Tennis Forum banner

Who will win

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
I can't believe Halep's up there with Serena in the poll. Knowing TF, it could be a lot of haters trying to jinx her, but even with a soft draw to at least the 4th round, I'm concerned with what I've seen from Simona since Wimbledon. Watched multiple clips of her practices with Barty and Kasatkina, and was hard-pressed to find a point Simona won. I know it's just practice, but the problem is Simona practices just like she plays: Living 10' behind the baseline; afraid to come forward; refusing to take balls out of the air; making tons of errors because she's too far back; and not reading & reacting to drop shots. And Cahill's standing there on court with her, acting as her coach again. That's bad news, because he sucks as a coach. He actually said on ESPN he's okay with her rolling in first serves, because if she tries to get free points off the serve, her percentage will dip below 50%, and her strength is the first ball after her serve. That first ball where she's already backing up because her puffball serve is getting crushed. She was paying this guy 8 figures??
Simona will be lucky to reach the 4th round to lose to Andreescu or, God forbid, Woz. A great chance for Gibbs to have her career-best win.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Time to try and break this draw down...

First of all there's plenty of question marks regarding the fitness and form of many top players...

Quarter 1
This is where the question marks start, are Naomi Osaka and Belinda Bencic fit enough to be title contenders? If they are then either one of them could easily win the whole thing, if not then it's a big opportunity for someone like Anett Kontaveit to have a good run, or dare I say it even the winner of Gauff/Potapova could potentially go far.

Second part of this quarter is very hard to predict. Sabalenka vs Azarenka will be an interesting watch, Vekic, Bertens and Goerges also in this section. There's possible dangerous floaters in this section too, Kanepi and Pavlyuchenkova aren't in good form but as we've seen in the past with them, they can easily put together a decent run at a Grand Slam.

Quarter 2
More question marks in this section with the fitness of Simona Halep, if her Achilles injury has fully recovered then you fully expect her to make at least R4. Bianca Andreescu also in this section, can she manage two full weeks without looking like she's about to drop dead? Fingers crossed we get a Halep vs Andreescu match in R4.

With Sloane Stephens back under Kamau Murray it will be interesting to see if she's actually motivated for this tournament. She's involved in a tough section though, Kuznetsova comes into this on the back of beating Sloane in Cincy and of course making the final there. The winner of Riske vs Muguruza could easily have a decent run. Finally Petra Kvitova is also in this section, still getting back into the swing of things after injury, if that arm is ok though then she could do some damage here.

Quarter 3
Svitolina, Yastremska, Kenin and Keys the seeded players in this section, Venus also in there too. The winner of the tournament could well come from this section, if certain players aren't fully fit then Keys or Kenin in my opinion could well be lifting that trophy in two weeks time.

As for the other half of this quarter, Karolina Pliskova has an incredibly kind draw, knowing her though she'll probably mess it up at some point.

Quarter 4
As long as lethargic Serena doesn't turn up then she should navigate through her section with relative ease. All the variety players in her section like Sevastova, Hsieh, Martic and Muchova, all four could give Serena the run around and test her fitness but I expect Serena to come through.

Barty hasn't been in convincing form lately but she has a nice section, Kerber likewise. They could potentially meet in R4 but I could easily see the winner of Sakkari/Giorgi causing some upsets.

Overall thoughts
A lot will rest on the fitness of the likes of Osaka, Halep and Serena in particular, if all three are fully fit, then I make them the three favourites for the title. If not then it will be a big opportunity for someone like Keys, Andreescu, Pliskova or Kenin to win their first Grand Slam.

Final Prediction - Halep/Andreescu vs Keys/Serena

·
La nuit je mens
91,805 Posts
In what world could Bencic easily win the whole thing ?

She have never shown anything suggesting she could go all the way at Slam level yet. So saying she can EASILY win the whole thing if healthy is, well, a choice.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts

She have never shown anything suggesting she could go all the way at Slam level yet. So saying she can EASILY win the whole thing if healthy is, well, a choice.
Talent wise she's good enough to win a Slam, if she's healthy enough then I'd class her as a contender.

She's ranked 13th for a reason, she's had a fairly decent season.

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
5 Lucky Losers :facepalm:

The new rule is simply stupid :eek: It only leads to more late withdrawals and more LLs :help:

Late withdrawals should be punished and not rewarded.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
I can't believe Halep's up there with Serena in the poll. Knowing TF, it could be a lot of haters trying to jinx her, but even with a soft draw to at least the 4th round, I'm concerned with what I've seen from Simona since Wimbledon. Watched multiple clips of her practices with Barty and Kasatkina, and was hard-pressed to find a point Simona won. I know it's just practice, but the problem is Simona practices just like she plays: Living 10' behind the baseline; afraid to come forward; refusing to take balls out of the air; making tons of errors because she's too far back; and not reading & reacting to drop shots. And Cahill's standing there on court with her, acting as her coach again. That's bad news, because he sucks as a coach. He actually said on ESPN he's okay with her rolling in first serves, because if she tries to get free points off the serve, her percentage will dip below 50%, and her strength is the first ball after her serve. That first ball where she's already backing up because her puffball serve is getting crushed. She was paying this guy 8 figures??
Simona will be lucky to reach the 4th round to lose to Andreescu or, God forbid, Woz. A great chance for Gibbs to have her career-best win.
Why isn't Svitolina getting more votes? I don't see her losing to Kenin 3 times in a row and she bt Keys in Melbourne.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

I totally agree.

And I just don't like her game personally which is based on redirecting the ball at a fast pace. I mean she strikes the ball quite well but she just lacks the 'it' factor for me that says GS winner.

·
Registered
57,944 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts

Gotcha!! Good anti jinx . Keep on doing it. In all honesty I agree with you in the sense that she may lose to Andreescu in 4th round.

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
6 LLs in main draw :help:

That is embarrassing. A new record ? :tape:

@Haleptard
If players tank in main draw, they will be punished like Tatishvili at French Open !
And if you lost in Quali, then you have no right to play and are not good enough for main draw.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
6 LLs in main draw :help:

That is embarrassing. A new record ? :tape:

@Haleptard
If players tank in main draw, they will be punished like Tatishvili at French Open !
And if you lost in Quali, then you have no right to play and are not good enough for main draw.
First of all, the possibility of a fine didn't prevent players from still showing up injured for their R1 matches. You know, those players who play ITFs/Internationals to keep their ranking up, fund 60-80% of their careers from slam R1-R2 cheques and will have a hard time leaving that much money on the table when they are injured. It's why this rule was introduced in the first place.

Secondly Tatishvili wasn't injured, she was healthy enough to play.

Last but not least, she ended up having her fine scrapped :p

·
Registered
715 Posts
Talent wise she's good enough to win a Slam, if she's healthy enough then I'd class her as a contender.

She's ranked 13th for a reason, she's had a fairly decent season.
Talent wise there really is not much. Smart tennis with limited weapons is another matter. Bencic has got awful serve, 2nd is very easy to destroy and her return is almost as bad. There is a reason Lisicki once hit 27 aces past her in a 2 set match with 6-1, 7-6 score. Yes, it was Sabine and grass but there are plenty of other occasions when players hit double digit aces past her weak return game.

I can't think of any top 20 player who is easier to ace or hit unreturnables against. Also, she can't hit opponents off the court either, so relies on her brain game. I know she's missed significant amount of time because of injuries but has only made 1 Slam QF. There's a reason for it. I call it lack of game. That was in 2014 USO, her 4th Slam. Has not been out R3 this year.

Sevastova is ranked 11th without ever winning Premier title or better. Is she also good enough to win a Slam?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Winner of the Andreescu vs Wozniacki/Collins Match will reach the Semifinals I think from the 2nd Quarter.
Only Wozniacki has been pretty much gone for the last year and a half plus her illness...she has no chance of making it that far...

·
Registered
32,360 Posts
Picture of Wozniacki and Ostapenko stare down after examining their half of the draw....

·
Registered
57,944 Posts
6 of 8 seeds reached R3 in 1st quarter !
Osaka vs Gauff
Bencic vs Kontaveit
Vekic vs Putintseva
Bertens vs Görges

Only 3 of 8 seeds reached R3 in 2nd quarter ! :help:
Cirstea vs Townsend
Andreescu vs Wozniacki
Ostapenko vs Ahn
Mertens vs Petkovic

7 of 8 seeds reached R3 in 3rd quarter ! :eek: The strongest quarter :worship:
Svitolina vs Yastremska
Keys vs Kenin
Konta vs Zhang
Karo Pliskova vs Jabeur

6 of 8 seeds reached R3 in 4th quarter !
Serena vs Muchova
Sevastova vs Martic
Wang vs Ferro
Barty vs Sakkari

101 - 120 of 137 Posts