• Bencic by walkover

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting match-up.

I haven't watched Belinda play all tournament, but seems like she has an injury cloud over her? But this is a good match-up for her. Bencic has won their previous 3 meetings, including the last 2 this year, including coming from 3-5 down in the 3rd set in their meeting in Madrid this year to win 3-6 6-2 7-5 and 6-3 6-1 rout in IW when Naomi was trying to defend her title. Osaka hasn't beaten her in 6 years since 2013.

Osaka needs to play as focused and composed as she did today against Gauff. I've been really liking how her level has consistently improved as this tournament progressed, but her serve isn't still firing yet and she really needs that to be working against Belinda.

This is a really unpredictable match IMO because it depends on the extent of Bencic's injury (but today's walkover should help her recover) and Osaka's level of play. I'll be a little bit biased as a fan of Naomi and think she wins in 3.

·
Registered
21,964 Posts
Bencic has owned Naomi but if Osaka can play the level she did tonight, especially in that 2nd set, then Bencic won't stand a chance.

Reactions: Seun

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
if Belinda beats Osaka then she should ask Osaka to give a post-match interview:laugh2:

i dont think Belinda will win though ,she is injured .

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Bencic makes it 3-0.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Bencic anywhere near her best may have too much for a Naomi that's been serving around 50% the entire tournament. That said, I haven't watched Bencic much so far (just surprised to notice she struggled against Cornet) and I think Naomi might get a boost from the R3 beatdown she just dished out. Bit of a tossup, but I'll go with the matchup history and say Bencic in three.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
Naomi gonna win it this time. Its slam and second week is here. Crowd support she will be getting. Last time she choked but this time she will pull it off. I have faith in her.. She is getting in zone ... wonderful ground game she showed today but need to land first serves more. Naomi gonna win in 3
I remember reading when junior number one bencic was shocked by unknown osaka at itf tournament... she lost badly at hardcourt match but lost last one on clay.. If clay isnt bencic's surface, its not naomi's fave either.. She has every tool to hurt bencic. She will be prepared this time.

·
Registered
115,555 Posts
Bencic has to prove herself in majors. Andreescu also. And Osaka is the proven slam winner you have to beat in this half

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think Naomi turned a page tonight.
She brought the focus that has been missing since Australia and I think she will be able to carry that into overcoming Belinda.

I voted Naomi in 2, but I don't really think it's going to be as straightforward as it was against Coco.

·
Registered
11,933 Posts
What is the nature of Belinda's injury?

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
I feel this time Naomi will get the "W". That Madrid Match was also a learning experience. Remember how Osaka learned from that disastrous Keys Match in 2016 and came back and beat her last year 6-2, 6-4.

If she finds her Serve more she'll get it done in two or three.

·
Banned
2,413 Posts
I feel this time Naomi will get the "W". That Madrid Match was also a learning experience. Remember how Osaka learned from that disastrous Keys Match in 2016 and came back and beat her last year 6-2, 6-4.

If she finds her Serve more she'll get it done in two or three.
first serve percentage needs to go up and i was pleased with ground game today

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Osaka is Belinda's bitch based on their 2 head-to-heads earlier this year.

I thought as soon as the draw came out that Bencic would be a sleeper in this top section. Nobody talked about her at all. Facing Gauff was an absolute gift of a 3R for Naomi, she has proven nothing yet in this tournie. It'll be a surprise for me if Bencic doesn't advance.

Then we can watch the twins play each other in the QF... i hope they both wear the same outfit so that nobody can tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
Osaka is Belinda's bitch based on their 2 head-to-heads earlier this year.

I thought as soon as the draw came out that Bencic would be a sleeper in this top section. Nobody talked about her at all. Facing Gauff was an absolute gift of a 3R for Naomi, she has proven nothing yet in this tournie. It'll be a surprise for me if Bencic doesn't advance.

Then we can watch the twins play each other in the QF... i hope they both wear the same outfit so that nobody can tell them apart.
Bencic always struggled when she isn't the Crowd Favourite. The Crowd could really be the X-Factor Monday. Osaka is kind of half American so the Crowd will be pulling for her.

Also, this is a Slam where little Ivan Bencic can't come down to give advice like he could in IW but particularly in Madrid Match :devil:

·
Registered
16,648 Posts
It's all up to Osaka. Bencic is all defense. Hingis 2.0
Can't hurt Naomi in this US Open. Osaka is just too strong for her.

·
Registered
17,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's all up to Osaka. Bencic is all defense. Hingis 2.0
Can't hurt Naomi.
Have you not watched Belinda before? She's one of the most aggressive players on tour... takes the ball early, takes time away from her opponent, redirects the ball extremely well..

Just because she doesn't end points in 1 or 2 shots ala Keys or Giorgi doesn't mean she's "all defense" :shrug:

And she sure as hell ain't Hingis 2.0. Doesn't play with the court craft nor variety Martina does, maybe only their anticipation can compare.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Have you not watched Belinda before? She's one of the most aggressive players on tour... takes the ball early, takes time away from her opponent, redirects the ball extremely well..

Just because she doesn't end points in 1 or 2 shots ala Keys or Giorgi doesn't mean she's "all defense" :shrug:

And she sure as hell ain't Hingis 2.0. Doesn't play with the court craft nor variety Martina does, maybe only their anticipation can compare.
Exactly. She’s a counter puncher but her defence is actually quite mediocre. She’s not good on the stretch at all & her foot speed is on the slower side of the tour. She beats players with anticipation and redirecting pace with a good combination of pace, angle (especially dtl) and depth. She rushes her opponents into forced errors and bad shot selections (unforced errors).

That said, it’s so ignorant to think it’s on Osaka’s racquet. And I would argue, especially given the h2h, that it’s actually on Bencic’s racquet. Both, however, are in questionable form. Osaka makes too many UEs off the ground & her serve is not the weapon it was last year. I would say Bencic but this is a slam, so Osaka has a big mental edge.

my guess: Osaka in three with a classic Bencic meltdown?

·
Premium Member
64,880 Posts
As much as I want a TayTo-Belinda SF, I think, Belinda is not ready to beat Naomi here at the moment.
But we shall see. I won't be sad either way cause Naomi is lovely, but I am obviously cheering Belinda on.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Belinda hasn't been in the greatest form as of late. Plus she might be injured as well. So I guess I would favour Naomi to win this match.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts