Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since AER was adopted in 1995 by WTA Tour, Maria Sharapova is currently the youngest to win a Slam at age 17 years and 2 months. Serena Williams is the second youngest at age 17 years and 11 months.

It would be much harder for anyone at age 17 years/1 month and younger to win a Slam to take over Maria's. I think Sesil could have the chance, but who knows. I don't think Tatiana would be able to do it in the next 2 slams before she turns 17.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Serena 99 U.S. Open. she won it at 17 that's the record yet to be broekn.

Reactions: Doraemon

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kingazza said:
Serena 99 U.S. Open. she won it at 17 that's the record yet to be broekn.
Maria Sharapova broke Serena's record at age 17 years and 2 months. Serena won at 17 years and 11 months, a few weeks before her 18th birthday. Sharapova is now the youngest slam champion. It will probably take a long time before someone can break Sharapova's record to become the youngest slam champion at age 17 years/1 month or younger.

It is interesting to see that both Serena and Maria won their first slam by beating the top seed player in the slam final.

·
Banned
75 Posts
u stink

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Yep....Maria´s the youngest major winner...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Um...aren't you guys mssing something - what about Martina Hingis' THREE Grand Slam titles in 1997 when she was 16 years old!

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MartinaI said:
Um...aren't you guys mssing something - what about Martina Hingis' THREE Grand Slam titles in 1997 when she was 16 years old!
Martina was not affected by the AER rule. Yes, she is still and will always be the last youngest slam champion before the AER rule was adopted. AER will always be there for quite a long time... it would be very hard for any player to win a slam and break Martina's record while the AER is still in effect. Anything is possible... but a very small chance though. If that happens, it would be really unbelievable for 16 years old player to win a slam while playing 10 tournaments in the year and beat Martina's record.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
It's interesting to see that Masha was a full nine months younger than Serena was when she won her first Grand Slam. Hopefully it promises a lot for Masha in the future.

·
Banned
75 Posts
But when Serena won that U.S. Open, she had to beat Davenport and Hingis back to back and compared to Maria having to beat a tired and motivation-less Davenport and, a careless, outashape Serena, it's a different story, I reckon.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Kingazza said:
But when Serena won that U.S. Open, she had to beat Davenport and Hingis back to back and compared to Maria having to beat a tired and motivation-less Davenport and, a careless, outashape Serena, it's a different story, I reckon.
So Hingis and Davenport are better than Serena and Davenport? I agree, but
but Serena and Davenport are not shit players. Maria made Serena look out of shape as there is nothing Serana can do when she faces a better player!

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Hingis was exhausted when she played Serena in the US Open final, less than 24 hours after her gut-wrenching 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 win over Venus in the semifinals.

·
Banned
75 Posts
Name value wise I don't c much difference between Lindsay-Hingis and Davenport-Serena but we must take account of other factors which cleaerly played in Sharipove's winning the Wimbldog. I mean, Davenport has long lost motivation and her movement has been a suspect. She could have beat Sahripova but she just gave up when she failed to close out the match with her serve. Her lack of motivation was a thing of ugliness. As for Serena's loss, like I said, she just wasn't ready. She was virtually surprised at how well and powerful Sharipove played. We could tell this from her facial expressions during the match. She showed a smile which she usually rarely shows, whenever Shariopve came up with a good shot. Serena was positively and plesantly surprised I must add, though.

·
Registered
47,518 Posts
Maria is younger than Serena, but Maria started earlier than Serena as well....this is her second full year already and when Serena was her age she was just finishing her first year.

Now it´s still impressive, but it´d have been more impressive if she had beaten the Serena of ´02 or ´03.

With Serena´s u.s.open win she beat Lindsay who just won wimbledon and martina H who won the Oz open and who was in her third final of the year.

·
Banned
75 Posts
bandadou, it was Serena's second full year.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Hingis was exhausted when she played Serena in the US Open final, less than 24 hours after her gut-wrenching 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 win over Venus in the semifinals.
People are always making that excuse for Hingis, but Serena also had a 3 set match in her semi and no one mentions that! In fact, all of Serena's matches from the 3rd round onwards were tough 3 setters, so she should have been more tired than Hingis.

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Maria wasnt really affected by the AER...as a 16 year old, she played 16 tournaments...

its still a great accomplishement to win such a big tournament at 17 regardless of how long you have been on the tour...

·
63,556 Posts
Experimentee said:
People are always making that excuse for Hingis, but Serena also had a 3 set match in her semi and no one mentions that! In fact, all of Serena's matches from the 3rd round onwards were tough 3 setters, so she should have been more tired than Hingis.
:clap2:

·
Banned
959 Posts
So you are looking at slam winners born after 1981.
Australian Open-Serena Williams
French Open-Serena Williams
Wimbledon-Maria Sharapova
US Open-Serena Williams

1 - 20 of 33 Posts