria if she's playing her best. Ana Ivanovic would be a good battle for Serena right now, that could go either way.
elena beat hingis in two easy sets and then golovin did the same thing to elena. not as confident in hingis as you and everyone else seems to be. think everyone has a shot except for krajicek, azarenka, and glatch. they aren't ready for those kinds of wins yet.

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
Nicole beats Maria - certainly one day.
Safina beats Venus - why not?
Glatch beats Mauresmo - not sure, hasn't seen much of Alexa :shrug:
Golovin beats Hingis - i don't think so, at least in near future.
Ivanovic beats Serena - :lol: anyone can beats Serena these days :sad:
Azarenka beats Lindsay - i'm afraid when Vika comes, Lindsay is out of tennis.
Mirza beats Clijsters - i like Sania but it will never happened.
Krajicek beats Henin-Hardenne - prolly.

Reactions: tennisjunky

·
Registered
16,569 Posts
tennisjunky said:
elena beat hingis in two easy sets and then golovin did the same thing to elena.
player A beats player B. player B beats player C. so player A will beat player C. tennis doesnt work this way, dont u know;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
As sad as it may seem, I think both of those you picked as the opponent for the Williams sisters have the biggest chance - because both seem to be in a (injury-) slump right now and Safina and Ivanovic are the most experienced/battle-hardened youngsters in your list.

·
Registered
44,561 Posts
Alexa when she's fit again has a an outsider chance something like 1-6 6-3 6-3
Tati and Misa can win their matches too

·
Registered
24,441 Posts
Vaidisova was my vote but I didn't read the Ana option so my vote would be Ivanovic over Serena

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts
vaidisova (nikki) vs. sharapova
safina (dinara) vs. venus
glatch (alexia) vs. mauresmo
golovin (tatti) vs. hingis
ivanovic (anna) vs. serena
azarenka (vikki) vs. lindsay
mirza (sania) vs. clijsters
krajicek (michaaela) vs. henin-hardenne
Pls learn their names first... :rolleyes: :eek:

Vaidisova vs Szarapowa... there is a chance
Ivanovic vs S.Williams... ditto
Safina vs V.Williams... ditto

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
vaidisova vs. sharapova.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
More than likely:
Nikki_V def. Sharapova- Nikki would have to keep her composure mentally to have any real shot and she's got to be serving like she's capable of all throughout the match.

Likely
Ivanovic def. Serena- A rusty Serena might have her hands full against an inform Ivanovic

Golovin def. Hingis- This would be a cute match up. If Golovin has the belief I think she can take out Hingis right now.

Not Likely
Mirza def. Clijsters- Can't see Kim losing to her

Safina def. Venus- I could see Safina beating Venus, but I still fill like the outcome has more to do with Venus and less to do with Safina.

Glatch def. MoMo- Never seen much of Glatch to be honest, but MoMo is pretty solid. Still MoMo has a lot of random losses throughout the year so I give Glatch at least a shot.

Highly Unlikely
Azarenka def. Lindsay- never seen Azarenka play, but based on how new to the tour she is, it's highly unlikely she's got what it takes to take on Lindsay right now.

Krajicek def. JuJu- too big a win for her right now. I could picture Krajicek getting a lead, but I can't see her with what it would take to close out someone like Justine.

The most anticipated match-ups you have listed:
1. Ivanovic vs. Serena
2. Vaidisova vs. Maria
3. Mirza vs. Clijsters

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
This a pretty cool poll and I like the young players you chose. Just wondering why Kirilenko or Chakevetadze didn't make the cut. They've got really promising careers and it wont be too long before they start getting some really big wins too.

·
Team WTAworld, Moderator, Polish & Serbian Kingdo
119,559 Posts
Hip-And-Happenin said:
Please learn how to spell sharapova. :) :kiss:
it's just the polish transcription from Russian Шарапова
Ш - sz (english sh)
a - a
p - r
п - p
b - w (english v)

:shrug: