Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, you criticize the sisters if they enter a tournament, enter a tournament and win; then if they drop out of a tournament for whatever reason, you are still critical of them, even though it gives your favorites a better chance of winning (since there is little chance of your favorites winning if one or both Williams sisters are in a tournament.).

So what the hell is the problem?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The problem is that the Williams Critics feel they can only be taken seriously by heavily critiquing and slating the work of more gifted and talented individuals than themselves. Remember the old motto: if you can, do. If you can't, criticise. We see Williams Critics regularly writing condemnatory reviews of the sisters' performances, occasionally even questioning whether or not their motion picture was rigged so as not to disappoint an audience that had paid good money for tickets to the theatre/Centre Court. The bottom line, of course, is that the Williams studio system has a vice-like grip on the production, distribution and exhibition of tennis, making it impossible for independent Belgian film-makers to gain a mainstream Grand Slam hit that appeals to a mass audience. As a result, independent tennis is still largely shunned by the consumer market in favour of homeogenised Centre Court product.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
Show me one post complaining about a Williams ENTERING a tournament.

Reactions: Bella

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Can't say I am, I'm afraid, but I'm particularly inspired today because someone sent me a PM saying how annoying they found my posting style. So I'm trying to prove them wrong, to the best of my ability...

·
Premium Member
26,690 Posts
lizchris said:
First, you criticize the sisters if they enter a tournament and win, then if they drop out of a tournament for whatever reason, you are still critical of them, even though it gives your favorites a better chance of winning (since there is little chance of your favorites winning if one or both Williams sisters are in a tournament.).

So what the hell is the problem?
:tape: :tape: :tape: :tape: :tape:

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rtael said:
Show me one post complaining about a Williams ENTERING a tournament.
There is a thread right now in General Messages criticizing Serena for entering the Bank of the West tournament.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
lizchris said:
There is a thread right now in General Messages criticizing Serena for entering the Bank of the West tournament.
Which one?

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
great smash said:
Just wait a second, he still has to start it ;)
Under his second account's name, lol.

·
Banned
3,412 Posts
Logic comprehension 101 for Rtael:

The quantifier AND in (A AND B) implies that both A and B must be true for the statement to be true?

Hence, when lizchris wrote
you criticize the sisters if they ENTER a tournament AND WIN
, she is not claiming that people criticize the sisters for only entering a tournament? She is implying people say "it's boring" blah blah when the sisters (ENTER AND WIN) the tournament.

It's trivial to find an example of such a thread so I am not going to bother.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glenn said:
Which one?
Williams replaces her sister, winner of last three Classics

Look in there, you will see a post or two criticizing Serena.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
eta psi said:

The quantifier AND in (A AND B) implies that both A and B must be true for the statement to be true?

Hence, when lizchris wrote , she is not claiming that people criticize the sisters for only entering a tournament? She is implying people say "it's boring" blah blah when the sisters (ENTER AND WIN) the tournament.

But then she made clear that she WAS claiming it by posting this:

Making your post totally useless. :wavey:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,026 Posts
In other words, you're complaining about something of which you have no proof of and your trying to use false logic to make me look like a fool, when you're really only making yourself look like a fool? Yeah, that's what I got out of your post, too.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah, but by the same logic eta psi, surely the use of the prefix "enter a tournament" is unnecessary when "win a tournament" on its own would suffice? The statement is still flawed, because no-one criticises the sisters for winning a title. They may criticise the fact that it has happened, but there's no reason why anyone would criticise a player for winning something.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
eta psi said:

Hence, when lizchris wrote , she is not claiming that people criticize the sisters for only entering a tournament? She is implying people say "it's boring" blah blah when the sisters (ENTER AND WIN) the tournament.

Actually, I meant either or; they are criticized when they enter a tournament and they are criticized when they enter a tournament and win.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
lizchris said:
Actually, I meant either or; they are criticized when they enter a tournament and they are criticized when they enter a tournament and win.
There goes eta psi's theory! :lol:

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I edited my original post to clarify what I meant.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.