Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
17,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another great match for the tournament.

Fantastic tennis from Simona! Her BH was just fabulous and she seems to be moving very well.

And good from Bianca, too.

I think this surface is going to suit Simona quite well. She should be able to beat Pliskova but who knows about Elina.

Bianca is certainly playing well enough to win her next two matches, too. So we could very well see these two in the SFs.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
WTA Finals RR: [5] Simona Halep def. [4] Bianca Andreescu 3-6 7-6(3) 6-3

Bianca gave up the last couple of games. Credit to Halep for hanging tough and using short angles to draw Bibi out wide. Bibi needs to get her attidue in check. She could have won in straight sets. :eek:

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
What a bitchy handshake from Canadian Halep. I guess she thought she had this match in her pocket. :eek:h:

But this court is slow like a mud, she shouldn't have expected much.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Re: WTA Finals RR: [5] Simona Halep def. [4] Bianca Andreescu 3-6 7-6(3) 6-3

Halep tiring out Bibi for Svitolina

It's 2018 YEC all over again.

At least this isnt a slam, round robin format, top players burnt out, joke surface that generally suits counter punchers.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
This is what you expect from the top 8 women in the world. Knock-em-out, grudge matches that give you entertainment...drama...and occasionally some scintillating tennis.

In the end, I was surprised Halep won. Andreescu is the girl of the moment but I think this is the kind of player (just like Serena) that will give her the most trouble in her career. Hopefully she's not so injured she can't compete the rest of the tournament. I wish her well as I think Bianca and Naomi can really set up an amazing rivalry this next year.

Sailor Simona! You did it! Woot! Try to find your A game sooner please?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Halep's level in 3rd set is almost the same with Final against Williams.

Bianca is mess on her MP. So this is what she deserve for not taking those chance especially she has like 17 BP but 6 or 7 she can convert.

Halep is a better player.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Fantastic match from Simona Halep.

That 3rd set, in particular, was peak stuff. I loved her aggression, completely dictated play and exposed Bianca's movement (even if hampered). She was just sublime in the 3rd, her BHDTL was firing. Cahill's OCC was extremely important imo in reminding her of that shot.

Bianca was good too but way too many errors in the 3rd, plus her serve was too vulnerable. She also had that patch of games in the 2nd where she leaked too much and gave Simona chance to get ahead, allowed her to build confidence. And she was way too passive in the tiebreak. Really cost her in the end :shrug: I wonder if she'll get rid of this habit for the next season. Two matches in a row that she should have won in straights (Beijing vs Osaka) but she loses because of her inability to maintain her focus for two full sets.

Both looked dead on their feet by the end though, Bianca a little more. I wonder how she'll fare against Pliskova and Svitolina next, especially in this RR format where mentality can be different from normal tournaments. She'd on paper beat those two comfortably but you never know.

Simona has great chances at qualifying for the SF now and I hope she does. Really entertaining to watch her play when she plays well like she did today (even if her grunt can be a little bit grating at times).

·
Registered
30,753 Posts
Simona is such a pleasure to watch when she plays like that :inlove:. With her who knows whether Andreescu gave some extra motivation, but I hope so, and clearly having Cahill back in her box did. I hope she can keep it up :cheer:.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Pretty great from Simo off the ground, apart from some uninspired serving and netplay. Good depth and lots of angles, dominating a tired Bianca. Now please don't pull the usual YEC crap to lose the next 2 :hysteric:

I'm a bit worried about Bianca. A big part of her game is the confidence, which is rapidly going down. It would be pretty terrible to end the year on a 4 match losing streak, I hope she pulls it together against Pliskova and doesn't take another second set walkabout

1 - 20 of 203 Posts