Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am an ITF Silver Badge chair umpire and USTA Professional chair umpire. I am a member of another tennis forum and I enjoy participating in the threads that discuss situations that happen in pro, college and amateur tennis. I like talking about the rules and procedures. I try to stay away from the trolling and abuse that happens on these boards though. If any of you have any questions about officiating, rules or maybe why something happened the way it did, feel free to ask. Anyway, I thought I would post a few questions on here and see if anypeople wanted to answer them and get a discussion started. Many things happen in league and amateur tennis and I think it's always good for players to have a good understanding of the black & white and gray areas.

1. If the receiver breaks a string after a first serve fault, is he required to change his racket? And if he does change it, does the server get a first or second serve?

2. If the receiver breaks a string after a first serve let, is he required to change his racket?

3. The server hits a first serve fault. The receiver moves back a few feet to clear the ball out of the way, and while in the process of getting ready to receive the second serve, he looks up and the server has already tossed the ball. The receiver says "WAIT." Does the server get a first or second serve?

4. In a singles match, player A hits a drop shot. Player B runs to the ball and hits it before the second bounce. With his momentum, there is no way he can stop so he jumps over the net and lands on the other side of the net and lands in the doubles alley. Player A is not able to get to the ball. Who wins the point?

5. Player A hits a ball that lands very very close to the line on the far side of the chair umpire. Player B blocks the line umpire from seeing where the ball bounced. The line umpire gives the unsighted call to the chair umpire. The ball was too close for the umpire to be able to make the call from where he is. What should the chair umpire do?

6. Player A's second serve hits the net and then hit's Player B before it bounces. Decision?

7. What happens if the ball in play hits another ball that is lying in the court?

8. In a doubles match, what is the correct decision if the receiving team changes sides of the court in the 5th game of the set and the error is discovered after the first point of the game? Should they switch back immediately, finish the game as altered then switch back, or finish the set as altered?

Good luck. I look forward to seeing the responses.

·
-
52,409 Posts
1. The receiver can change his racket and the server will serve a second serve.
2. The receiver can change his racket.
3. Second serve.
4. The lucky player B.
5. The line judge's opinion is the most important in that case, I guess.
6. Lucky player A wins the point.
7. The player on the side of the net where the ball was on the floor loses the point.
8. Switch back immediatly I guess.

Question for you : what happens if the player A touches the ball twice with his racket, but not in purpose of course - touching the ball with the frame then with the strings for example - ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3. Second serve.
4. The lucky player B.
7. The player on the side of the net where the ball was on the floor loses the point.

Question for you : what happens if the player A touches the ball twice with his racket, but not in purpose of course - touching the ball with the frame then with the strings for example - ?
I will wait to discuss your answers to my questions until others reply if they want to.

In answer to your question to me, an untintentional "double hit" is legal as long as it is in one continuous swing motion.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Number 4: Player A wins the point. It's not allowed to touch the net or invade the opponent's 'space', which happens in case B jumps over the net.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Number 5: If the umpire can't make a call with 100% certainty then the point must proceed. In this case the chair umpire shouldn't make a call.

·
Registered
10,961 Posts
3. Second serve.
4. The lucky player B.

I think I agree with you on most of these, though I am not sure about number 5 :unsure:

How much $$ do you get for umpiring btw?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
Nice questions! I don't know them all but i'll say what i think. :)

1. If the receiver breaks a string after a first serve fault, is he required to change his racket? And if he does change it, does the server get a first or second serve?
Yes, change racket. He gets a second serve though, not a first serve.

2. If the receiver breaks a string after a first serve let, is he required to change his racket?
Yes, change racket.

3. The server hits a first serve fault. The receiver moves back a few feet to clear the ball out of the way, and while in the process of getting ready to receive the second serve, he looks up and the server has already tossed the ball. The receiver says "WAIT." Does the server get a first or second serve?
A second serve, it's the server's own fault for not seeing the ball wasn't cleared yet.

4. In a singles match, player A hits a drop shot. Player B runs to the ball and hits it before the second bounce. With his momentum, there is no way he can stop so he jumps over the net and lands on the other side of the net and lands in the doubles alley. Player A is not able to get to the ball. Who wins the point?
Player A, touching the net or jumping over it is the same i think.

5. Player A hits a ball that lands very very close to the line on the far side of the chair umpire. Player B blocks the line umpire from seeing where the ball bounced. The line umpire gives the unsighted call to the chair umpire. The ball was too close for the umpire to be able to make the call from where he is. What should the chair umpire do?
'Gives the call to the umpire?' Is this possible? :confused: I thought it was either in or out, so if the linesman didn't yell 'out' it will be in unless the chairumpire overrules it. (how do you know a linesman gives the call to the chair? that seems unprofessional)

If it's possible i'd say replay the point?

6. Player A's second serve hits the net and then hit's Player B before it bounces. Decision?
Since it's a serve i think it's obvious player B is standing outside of the serviceblock. So it would be a Double Fault.

