Registered
44,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Karolina Pliskova (1) vs Bye
Polona Hercog vs Meiling Wang (Q)
Alize Cornet vs Jia-Jing Lu (Q)
Chloe Paquet vs Sofia Kenin (6)

Kiki Bertens (3) vs Bye
Ajla Tomljanovic vs Lesley Pattinama Kerkhove (Q)
Bibiane Schoofs vs Saisai Zheng
Alison Riske vs Angelique Kerber (5/wc)

Petra Martic (7) vs Jasmine Paolini
Fiona Ferro vs Zhaoxuan Yang (wc)
Xiaodi You (Q) vs Jelena Ostapenko
Aryna Sabalenka (4) vs Bye

Caroline Garcia (8) vs Tereza Martincova
Yingying Duan (wc) vs Kristina Mladenovic
Tamara Zidansek vs Yulia Putintseva
Elina Svitolina (2) vs Bye

·
Registered
115,552 Posts
Re: WWW Zhengzhuo? [Draw inside]

This is a good draw! Pliskova, Svitolina, Kerber Bertens. the race to the YEC is on!
I'm going Pliskova/Svitolina, the 2020 AO final also
Riske/Kerber, Pliskova/Kenin, Ostapenko/Sabalenka this has some good matches coming

·
Registered
44,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Draw is certainly lacking depth, but the seeds are worthy of a regular Premier event. :) I thought it would be a lot worse. Still would not bank on Aryna and Elina playing here, especially as Aryna will have to wait until Sunday for the Doubles final. She could play her opening match on Thursday though so there is still a slight chance she will show up and she needs the points in Singles as well.

Kenin could do a big one here as I don’t expect any of the top seeds to perform up to their ability here, but she may struggle after her strong NA mentally a bit as well.
Certainly wide open in my eyes and could definitely see Saisai snatching a second premier.

Decided to vote for Kiki though. She did not play bad in NY and as there won’t be a lot of attention this week and she likes being under the radar I see her coming through. :)

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

I'm well aware of the respective positions on the calendar, but when you have the likes of Paquet, Schoofs and Martincova into a premier event directly, whereas Konta, inside the top 40, had to go through qualifying at either Sydney or Brisbane for the same amount of points / level, good is stretching it a bit, but it obviously could have been far worse - although there's still time - you'd normally expect someone in a slam doubles final tomorrow like Sabalenka to withdraw, but she might actually be the type to get straight on a plane and play, so we'll see. The bye for Svitolina makes her much more likely to play.

A 24 year old doubles player, outside the singles top 600 getting a MDWC - I assume she must be a Zhengzhou native?

That is a pretty tough path for Kerber - potentially Riske-Zheng (in China)-Bertens-Pliskova just to make the final.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts

It's so weird seeing Paolini, Schoofs, Paquet etc as direct entries to a Premier MD with top seeds such as Pliskova, Svitolina, Kerber :lol:

Angie got a WC here to get some matches in but unfortunately I completely see her losing R1 to Riske, if these Zhengzhou courts are as fast as the other Chinese ones.

Kenin to upset Pliskova in QF, Martincova to beat Garcia R1.

Svitolina wins the title.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

Ah, thought it was just the top 2 with a bye and didn't realise Aryna had one so she might still play. She seems to do well in China and could clearly do with the points with Wuhan W and Beijing QF coming off in the next 3 or 4 weeks. There's also a possibility that she withdraws during the first round, Ostapenko loses to her qualifier, and a LL in the 200s comes into the 2nd round to play a lowly ranked qualifier for a place in a Premier QF.

I agree about SaiSai potentially making a run here.

·
Registered
15,905 Posts
The draw has respectable seeds but then it goes downhill quite quickly. To be expected when competing alongside 2 other international events.

Have to admit I was expecting more withdrawals, although there could still be 1-2 late ones - dread to think who the LL’s might be in that instance.

Watch Sai Sai go on another San Jose type run here; an amusing thought.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The vulture queen ftw

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I will never understand why they schedule premier events right after grand slams. Its like punishing players who performed well in the slam to either overplay or pull out.

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
15,905 Posts
I will never understand why they schedule premier events right after grand slams. Its like punishing players who performed well in the slam to either overplay or pull out.
WTA are greedy and have their heads so far up China’s colon it doesn’t matter if stadiums are empty and entry lists are weak or directly after a slam.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Where's the issue? :confused: This is not a mandatory tournament, not even Premier 5, and playing tennis is their well-paid (on this level) job. I would not mind such a punishment.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Ostapenko

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
I don't think Svitolina will play this thanks to reaching SF in USO. I'm backing Bertens to win since she seems to have taken over Svitolina's mantle as Premier Queen.

·
Premium Member
44,176 Posts
Take those points Elina. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts