Tennis Forum banner

WWW Wimbledon 2019? Serena Williams or Simona Halep?

• Serena in 2

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • Serena in 3

Votes: 39 19.1%
  • Simona in 2

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • Simona in 3

Votes: 43 21.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
11,348 Posts
Re: WWW Wimbledon? Serena v Halep

Always forget how dominating this h2h is...

Weak era?

At least Serena doesn't have to face Osaka or Kerber this time.

Wait... lol

Serena 25-1 vs CSN, Strycova, Goerges & Halep

Was quite a good draw in the end, the danger match was Riske

Reactions: Ascanius

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Re: WWW Wimbledon? Serena v Halep

If Serena plays like she did today Halep will do good to win more games than Strycova.

Though I'm expecting some final jitters from Williams, so I'll say Simona wins a set.

Serena still wins #24 though. Halep just has a mental block against Serena and I don't think she can overcome that at Wimbledon, on Serena's favourite court and in her best Grand Slam.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Simona played great but if serena plays like she did today , it will be easy 2 set win for serena. If nervous final serena shows up halep has a chance. But i dont see serena losing now. Halep will feel terrible if she loses 4th slam final out of 5

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
Halep serve is not a problem , people just not returning it enough against her, Zhang did a pretty good job before self destructing.

Serena need to serve well and on the ground play the angles like she did today. Halep won't be able to get it back like Barbie did because her reach is way shorter.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Yikes, if Serena plays like today I don't think Simona will have good memories of her first Wimbledon final. Though Simona is a much better player than Barbie, her game lacks the variety that Barbie's has and that was pretty much the only thing that troubled Serena today.

I don't count Simona out because Serena's been known to have bad days and she's only played well the last couple of weeks, so it's no certainty that she'll play well in the final.

But yeah, can't imagine Simona winning more than a couple of games per set if Serena plays like this. If Serena's level drops a bit, she'll still win in 3. It will take a real loss of form from Serena for Simona to be able to beat her.

EDIT: I forgot the h2h is 9-1 to Serena :help:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Losing to Kerber and Osaka is one thing, but to lose to Halep on grass!? She lost a final to friggin Mertens!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
serena lost her last 2 grand slam finals due to her lack of physically fitness. as expected when coming back from childbirth, it takes awhile for the body to get back into shape. now that a year later, serena is a lot fitter, i don't see her losing this final. she had to really choke and get injured like she did in ao against pliskova in order to lose this final.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That one was brutal, but that one after was also brutal.

1 - 20 of 181 Posts