Votes: 42 24.4%
  • Serena in 3

Votes: 15 8.7%
  • Andreescu in 3

Votes: 51 29.7%

WWW: US Open Final 2019 - Battle of the Wig

26K views 234 replies 123 participants last post by  Mr.Sharapova 
#1 ·
Horror Scene vs Eurotrashcu. May the best wig wins.

See less See more
#3 ·
Serena hasn't been able to handle the moment since coming back so I won't know until I see the first few games of the match on Saturday. Regardless of how well she has played going into these finals, it has all seemed to fall apart in the final so until she shows me otherwise, I will not at all be surprised if Andreescu wins. For me, its all about which Serena shows up.

#67 ·
And what moment has Bianca handled again?Indian Wells and Toronto sized moments? Puhlease. Serena has 23 moments that proves she is a force. Why do you keep acting like Serena is some mental midget in finals when you damn well know the first loss was only 4 months into her comeback, the second only a year after a childbirth that almost killed her, and the third where she was coming back from injury (and only barely had her knee drained so she couldn’t train or play any leadups). She has said in multiple interviews that she’s finally healthy and able to train and play smaller tournaments, and here she is again in a final. Hope she proves you wrong on Saturday.

#54 ·
Honestly I’m scared for Serena again. Andreescu is scary good and tough as nails under pressure. Serena on the other hand has been crumbling under pressure in a slam final.

Attributable to: lack of adequate pre-tournament preparations post-pregnancy, knee, back and weight issues that took time to adjust to, low confidence due to lack of sufficient match play. A totally different scenario this time around. More believe and confidence in her overall game and shot-making and faster on her feet. The miscalculation for the opponent is to assess Serena game or her overrall chances based on the 3 Finals she lost. For me, I sense a player showing up on Saturday with a totally different mentality. The effort has always been there; (3 finals to date). What is left is the proper execution and I think she is finally ready.

#9 ·
Interesting match.

Too bad the Rogers Cup final ended in a Serena retirement so we can't really gauge how they will match-up in styles in just that 4 games played.

I don't know. Bianca hasn't looked very convincing all tournament with regard to her level of play (even she admitted this in her post-QF press conference), but she's been showing a lot of determination, grit, and mental strength. That'll take her a long way, but I'm not sure if that alone would be enough to beat Serena in a USO final.

Then of course Serena - if she plays well, we know she's very hard to beat. But then again, she has been a nervous wreck in her past three GS finals and her footwork has gotten from bad to worse in those three finals. Plus, she has those demons from the final here last year.

Honestly, everything depends on Serena's mental state. If she's a nervous mess, Bianca wins in easy two; but if she's focused and not thinking about 24 and just playing the ball, then it'll be a tough battle, and if that's the case, I think Serena will edge it.

Maybe it's just me, but I do think Williams will finally get her hands on #24 now. It took her 3 or 4 tries to shake off the nerves and get to #18 too, and I think this time she is ready for it, especially since the crowd will be fully behind her.

But anyway, I'll be happy with whoever wins the final. Serena for history, Bianca to mark the birth of a true star. Win or lose this one, Bianca will be winning many more GS titles in the years to come.

#19 ·
Interesting match.

Too bad the Rogers Cup final ended in a Serena retirement so we can't really gauge how they will match-up in styles in just that 4 games played.

I don't know. Bianca hasn't looked very convincing all tournament with regard to her level of play (even she admitted this in her post-QF press conference), but she's been showing a lot of determination, grit, and mental strength. That'll take her a long way, but I'm not sure if that alone would be enough to beat Serena in a USO final.

Then of course Serena - if she plays well, we know she's very hard to beat. But then again, she has been a nervous wreck in her past three GS finals and her footwork has gotten from bad to worse in those three finals. Plus, she has those demons from the final here last year.

Honestly, everything depends on Serena's mental state. If she's a nervous mess, Bianca wins in easy two; but if she's focused and not thinking about 24 and just playing the ball, then it'll be a tough battle, and if that's the case, I think Serena will edge it.

