1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
That's great for Pam! She deserves it so much. I hope Martina is there to congratulate her! :D

You know what I find funny? After the U.S. Open Final in '97 when the check/trophy presenter compared Venus to Pam in that she was the greatest first-timer to make it to the final "in 20 years" obviously referring to Pam's 1978 run, I thought, Venus will be "the next Pam." A permanent fixure in the Top 5 in singles for a lot of years, will win a lot of singles titles, will win a bunch of doubles slams, but will never make a Slam Singles Final again, like Pam. In 1998 and 1999, I saw my prediction come true. Obviously, when 2000 came around, my prediction was proven wrong! :):rolleyes:

Pam's great in the sport. She deserves it!

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
That's really great. Congratulations to her.

And at the same time it gives hope to quite a few fans who are wondering whether their favs will make it to the Hall of Fame ;)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Is it the first time they indicted someone with no Grand Slams? I think, it is not International Tennis Hall of Fame this way. It is American Hall of Fame.. Do you think they are going to indict Sabatini? Martinez? Zvereva? I really doubt it.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
What is it about you and americans?
Pam deserved it. Congrats!

·
25,384 Posts
Ys-While I agree that MOST Tennis Hall of Famers should have singles slams-in cases where a man or woman has won a ton of doubles slams I think they deserve consideration. Lets not forget that Pammy also won slams with other partners, was atop ten female for years, and helped to make oversize racquets popular by being the first famous pro to use a Prince racquet.

By the way, a female has been inducted before without a major in singles. Rosie Casals, partner to Billie Jean King as Shriver was partner to Martina, was inducted in 1996.

Congrats to Pammy:)

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
YayyyyyyyyyPams in the Hall of Fame

Congrats Pam! I'm an oldtime fan of Martina Navratilova and know that without her partnership this would never happen to you but being picked to couple with her as a doubles mate did gel and certainly the two of you reigned as the "Cream of the Crop" for many years...they didn't show many doubles matches in the old days..so most of your accomplishments were on paper which is a shame...I like the doubles matches...they are lively and one has to use a lot of stategy!! Now we've got the "Spice Girls" to look forward to....not as much finesse as you and Martina had but they are undisputedly "Lovely to look at":rolleyes: :bounce:
barmaid:wavey:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Exactly, Rollo. But wasn't Casals also American? Apparently, Navratilova helped Shriver, just like BJK helped Casals. When the case is obvious, nationality really doesn't matter. But when it is not obvious, they prefer Americans, simply because they know them better.. Are they going to indict Pierce, Rafter, Kafelnikov? I doubt it.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I think it is fair to include Pam despite no singles grand slams because of her amazing doubles record and other contributions to tennis. It was certainly pretty clever of her to make friends with Martina N. right at the beginning!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, I'm an American and I totally agree with the people who think this is an "American" thing.

I simply can't believe Pam Shriver was elected to the Hall of Fame. I always thought only GREAT players entered the Hall. Here's a player who has never won a singles Slam title and only 21 singles titles of any kind and these were probably in very small tournaments. I got an e-mail from the Hall of Fame and the press release grouped Pammie with Evert, Graf, Navratilova and Novotna as being one of only 5 players to have won 100 or more tournaments. They didn't mention that Chris, Steffi and Martina won their 100 ALL BY THEMSELVES!!!! I really think putting this person in the Hall of Fame vastly cheapens the Hall. It's really sad, I think. It also cheapens Mats Wilander's selection. Mats should have been allowed to enter the Hall by himself, the same way Lendl and the last 3 or four inductees were allowed to do. They didn't have to share the podium with an imposter.:mad:

Also, if any of you think Novotna or Sabatini or Martinez will ever make the Hall of Fame, think again.:( At least they each won singles Slams and many, many doubles Slams. :mad: (Novotna will have an especially hard time because she retired the same year as Steffi.)

I know there are people on this board who think winning doubles titles is just as good as winning singles titles but I simply don't agree. Shriver DOES NOT deserve induction into the Hall of Fame.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
essilewis - thankfully, your opinion means nothing, Pam is in, and she laughing all the way to her induction ceremony!!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
[email protected] :D

Congrats to Pammy!!!

I think she was also inducted because of her contributions to tennis in general. In addition to winning her titles, she has done ALOT off the court for the betterment (is that a word?) of tennis.
Not to mention writing an awesome book about the sport. ;)

This couldn't have happened to a better person. :)

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
If contribution to tennis and its popularity would have been a factor, they should have already indicted Kournikova..

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
Well-deserved! Doubles needs its props too and Pam and Martina will go down as one of 3 greatest teams in history. Rock on Pam!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree that Anna K. should definitely be in the Hall if all it takes to get in is making a "contribution to tennis.":p

And, of course Shriver will laugh all the way because she knows it's all a farce. I can't imagine she truly believes she belongs with the supposed "elite" of tennis. If she was elected because of her "contribution" then they should have elected her as a "veteran" because there are loads of older ex-players who have contributed far more to tennis than Ms. Shriver.

Back in the days when tennis was a nothing sport, there are people who really paid their dues to make this sport what it is today. Shriver has done nothing compared to these people.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts