Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Quite a few responses came back saying that the questions I posted yesterday were informative and helpful. So, I thought I would post some more.

Good luck! and Enjoy!

1. In a doubles match, what happens if the serve hits the net post and lands in the correct court?

2. In a doubles match, what happens if a groundstroke hits the net post and lands in the correct court?

3. Player A serves and after he hits the ball the racket slips out of his hand and hits hard into the court making a loud noise and bounces around the court. The racket does not hit the net or his opponent's court. Can Player B claim a hindrance?

4A. The tournament announced on it's entry sheet that a 10-point match tiebreak would be played in lieu of the third set for all matches. In this match, the players split sets and start to play a regular set. The error is discovered at 3-0. What should you do?

4B. Same situation, except the error is discovered at 2-1?

4C. Same situation with error discovered at 3-3?

5. During play a player's shoe breaks. At the end of the point, is he allowed extra time to go to his locker or car or to a friend to get another pair of shoes? If so, how much time is allowed? If not, what should the procedure be?

6A. After the point, player A picks up the ball and squeezes it and it is discovered that the ball is broken. It is not clear when the ball broke, but both players are sure that was the ball from that point. Should the point stand or should a let be called?

6B. What if the players aren't sure that that was the ball from that point?

6C. What if the ball is soft and not broken?

7. Player breaks the string on his last racket. Is he allowed extra time to leave the court to replace it? If so, how much time is allowed? If not, what should the procedure be?

·
Registered
17,154 Posts
1. Let

2. the ball is in

3. Yes

4A-C. Play the tiebreaker

5. Yes, he is allowed ten minutes

6A-C. The point stands

7. 10 minutes

·
Registered
38,859 Posts
1. In a doubles match, what happens if the serve hits the net post and lands in the correct court?

LET

2. In a doubles match, what happens if a groundstroke hits the net post and lands in the correct court?

LET (Pretend someones visor fell off or something)

3. Player A serves and after he hits the ball the racket slips out of his hand and hits hard into the court making a loud noise and bounces around the court. The racket does not hit the net or his opponent's court. Can Player B claim a hindrance?

YES
4A. The tournament announced on it's entry sheet that a 10-point match tiebreak would be played in lieu of the third set for all matches. In this match, the players split sets and start to play a regular set. The error is discovered at 3-0. What should you do?
That wouldn't happen. But finish off the regular set.

Shorten the set - to 4-1 to win

Final game tiebreak

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
1. First serve again
2. point for the player with the "lucky shot" :p
3. I would say no :shrug:
4A-C. The 3rd set will be finished
5. I think the coach or someone other has to bring new shoes, but if the player is allowed to go to the car to get new shoes a ballkid or someone has to be with him/her
6A-C. Point stands
7. no, it isn´t allowed! You should have more raquets with you than just 1 :p

·
Registered
47,545 Posts
7 is easy...when player runs out of rackets he's defaulted, I think this happened to Goran Ivanisevic

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
1. fault

2. good ball, play should continue

3. No. not unusual enough to justify

4A. team leading 3-0 wins the match
4B. Play one more game and if it is 2-2, play a match tie-break

4C. continue as a tie-break set

5. Reasonable time maybe allowed to find new shoes.

6A. Let is called. Point replayed.

6B. Point stands.

6C. If soft (not broken) the ball is removed and the point stands.

7. Not allowed. He may leave the court (with the permision of impure) or wait for someone to bring a racquet but he will be on a clock.

during a game 20sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point
changeover 90sec 20 sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point
breaksets 120sec 20 sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. fault

2. good ball, play should continue

3. No. not unusual enough to justify

4A. team leading 3-0 wins the match
4B. Play one more game and if it is 2-2, play a match tie-break

4C. continue as a tie-break set

5. Reasonable time maybe allowed to find new shoes.

6A. Let is called. Point replayed.

6B. Point stands.

6C. If soft (not broken) the ball is removed and the point stands.

7. Not allowed. He may leave the court (with the permision of impure) or wait for someone to bring a racquet but he will be on a clock.

during a game 20sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point
changeover 90sec 20 sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point
breaksets 120sec 20 sec time violation warning, 20 sec point 20 sec point 20 sec point
Are you an umpire?

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
been a while since I have done it so maybe fuzzy on some of those things and incorrect especially the last one...

·
Banned
15,895 Posts

Ball is good, must be played.

I know this one for a fact, because I just read it last night!

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
really? it's kind of useless if a player could be defaulted in 3 min at best (1 min at worst)... some of the kids just don't have means to buy and bring 10 racquets or re-string them after each day of playing.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I just hope that referee comes out and continues penalizing with games penalties instead of going for a default.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just hope that referee comes out and continues penalizing with games penalties instead of going for a default.
Can't happen. Not the rule. Here's from the Friend at Court.

44. Clothing and equipment malfunction. If clothing or equipment, other
than a racket, becomes unusable through circumstances outside the control
of the player, play may be suspended for a reasonable period. The player may
leave the court after the point is over to correct the problem. If a racket or
string is broken, the player may leave the court to get a replacement, but the
player is subject to code violations under the Point Penalty System.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Can't happen. Not the rule. Here's from the Friend at Court.

44. Clothing and equipment malfunction. If clothing or equipment, other
than a racket, becomes unusable through circumstances outside the control
of the player, play may be suspended for a reasonable period. The player may
leave the court after the point is over to correct the problem. If a racket or
string is broken, the player may leave the court to get a replacement, but the
player is subject to code violations under the Point Penalty System.
but a default is usually done by a referee... I would personally hope (as a chair umpire in that match) that my referee will take 10 minutes to get to the court (after being called on the radio) and exercise it wisely REGARDLESS of the PPS. I would argue that there is no unfair advantage gained by the player whose ONLY fault is that he CAN'T AFFORD 10 racquets.

·
Look who's back!
32,304 Posts
Let

Ball is in, point counts

Yes

Continue the set

Replay the set

Replay the set

5. During play a player's shoe breaks. At the end of the point, is he allowed extra time to go to his locker or car or to a friend to get another pair of shoes? If so, how much time is allowed? If not, what should the procedure be?

10 mins

6A. After the point, player A picks up the ball and squeezes it and it is discovered that the ball is broken. It is not clear when the ball broke, but both players are sure that was the ball from that point. Should the point stand or should a let be called?
Let

6B. What if the players aren't sure that that was the ball from that point?
Point stands

6C. What if the ball is soft and not broken?
Replace the ball

7. Player breaks the string on his last racket. Is he allowed extra time to leave the court to replace it? If so, how much time is allowed? If not, what should the procedure be?
15 mins

1 - 20 of 27 Posts