Maybe it's just me, but I do think Williams will finally get her hands on #24 now. It took her 3 or 4 tries to shake off the nerves and get to #18 too, and I think this time she is ready for it, especially since the crowd will be fully behind her.

But anyway, I'll be happy with whoever wins the final. Serena for history, Bianca to mark the birth of a true star. Win or lose this one, Bianca will be winning many more GS titles in the years to come.
In the bolded. IF Ree keeps her nerves mostly in check and she can play from start to finish in the way she can still play, 24 is hers. Not that Bianca won't be in the match, she's tough. But then again, she really didn't have to be too tough vs Belinda who gave away so many chances to actually give herself a chance at this match--even with her dodgy play.

Both players will give it all they can. And now that I think about it, how do we know that Bianca won't be nervous? We may see an all-nerves match. We'll see this Saturday how the stars align and for whom. I want for them to align for Ree of course.

#11 ·
If they can mentally get her ready. If someone can get her to visualise Sharapova on the other side of the net....then Serena wins.

If Serena comes out soooo tight like she has the last three slam finals, then yeah....she ain't gonna do it.

Reactions: Perun and Carnet
#12 ·
I really hope I'm wrong, but I think Andreescu in straight sets :sobbing:

Serena has been moving well in this tournament and her ground game has improved considerably when compared to the start of the year. Still, even at her current best, she is no longer the best player on tour and can be outplayed.

Andreescu has a mental fortitude at 19 that very few players have exhibited in the 21st century. She is fearless and has the benefit of not having any pressure on her shoulders. That aside, she has all the tools to outplay Serena and win the match on her own terms.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm incredibly proud of Serena :hug: Making all these consecutive deep runs at slams is only enhancing her already immense legacy.

#14 ·
Will be interesting. It all depends on which Serena is gonna show up, coz we all know her form up until the final is irrelevant these days. Bianca has to hit the balls cleaner. Let’s see how she is gonna react mentally to her first slam final. She looked impressive under pressure in her first slam semi today.

I just hope Serena would not create another dramatic mess out of this final (especially if she is losing). Please just not another one Serena.

#33 ·
She didn't create any "mess" as you said when she was JOBBED for all the world to see in her 2004 quarter finals vs Capriati, which bought shot spot into tennis for GOOD.

Also, it didn't take much to look good vs Belinda today. Belinda was pretty bad in both sets, especially up a double-breaker in set 2 in which she did an el foldo.

#17 ·
Believe me,Williams will have to put this one away like 6-4,6-3 otherwise she's losing. Andreescu has dug deep and fought through so many tough moments this tournament,Williams hasn't. I just don't know if Williams has the killer instinct she used to have to fight fire with fire so I'll guess Bianca in 3...

#24 ·
So... my gut instinct is that Serena wins this in 2. Several reasons:

1. The match up. Players like Kerber, Halep, and Osaka are fantastic at absorbing the pace of Serena and redirecting it, which is why they put Rena under so much pressure in the Slam finals. A player like Andreescu isn't nearly as fantastic at hitting on the run, even though she moves pretty well. She mostly seeks to dominate rallies from the center of the baseline, which Serena does better. There's also her game, which consists of mixing it up with slices and dropshots and higher balls, but she never *fully* commits to this in a way that would constantly trouble Serena, like McNally managed to do.

2. It's her 4th Slam final since coming back. She has to win one at some point :lol:

3. Errors and cheap points. Andreescu naturally makes a lot of errors. This could obviously change in the final, considering Andreescu had to be the attacker against Townsend, Mertens, and Bencic. Most likely, she'll be on the defensive in the Final. But again, her defense isn't good enough to constantly put Serena under the pressure where she'll need to play several shots in a row, so there will be cheap points for Serena (things she didn't get in her last 3 slam finals).

BUT if Serena gets nervous, has a dip, and loses a set, she WILL NOT WIN THIS IN 3. Andreescu wins this if it goes to 3 sets. She's just too good in match play and raising her level at the most important of moments, it's uncanny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.