Tennis Forum banner

Who goes on to the second week?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the drastic difference in playing style, this is easily the most fascinating early-round match on this side of the draw. Not an easy draw for Karo, and I certainly don't think she's got this in the bag by any means as Su-Wei's tennis can take anyone out of their rhythm.

I want to be optimistic that Karo can start working towards a successful Wimbledon campaign so I'l predict she'll take it in three after losing the first set.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Heart says Hsieh, mind says Pliskova. Karolina is the sort of player that can hit her off of the court, thus making it very hard for Hsieh to do her magic. The slower than usual surface could come in handy, so we'll see, I'd say 70-30 in favor of Pliskova. But then again I would have said the same about Hsieh's match against Halep last year in R3, and look how that turned out. Maybe this starts to become a tradition for Hsieh, upsetting a top 10 player in R3. Looking forward to watching this one.

·
Registered
15,043 Posts
Karo will have to serve impeccably to win this. She will also need to keep points short. Hsieh will drag her around in extended rallies, wearing her out in the process. I think it will go three sets, with Su Wei prevailing in the end

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Genuinely wouldn't mind Karo losing this one to Su-Wei as I love them both, plus this is Wimby, she most likely won't go far anyway. The only differential factor here is TF's predictable and insulting reaction towards Karo if she loses in this particular match-up, so I hope the bot can take this one.

Should be an interesting match either way :)

Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,632 Posts
Could go either way. An upset certainly wouldn't surprise me but I take nothing for granted. But while I am on the fence as to who I think will win this match I am very singular in who I am rooting for. Go Su Wei!!!! :cheer: :bowdown: :rocker: :cool: :clap2: :banana:

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I watched their match in Dubai and it was so crazy. You can expect everything, no score will surprise me.

·
Registered
10,756 Posts
I expect a tussle. When factoring the dynamic of the matchup, the playing styles, and the grass courts, I think Hsieh has the advantage. She just moves Pliskova around too much and makes herself too hard to read for someone that likes to have more time and doesn't react amazingly quickly. The match she lost against Pliskova was really one she could have won several times. I'm hoping she can take the confidence forward having actually beaten her now. :)

Things will be tricky if Karo is serving out of her gourd though. Today SW's return was not exactly on fire the whole match, and their serves are really like night and day. Maybe if she is scheduled for mixed tomorrow she can get some good practise against the mens serve though. :lol:

I also feel like, since she already almost beat a top 5 player in a slam R3 against Osaka in Australia (and really should have), the wishful thinking for me is that she's gotten her big slam choke of the year out of the way already. :hysteric:

DO IT SU WEI! :armed:

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Serve will probably make the difference here. Bot is much superior in this department. Pliskova in 2 I'd say :shrug: Hope to be wrong of course, because Hsieh is so much more interesting to watch and much more likeable in general.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I'd LOVE to watch Hsieh win it. :hearts:

And I think she has a realistic chance, considering her flat game and slicing and Pliskova's dislike for hitting low shots...but I think Pliskova is probably gonna gut it out. We'll see though, definitely a match to watch!

·
Registered
32,041 Posts
Pliskova better bring her A-Game from start to finish. So sick of her wasting opportunity after opportunity.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I completely enjoy Hsieh's game, but .....
Hsieh's trickster game could drive Ka Plis nuts, but I think Plis's power on grass should destroy Hseih's game.
Plis should be able knock the magic wand right out of Hsieh's hand and win in two.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts