• Elise Mertens in 2 sets

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Elise Mertens in 3 sets

Votes: 44 37.3%
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Kenin her fierce face is back. Mertens has yet to beat a top player since the restart, don't let the wins fools you. She can't even beat injured Osaka on one leg.

Reactions: Perun and Rena P

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
It's weird how much people underrate Kenin considering how they overrate Mertens.
Kenin in 2

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
33 Posts
Elise consistently plays to her ranking but this is starting to remind me of her AO 2018 SF run where she beat the players she was favored against prior to her upset over Elina in the QF. Even though it's one round earlier I'm seeing a similar upset even though it wouldn't be nearly as big.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I don’t feel Kenin is the type of player Mertens will fare well against. Mertens is a smart saavy player who exploits opponents games and mental weaknesses well. There is nobody out there in my mind on the women’s side who smells weakness better than Mertens does. If you become unraveled she will crush you every time. Sofia is very level headed out there and tough to shake, unless she comes out with nothing this is a tall order for Mertens

·
Registered
114,717 Posts
Mertens made a lot of forehand errors in set 1 last round. She has to play more consistently to get to Azarenka

·
Registered
182 Posts
From what I'm reading of these posts, it's not that Mertens is being over-rated, but that Kenin is being slightly under-rated. You don't win a Grand Slam without some mental toughness. So I rather agree with the advocate above for Mertens' mental toughness, that Kenin's psyche's not really a weakness here for Mertens to exploit. Both players are healthy, both matches they've played have been close (I saw the last one), both Kenin won. Probably she's favored because she hits a little harder than Elise, so will be able to control more points. I would expect no different in this match. And Mertens is one of my faves.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Now that the received wisdom (including my opinion) is that Mertens plays to her ranking, it would be just like the WTA for her to break out of this mold and win some big matches.

But Kenin in 3, she is in a fighting mood

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
I don't know why, but I feel Mertens is like a gatekeeper, when you figure her out, you're ready for the top of the game. She rarely beats herself.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I picked Mertens to get the final before the tournament...I feel like I must stick with her...

·
Registered
290 Posts
The fast courts a leveler so Power isn't as important,it's that fast.Journeywomen can play these fast courts too if they get forward.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts