Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yetunde was executed and now I am beginning to believe she may have been set up.

Man charged with murdering sister of Venus and Serena Williams

By JEREMIAH MARQUEZ
.c The Associated Press

COMPTON, Calif. (AP) - A felon with ties to a street gang was charged Tuesday with murdering the sister of tennis stars Serena and Venus Williams.

Aaron Michael Hammer appeared briefly in Superior Court but Judge John J. Cheroske postponed his arraignment to Sept. 23 at the request of the defense. He remained held without bail.

Hammer, 24, of Compton, is accused of shooting Yetunde Price, 31, as she sat in a sport utility vehicle early Sunday with a companion, Rolland Wormley, 28. An assault rifle and shell casings were found at the scene.

Authorities initially reported she was shot in the chest, but a coroner's spokesman said Tuesday an autopsy showed she died of a gunshot wound to the head. (See below; I think Richard ordered the autopsy).

Hammer also was charged with using and possessing a firearm. If convicted of all charges, Hammer would face life in prison with the possibility of parole.

Hammer has ties to a Compton street gang but is not a member, authorities have said without elaboration. He has convictions for check forgery and commercial burglary.

Activists and residents raised candles in Price's memory Monday night at an anti-violence rally in Compton, a crime-plagued city southeast of Los Angeles.

Price, a registered nurse who owned a beauty salon, was one of five sisters who spent their early years in Compton. Price, a mother of three, also served as a personal assistant to her famous half sisters, who moved to Florida with their parents when they turned pro as teenagers.

Sheriff's investigators said Price and Wormley got into a dispute with a group of residents in front of a home in an area known for gangs and drugs.

The prosecution did not release any information on a possible motive for the killing. Authorities said they had no indication that Price, who lived about 40 miles away in Corona, was involved with drugs or gangs.

Wormley drove the wounded Price to his relative's house in neighboring Long Beach and called 911. Price was taken to a Long Beach hospital, where she died.

Wormley's sister attended Hammer's court hearing and afterward disputed investigators' account of the shooting. She said the pair were ``just driving through'' Compton at the time.

``There was no confrontation,'' said Carmelle Wormley.

Richard Williams, father of Serena and Venus Williams and stepfather of the victim, also attended the hearing. He left without comment.

09/16/03 21:03 EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Thats just sad...... how fucked up.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I keep hoping it was a random shooting. But I'm losing hope. And I would like to know how many times Yetunde Price was shot. If it was more than once then that would indicate it was no accident or random shooting.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
I wonder if perhaps the "people" involved had tried and failed to either con or extort money from the family. :sad:

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cat said:
I keep hoping it was a random shooting. But I'm losing hope. And I would like to know how many times Yetunde Price was shot. If it was more than once then that would indicate it was no accident or random shooting.
I was hoping it was a random shooting too, but I don't think it was either.

We will know between now and next Tuesday how manyn times she was shot because you know that the autopsy details are going to be leaked to the press.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
12,062 Posts
I still keep thinking the parole-violating boyfriend was to blame for all of this. I just get that sneaking suspicion :mad:.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
lizchris said:
I was hoping it was a random shooting too, but I don't think it was either.

We will know between now and next Tuesday how manyn times she was shot because you know that the autopsy details are going to be leaked to the press.
I'll be furious if the photos are, however. (And no, Nicole Brown Simpson's weren't, but the internet probably has 50 times more websites now, and one never knows how low some people will stoop).

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
And why is it not in "Non-Tennis"? What _THIS_ has got to do with tennis? I understand first threads with news about the woman killed, at least we would think about how it would affect certain players.

But this is just some details of criminal investiagtion, and it has nothing to do with the game.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
JollyRoger said:
WTF does Anna-on-the-beach-with-Enrique have to do with tennis?
It directly involves a tennis player.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ys said:
And why is it not in "Non-Tennis"? What _THIS_ has got to do with tennis? I understand first threads with news about the woman killed, at least we would think about how it would affect certain players.

But this is just some details of criminal investiagtion, and it has nothing to do with the game.
You are like herpes simplex; you never go away when you need to.

This thread is here because it involves the Williams sisters.

Or are you mad becasue it was revealed that the guy who allegedlyl killed Yetunde is white?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
lizchris said:
This thread is here because it involves the Williams sisters.
So, they are involved in her killing?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In addition, last I checked, Yetunde was Venus and Serena's sister.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ys said:
No, y ass, check my last post and you will see what I meant.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
ys said:
yea... there relatives of the victim... I have a feeling she was shot because of the Williams sisters....

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,207 Posts
lizchris said:
In addition, last I checked, Yetunde was Venus and Serena's sister.
So, you think it is OK, for instance, to post here some articles about , say, Dutch model Miranda Rijnsburger, who happens to be a girlfriend of Spanish singer Julio Iglesias, who happens to be a father of another Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias, who happens to be a boyfriend of Anna Kournikova who happens to be a tennis player. Meaning this all is tennis- related.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ys said:
So, you think it is OK, for instance, to post here some articles about , say, Dutch model Miranda Rijnsburger, who happens to be a girlfriend of Spanish singer Julio Iglesias, who happens to be a father of another Spanish singer Enrique Iglesias, who happens to be a boyfriend of Anna Kournikova who happens to be a tennis player. Meaning this all is tennis- related.
Let me explain this to you in English:

Yetunde was the sister of tennis players Venus and Serena and whas murdered on Sunday. It is big news and therefore is being reported on sports websites and tennis sections of sites like AOL and Yahoo. The person you referred to has no relaton to Anna Kournikova, but if you were to post a thread about her, then fine, I really don't care and I don't think most people would.

BTW, if you have a problem with the way this story is being reported, go complain to the following websites:

ESPN.com
FoxSports.com
AOL.com
Yahoo.com
TennisWeek.com
SportsIllustrated.com

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
why would you think richard ordered the autopsy?

its commonplace in something like this, is it not?

1 - 20 of 187 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.