Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taylor Townsend beating Halep at US Open two years was one of the most exciting masterpiece victories I've seen on a tennis court in years. She was flying around the court and relentlessly attacking and making BEAUTIFUL volley winners, also her baseline game was impressive too. Beautiful player when at her best. But we rarely saw her at her best. Truth is she ate her way out of a successful career that her tennis talents and gifts deserved. Double T is now admitting she is "fat" and she's shamefully blaming ****** for her career failure. A fat person can't be successful in pro tennis not even in doubles, there are just too many great and fit players out there. For her to be blaming ****** as she does in this article is despicable.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
That’s one long read. I read some but does it explain why she did nothing after making the 4th round of the US Open and why she only played in the USA except for the slams.

·
Art & Futures
21,957 Posts
I have a lot of empathy for her.

Ultimately, it's only one person's perspective. It would be improper of me to deny her experience, and while she does certainly do some extrapolation of herself to other groups of people, she mostly sticks to her own experience and perceptions. Therefore, I think it's fair.

USTA obviously had a different agenda for her than what she wanted for herself. She wanted to be big and win whereas USTA wanted her to lose weight so that she could be a better winner. It's within her prerogative to make those decisions and sometimes people need to have those conflicts to think about what's important in life. While she more likely than not would have benefitted from losing weight, it's not really our place to say that she absolutely should or that she should be forced to. She would need to come to that realization on her own.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I guess I can see Townsend's point considering the 2012 USO, and USTA certainly isn't completely blameless. I just hope that in her mind she isn't blaming USTA for everything as to why she isn't a top ranked player in the pro despite being a former junior No. 1, because while juniors might be a good measuring stick they certainly aren't a guarantee that one will be top player in the pros.

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
What's the word? Like **** Jagger...

The article is TL,DR like Gen Z would say. Saw this quote though:
America hating fat Black women — it’s just part of life. It’s in the culture. It’s in the health-care system. You see it in Hollywood, you see it in sports. You don’t have to look around very hard.

- Taylor Townsend

·
Registered
368 Posts
What's the word? Like **** Jagger...

The article is TL,DR like Gen Z would say. Saw this quote though:
America hating fat Black women — it’s just part of life. It’s in the culture. It’s in the health-care system. You see it in Hollywood, you see it in sports. You don’t have to look around very hard.

- Taylor Townsend
She lacks accountability. It’s really not too late for her if she takes care of her fitness.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I would assume that if Serena did not have the work ethic she did she would be bigger than Taylor. But she worked instead of making excuses. She was the #1 ranked junior player of the world from a country that gives every opportunity to advance. Its all on her. Hell she could even maintain her top 100 ranking without leaving the country, does she even understand how priviledged she is for being able to do that? Back in the day people in Europe hitchhiked to keep the cost low and get to the next tournament. Words like journey men don't come from nothing. Then online gambling started:devilish:

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
This is such bullshit. There are thousands upon thousands of girls in the United States who would kill to be in Taylor’s shoes. Girls who would work hard, train better, and feel proud to represent the US
I have never been a fan of hers but the blame game is not gonna work. Try personal accountability Taylor and look in the mirror. THATS when you will see your problem-YOU

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
what am I suppose to make of those asterisks?

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nobody hates fat black women. but only a few find them appealing. It's very bad for Townsend to be victimizing herself.

Her issue is she could not control her eating. Blame the fast food and junk food industries or her own out of control hunger disorder, but to blame the usta and white people is despicable.

it seems like she's gonna hit the usta with a huge lawsuit. and that's terrible. everybody seemed to know a fat person was not going to succeed in pro tennis. townsend was in denial about that but know she knows the truth. fat people are never going to be sucessful in marathon running, figure skating, or tennis. it's not discrimination it's reality.
You don't even need to say black women, as excluding a small group of unusual sexual preferences I don't think many find fat white women or fat Asian women or any fat women attractive in general.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
You don't even need to say black women, as excluding a small group of unusual sexual preferences I don't think many find fat white women or fat Asian women or any fat women attractive in general.
fat black women are saved by the stereotype that they are funny. But fatness in general is shamed universally.

Reactions: marquee_
1 - 20 of 156 Posts