(14)Angelique Kerber - Kristina Mladenovic
Fiona Ferro - Daria Gavrilova
Viktoria Kuzmova - Alison Van Uytvanck
(Q)Caroline Dolehide - (18)Qiang Wang

(30)Maria Sakkari - Camila Giorgi
(Q)Shuai Peng - (LL)Varvara Lepchenko
Lauren Davis - (Q)Johanna Larsson
Zarina Diyas - (2)Ashleigh Barty

Also, Apologize for accidentally missspelling Bartys name in the poll, I can't correct it. :sad:

Please, INFORM ME OF ANY NAME MISSPELLING. THANK YOU.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Of the ones that are listed and can realistically win...i like Osaka's draw the best...Barty has Serena to deal with, Pliskova has either Keys or Kenin...and Halep has Andreescu...don't believe anyone else in the list except Serena can win...and i will say Serena will get to the final and lose again to whoever is there...

·
Registered
434 Posts
Naomi has a nice draw... Bencic being the only one who could cause her a problem getting into the second week.
It's actually nice to see Naomi get drawn against anyone other than Hsieh, Sevastova or Poots.

Otherwise, apart from Serena vs Maria, it's a pretty boring draw. Seems pretty straight forward for most of the top 10 seeds.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Serena actually has quite a tricky draw IMO, even with that R1. R2 against Bacsinszky could be tricky (Timea pushed her hard @ FO before), plus Muchova/Hsieh R3 could flummox her with their variety, and again with Sevastova in R4. Kerber/Barty in QF is also difficult for her tbh, Angie especially but Kerber is in extremely questionable form so no guarantees she makes it to 2nd week. I actually think if she can get through QF the SF is probably easier for her lol.

I do think that Osaka has probably the softest draw among the top seeds along with Pliskova.

Azarenka to upset Sabalenka and Kuznetsova to beat Sloane in R2.

I'm going out on a limb and say that we get a rematch of last year's final again.

·
Registered
112,699 Posts
Potapova had better not lose her round 1. I think this will be a wild one, maybe a total crazy winner. I'm picking Andreescu, but someone like Konta wont surprise me
I dont think Serena will handle the pressure. It grows every major because she is getting older and she knows it

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I put Svitolina as a semi troll option :eek:h: I really want Elina-Dayana to happen in R3.

Though ugh, of course Venus gets Saisai Zheng and then Svitolina again.

Bianca has a decent draw. If she isn't injured, she could do it! Poor Volynets gets her in R1. Andreescu-Osaka SF would be amazing!

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
That Barty section is going to be a mess, I can already feel it. It's probably going to be the customary two journeywomen fighting out for a GS QF spot that seems to happen in every women's draw nowadays.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Ugh Barty gets Lauren Davis who is somewhat in form, and then Sakkari. The match could go Sakkari's way this time :/

Hope she makes QF at least!

·
Registered
619 Posts
There are no clear favorites, but the usual pattern in the WTA lately has been a top 10 player who hasn't done much else lately (other than 1 good result) and has been flying under the radar for a while.

Petra Kvitova- As outlandish as it sounds, it's consistent of the theme of top 10 players winning a slam while completely flying under the radar or being in questionable form prior to the slam. As much as people love saying how unpredictable GS winners are in the WTA that isn't at all the case if you take a look and analyse. Apart from Ostapenko and maybe Pennetta (who had several SFs and QFs at the US Open prior to her win), there haven't been any massive shock winners in this decade.

Karolina Pliskova- She is another top 10 player who fits the role of flying under the radar. She made the final in 2016 and two consecutive QFs in the last two years.

Madison Keys- A bit of recency bias here but her results at Grand Slams are incredible and better than the majority of top 10 players. She is also QF-F-SF at the US Open in the last 3 years. If she can finally believe in herself and control her nerves, she could win here. I don't think it will happen, but anything is possible.

Early upsets:

Naomi Osaka- The pressure of being the top seed and a defending champion will crush her and the fact that she is going into the US Open injured just spells disaster.

Aryna Sabalenka- an early loss here would complete the sophomore slump year for her.

Kiki Bertens- She is just a lost cause in slams.

Sloane Stephens- She has done absolutely nothing to improve her game since becoming a top player.

Dark horses: Belinda Bencic, Sofia Kenin, Bianca Andreescu, Angelique Kerber (she is also a candidate for an early upset).

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Naomi has a perfect draw except for Bencic and her knee. Girl you better heal up, and deal with Coco and your fellow '97 who is determined to turn you into a pigeon.

Serena can get that final again, maybe even 24.

·
Registered
16,473 Posts
Pliskova has a reasonable draw which means she is going to screw it up :tape: :lol:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Out of top 10 seeds, the winner of the draw obviously is Keys. Sonya could be a problem but she just beat her in Cincy. Svitolina is a non-factor in Slams and might not even get out of the 2nd round. I'd like Keys' chances on home turf against Pliskova in QF. Bizarrely, these two have not met yet.

Serena has got decent section as well. Having said that, Hsieh could be very tricky in R3 but Patrick will come up with a good game plan, like play more at the net. That's what they have been doing against players with variety. Last year's SF rematch vs Sevastova looming in R4, if Sevastova can overcome Martic.

If Osaka is fit and they both get that far, Osaka-Sabalenka could be very good. I believe, Aryna was up a break in 3rd set on Osaka last year when double faulted herself out of the tournament.

Sloane-Kuzy-Osta-Garbine-Kvitova is unfairly loaded section with 5 major winners. Obviously Ostapenko will lose against Krunic but the rest is anyone's guess. And I would not put past Ali taking out Muguruza. Motivated Sloane, now back with Kamau, is my favorite to come out of this portion of the draw.

·
Registered
30,801 Posts
Keys, because why not? She likes this event, has gotten close before, and is putting together some nice tennis lately.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I need that Hsieh/Muchova R2 :drool:

Been wishing for this match-up to happen ever since Wimbledon. The court craft and variety will be something to behold

·
Registered
12,465 Posts
Who has pulled out late apart from Amanda and Schmiedlova? There are 3 LL spots :shrug:

Nevermind, it's Bepa :(

1 - 20 of 137 Posts