7. What happens if the ball in play hits another ball that is lying in the court?
There shouldn't be any balls lying on court. If there is, the point should be interrupted when they notice the ball. And replay the point immidiatly.

8. In a doubles match, what is the correct decision if the receiving team changes sides of the court in the 5th game of the set and the error is discovered after the first point of the game? Should they switch back immediately, finish the game as altered then switch back, or finish the set as altered?
This one is tricky... i dunno, i'd say change back immediatly and the recieving team loses the first point played if they won it?

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Number 7: Replay the point?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I agree with you on most of these, though I am not sure about number 5 :unsure:

How much $$ do you get for umpiring btw?
Around $120 per day.

There are only about 20 umpires that are salary with ITF or ATP that are making real money by officiating.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
'Gives the call to the umpire?' Is this possible? I thought it was either in or out, so if the linesman didn't yell 'out' it will be in unless the chairumpire overrules it. (how do you know a linesman gives the call to the chair? that seems unprofessional)

If it's possible i'd say replay the point?

Not that he gives the call, but gives the "unsighted call" which means showing the chair umpire that he was blocked by the player and did not see the ball bounce.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
Not that he gives the call, but gives the "unsighted call" which means showing the chair umpire that he was blocked by the player and did not see the ball bounce.
Then i guess i'd say the ball is in unless the chair umpire saw it out himself.

Looking forward to your answers! :D

·
Registered
14,830 Posts
I'll give it a shot.
He can change his racket. The server gets a first serve in this case.
He can change his racket.
The server gets a second serve.
Player B wins the point.
Give the point to Player A. No one saw the ball out.
Player A wins the point.
The ball remains in play.
Finish the set as altered... actually... I've no idea at all.

·
Most Loved Member
11,182 Posts
Change racket, second serve.

No. He has to receive with the broken racket.

Second serve.

Player B. I think it's okay as long as you stay in the doubles alley. I'm pretty sure I've seen guys win a point like this.

Nothing, it was in if no one saw it out.

Player A wins the point. It must be a bizarre trajectory for the ball to hit the net and fly all the way over to player B. Plenty of time to step out of the way.

Replay the point.

Finish the set as altered.

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
I'm just a USTA Provisional official, so I'll defer to your expertise...;)

·
Registered
246 Posts
He can change the racket and it is first serve, because he 'stopped' the server of his "time" between 1st and 2nd serve.

he can change the racket

Second serve. Anyway The Server should pay attentoin if receiver is ready

By the rules if he ends up in opponent court, it's called invasion. A gets point

Chair umpire can't make decision and line umpire was blocked than is replay the point. (this could happens on serve)

Second Serve

if the chair umpire thinks they play with correct ball, should keep on playing.
If isn't the correct ball is a let. Anyway the chiar umpire should say to players to move the balls if are on the court.

Game finish in that way. Next time they receive they have to be in original positions.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The receiver is not required to, but he can. If he chooses to change the racket, the server gets a first serve as the receiver caused a delay.

In professional tennis, the receiver is required to change the racket as you may not start a point with a broken string. In non-pro, you are not required, but may change the racket.

Second Serve, unless the delay is considered unreasonable (very rare would a first serve be given here)

As long as he doesn't step inside the singles court (including on the singles line), this is legal.

This is where a little gray area comes in. If the player makes any immediate reaction, or if it is on a point ending shot, the point should be replayed as there is nobody who can make the call. If play continues, the point stands as if it were called in.

Let, second serve. Once the ball hits the net, the best possible scenario is that it would be a let.

Play continues, unless it is unknown which ball was the one in play, then replay the point.

Finish that game as altered then switch back for the next game.
Not bad. I can post some more soon if you liked doing this. I think only one person got them all right though.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
I will try, please PM to tell me how i got. Thanks in advance!

No one is required to change his racket because of a broken string, if he/she does receiver can change racket and the server gets a first serve.

No one is require to change his/her racket because of a broken string. Receiver can change racket in this case and a first serve is awarded to the server.

Server gets a second serve, because the server has to make sure that the receiver is ready, which is this case did not happen.

If the ball bounced twice on players A court, before player B jumped over the net, then player B gets the point, but if the ball was still in play (not bounced twice) and player B jumped over then player A gets the point.

Assuming that the shot was an outright winner In this case it´s Chair Umpire´s decision on the shot, if he saw it OUT he can call it out and award the point to player B, and if he saw it IN then award the point to player A. Since the line umpire could not make a call of the shot, then it´s chair umpire´s decision from his point of view no matter if he is on the far side.

A Let is played so a first serve is awared to the server.

The player on the side of the court where the ball A hit the ball B loses the point, because its up to him/hers clear his side of the court.

Finish the set as altered.

·
Chip 'n Charge
13,691 Posts
not that anybody would do this but...

say you hit a drop shot at the net. and it just sits in the air. your opponent is running to hit the drop shot. you put your racket in front of the ball to prevent him from hitting the ball, but you don't touch it and your racket is blocking the ball. is that legal?

i drew a picture :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts