Tennis Forum banner

WWW Wimbledon 2019? Serena Williams or Simona Halep?

• Serena in 2

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Serena in 3

Votes: 39 19.1%
  • Simona in 2

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Simona in 3

Votes: 43 21.1%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Serena played great today and she's obviously the big favorite.

Yeah,the H2H screams that SW is gonna take it. Also,the way Simona has been playing in finals lately... ugh.
That being said, I am sure Simona is gonna fight, as she usually does and I am sure she really wants to win this. She played so far one of her best GS tournaments ever, and this is the best she's played since RG18. Also,this is her 1st GS final since then,and I KNOW she's not gonna approach this match the way she approached her other recent finals. She's the type of player who continuously improves in her career and this is the moment she has to show what she's made of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Serena's in great form but this is the first final of a GS since FO 2014 where Halep is not the favorite. She has litterally nothing to lose, just like Radwanska in 2012 she could take a set

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Serena has a soft spot for Simo. It wont be as brutal as against Vika or Maria. Serena might just give her a set.
Serena always brings her GOAT serve against Simona, Maria and Vika apart from that one match at the YEC. Something that she hasn't been able to do in those lost Muguruza, Kerber and Osaka matches.

Simona needs to scramble and try to put as many first serves in play as possible, that's how things usually start to get dicey between them. But Serena has the mental edge in this matchup, she's probably winning number 24

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Oh dear, looks like Halep is in Serena's "Sharapova List":

Serena WILLIAMS: "The biggest key with our matches is the loss that I had. I never forgot it. She played unbelievable. That makes me know that level she played at, she can get there again. So I have to be better than that."

That 6-0, 6-2 loss at YEC 2014 apparently shook Serena hard and explains that 9-1 H2H

According to Ben Rothenberg on Twitter

I guess all the more Serena isn't going to lose on Saturday to Simona.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Demolition job for Serena. In this matchup, only her nerves can beat her really.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
People saying "If Serena plays like today" are funny. She'll need to play better. Halep will bring more balls and force Serena to hit more shots than whatever Barbie tried to do.

Still Serena in 2 though, Something like 6-3 7-5

·
Registered
795 Posts
I voted 3. Serena is hungry but Halep can hang in rallies. It will be interesting to see if Serena can keep rallies short and keep the error count limited.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts

Serena WILLIAMS: "The biggest key with our matches is the loss that I had. I never forgot it. She played unbelievable. That makes me know that level she played at, she can get there again. So I have to be better than that."

That 6-0, 6-2 loss at YEC 2014 apparently shook Serena hard and explains that 9-1 H2H

Serena was already 3-0 against Simona until that loss :shrug: In fact, since then their matches have been quite competitive. This is a complete contrast to Pova scenario :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts

I mean. Serena can say that but she also did everything she could to throw that match. She was quite passive that match and let Simona have at her.

·
Registered
85,689 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I swear some people here, even if I was coming back from the future and I'd know the exact result on Saturday I'd still not be saying the crap some here are saying, knowing how infinitely quotable this could be if it doesn't go their way (or maybe they're just going for the ultimate jinx or something). Eh, what's new, right?

I think it's going to be a great 3-setter and whoever wins we win as watchers. This is the final most secretly wanted going into the quarterfinals and now here we are, finally Serena Williams against Simona Halep in a Grand Slam final.

·
Banned
446 Posts
This is very hard, because Serena looked like again like a monster today. Halep on the other hand is playing very well.

I just wish Halep to win against Serena like Federer won against Sampras! The only player who threatens Halep's supremacy is Williams.

·
Banned
446 Posts
My favourite score would 7-6 7-6 for Halep. :)) But just fantasy, this is out of discussion in terms of predicting it for me. Simona will have to make her run and should increase the level of serve, otherwise Serena keeps winning free points with her great serving and returns.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts

Already knew that before she said it. Because of that one match, she always brings it against Simona and peaks on serve, regardles of the form in previous matches :sad: Quite the opposite of what happens against other top players that she looks very shaky against.

How amazing would it be though if Simona made up for some of those tight loses by winning their biggest encounter to date

41 - 60 of 181 Posts