Tennis Forum banner

WWW Wimbledon 2019? Serena Williams or Simona Halep?

• Serena in 2

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Serena in 3

Votes: 39 19.1%
  • Simona in 2

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Simona in 3

Votes: 43 21.1%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
54,074 Posts
A great final :hearts:

The powerful legend and best WTA player ever (with Graf) Serena vs the most consistent player and amazing mover and defender Halep.

Serena leads Head To Head 9-1 :eek:
https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/head-to-head/result.aspx?player1=20007765&player2=100081089
But the last 2 meetings have been big battles. Very close matches. Serena only won in 3 sets.
This will be their 2nd meeting on grass. The first was in 2011 !

If Serena is nervous (serve is off and UEs come), then Simona has a chance.

Reactions: lima isai

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Great final for the WTA & tennis fans ... I'm rooting for good tennis

·
Registered
30,215 Posts
What I liked about Halep today was the amount of DTL shots she hit. And with some good accuracy as well. Serena looked great when she didn't have to move to the ball so Halep has to try and take that away from her.

I wonder how Halep's nerves are going to be. She didn't look great in her last slam finals but this time she can think of her as the underdog. Think that this might help her just as much as it helped Angie in her slam finals against Serena. And Serena will be nervous for sure.

It's a toss-up, really. H2H is very favourable for Serena so she must like the pace Halep is giving to her but there have been some very close three-setters and especially the one in Melbourne earlier this year was quite exciting and close.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If Serena is uptight and stressed she has shown that her groundies can go haywire. Halep is the exact type of player you don't want to play if that's the case.
However, Serena looked laser focused out there today so the match is really in her hands. If she brings this level halep is gonna have a tough time keeping with her.
I think Serena is going to be a bit on edge and play a sloppy set but take it comfortably in the third

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Serena has clearly won this. Congrats on 24. I didn't think she would win another major but thanks to the flopping mess of WTA players here she is.
Serena will be winning slams and breastfeeding her 2nd child on changeovers, that's how useless WTA is. Trash.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Halep has lost just about every big final she has played and I don't see her suddenly showing up this time. Serena has been awful in her last 2 Slam finals being so close to No.24. I get the loss against Kerber because Angie had already scammed 1 Slam final from Serena but USO loss vs Osaka was plain bad. Having said that, it's Halep we're talking about. Simona has no power in her shots and will not have as much time as in SF vs Svitolina. Serena wins.

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Halep serve is not a problem , people just not returning it enough against her, Zhang did a pretty good job before self destructing.

Serena need to serve well and on the ground play the angles like she did today. Halep won't be able to get it back like Barbie did because her reach is way shorter.
I'm confused to how Halep's reach is shorter than Barbie when she's an inch taller.

·
Registered
84,757 Posts
If Simona manages to push Serena to a third set, her chance to win is slightly higher. Serena's stamina is a question mark. That of course if Serena's playing good level of tennis.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Have people not realised why Halep has been able to get this far on grass, it's because it's as slow as mud, the grass is longer than usual and it's benefitted her, I would like to see a new winner of Wimbledon but on all surfaces as per h2h, I can't see how she can defend from Serena here, looks like a straightforward 2-0 job.

Reactions: lima isai

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,070 Posts
If Serena doesn't win this... :help:

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
Simona has to take risks here. A lot of bhdtl and really try to move serena as early as she can in rallies. If you give serena 2 or 3 same balls in rally she will put you away. Obviously is serenas serve is clicking nothing yoi can do. I dont expect serena to start well due to nerves. So simona gotta do the most before serena wakes up. Very tough to go against serena here

·
Registered
687 Posts
Forgot to mention. Not only 9-1 H2H is brutally depressing, the only time Serena lost to Halep, she actually won the tournament smashing Halep in the final. Obviously this is only possible in YEC format. Still funny af...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Halep stans so hard for Serena in the past 5 years. It’s gonna be 3 setters with Serena wins in the end, as always.
Serena has a soft spot for Simo. It wont be as brutal as against Vika or Maria. Serena might just give her a set.

·
Registered
54,074 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,392 Posts
Obviously rooting for Serena but I think this will be a fight. H2H is dominant for Serena but they have had battles more times than not.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Re: WWW Wimbledon? Serena v Halep

Simona, most likely. Rooting for Serena to win #24 but my head says Simona. This is how I feel about some arguments:

—> Serena was unplayable today.
1. It's Strycova.
2. It's Strycova.
3. She was also "unplayable" in the SF last year vs. Goerges and then got demolished by Kerber. Why? Because she hadn't faced an opponent who could return her serve and really make her hit that extra ball over and over again. Simona can certainly do the same on these slower grass courts.

—> Simona has a mental block against Serena/plays poor in Slam Finals
1. Only played poorly in RG 2017 final.
2. The "mental block" didn't stop her from recovering and nearly beating Serena (had 3 BPs to lead in final set) after being breadsticked in AO.
3. She also had poor H2Hs against Pova and Wozniacki before playing them very close in Slam finals.
4. Serena's last two Slam finals: Osaka def. Serena 62 64 (1h 19min), Kerber def. Serena 63 63 (1h 7min)

So, yeah.

—> Its grass.
1. Simona has reached the QF of Wimbledon 3 of the last 5 seasons before this one. Now she's in the F. Clearly not a grass court scrub.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There is no doubt in my mind that Simona takes this. This girl learns from past mistakes as the SF against Svitolina showed. She needs to be agressive, paint the lines and move Serena around a lot. Also she needs to not be scared by Serena's screams and just not let her get into her mind. Otherwise Simona has the game to win this and she knows that in the past her passivity cost her a lot of matches against Serena.

21 - 40 of 181 Posts