Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shoulda been me - tennis sister's beau

LONG BEACH, Calif. - The boyfriend of the slain sister of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams said yesterday that "by rights it should have been me."

Yetunde Price was shot dead in the passenger seat of her sport-utility vehicle a little more than a week ago after picking up Rolland Wormley and asking him to take the wheel because she was too tired to drive safely, he told the Daily News yesterday.

"By rights it should have been me," Wormley, 28, said in his first comments since the tragedy. "She asked me to drive, we changed seats, and now my baby's gone."

He insists they were the victims of a random crime outside a known gang hangout in the Los Angeles suburb of Compton.

"We were talking about either going straight home or stopping at a pub for a nightcap," he said. "The radio was on kind of loud, we were talking but we were going slow, maybe 25 [mph]. Then, bam, it happened.

"I saw some sparks, but at first I didn't realize my baby was hit," he said. "When I did I just got out of there fast. I never used to believe it, but it's true. You can be at the wrong place at the wrong time. We were."

Small-time hood Aaron Hammer, 24, has been arrested and charged with the murder. Price, 31, died of a gunshot to the head. She was laid to rest late last week.

Shortly after the shooting, Wormley was taken into custody for possibly violating his parole. He has a series of arrests, including one for drug possession. He was released without being charged Saturday morning.

Wormley said, "The worse thing is that I didn't get out of jail in time for the funeral. I never got to say goodbye."

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Yeah, it could be the truth, yet it still doesn't make sense. Random killing never makes sense and I guess they are not suppose to. Nonetheless, people pull triggers for a reason. That's what I would like to know. Why?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Hey, the guy is telling different stories to different people. My guess is that he hasn't told the whole truth to anyone and it's to protect his own little self. I don't think it is some conspiracy that involves Serena and Venus, however.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
His comments are not going to be greeted gleefully by Venus and Serena or the rest of their family. His revelation about changing seats does not convince me as being innocuous and it will only leave the grieving family with the thought of what MAY have happened.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
she wasn't shot in the head.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
I read she was shot in the Head....autopsy confirmed.......but was it a potential car jacking situation? was there a dispute? I would be interested in hearing what Mr. Hammer has to say.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
bracey said:
His comments are not going to be greeted gleefully by Venus and Serena or the rest of their family. His revelation about changing seats does not convince me as being innocuous and it will only leave the grieving family with the thought of what MAY have happened.
Though he probably doesn't have anything, I think the Williams family will file a civil suit against him.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
TM said:
she wasn't shot in the head.
Yes she was. The autopsy confirmed that she was.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
lizchris said:
Though he probably doesn't have anything, I think the Williams family will file a civil suit against him.
I think that will depend on how close he was to the family and whether they knew him well enough to trust him.

·
Banned
635 Posts
I'll sound cold here, but whatever...

What is a 31-year-old mother doing driving around in the wee hours of the morning, with a multiple ex-convict, in one of the most violent places in the world?

If you're going to make decisions like that, there are consequences.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Fantasy Season said:

What is a 31-year-old mother doing driving around in the wee hours of the morning, with a multiple ex-convict, in one of the most violent places in the world?

I guess she deserved to die?

I don't know why she was there and neither do you. The police do and her former fiancee. My guess is that if there is a trial, the truth will come out.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
Fantasy Season said:

She was with her fiancee', and she grew up in Compton, so I doubt she was afraid to go there and probably has friends in that area. She probably rode through there at night plenty of times. No one deserves to be murdered for just riding through a neighborhood. You act as if she said to herself, "Should I ride through Compton tonight?", "I may get murdered by someone with an assault rifle". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
She had to be shot in the head, otherwise she would have been able to tell him she's been shot if she was shot in the abdomin, like previously reported.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Fantasy Season said:

It kind of sounds like to me that they were just driving through on the way home & someone saw their SUV & maybe wanted to try carjaking them & started shooting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts