Tennis Forum banner

Who will win?

• 1 Naomi Osaka

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2 Simona Halep

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 3 Petra Kvitova

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • 4 Karolina Pliskova (defending champion)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 5 Angelique Kerber

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • 6 Kiki Bertens

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 7 Anastasija Sevastova

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 Anett Kontaveit

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Other (please specify in post)

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
21,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top half
1 Osaka vs BYE
Q. Wang vs Hsieh
Mertens vs Kasatkina
Vekic vs LL Gatto-Monticone
4 Ka. Pliskova vs BYE
LL Zvonareva vs Azarenka
Pavlyuchenkova vs Goerges
Garcia vs 8 Kontaveit

Bottom half
7 Sevastova vs Ostapenko
Tsurenko vs WC Siegemund
Q Minnen vs WC Cibulkova
BYE vs 3 Kvitova
6 Bertens vs Q Friedsam
Q Minella vs Bencic
Q Sorribes Tormo vs WC Petkovic
BYE vs 5 Kerber

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,880 Posts
I am very, very surprised to see Nastja Sevastova in the draw. I thought she was going to have an operation on her back and we were not going to be seeing her for a while. Don't know what to think about her appearance here, but I hope she is feeling healthier. I have my doubts though. Regardless, I will hope for the best. It would be great if Nastja was able to sort out her back issues without an operation.

You think too much, Hsieh is not good on Clay.
And Osaka is? For the record Naomi Osaka has never defeated a top 30 player on clay. Nor has she gotten past the 3rd round of any WTA event on clay.

·
Registered
113,402 Posts
That is a stacked draw! Bertens & Halep in the same quarter. Osaka & Kerber in the same quarter

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Angie might win it, for the home crowd

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
And Osaka is? For the record Naomi Osaka has never defeated a top 30 player on clay. Nor has she gotten past the 3rd round of any WTA event on clay.
Did you forget about Wang?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That is a stacked draw! Bertens & Halep in the same quarter. Osaka & Kerber in the same quarter
That's what happens when you're dealing with such a small draw for a tournament that for many top players marks the start of the clay season.

I have absolutely no idea who's going to win, but I do know I'd like a Kvitova Halep match in that bottom half, so it's probably not going to happen because those two never meet (last time was in 2016) despite being two of the top 3 players right now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
when I saw Mugu vs Vika I thought "oh no"... but then I realized Azarenka has to fly all the way from Brisbane... and even if they push it all the way til Wednesday that's good for Garbi too so she can practice on clay but without the jetlag/tiredness that Vika will probably have

·
33,880 Posts
Did you forget about Wang?
I certainly didn't. I have made no assumptions it will be Hsieh that Osaka faces in the 2nd round. I made no mention of either Hsieh or Wang. I would say that will be a tough 1st round match for both of them and whoever comes through it will be a tough opponent for Osaka in the 2nd round.

You are the one who suggested Osaka would face Hsieh the 2nd round with your "Hsieh is not good on clay" comment, not me. I don't know who Osaka will face in the 2nd round but either way I'd say, considering Osaka's record on clay, she has a tough match.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I am very, very surprised to see Nastja Sevastova in the draw. I thought she was going to have an operation on her back and we were not going to be seeing her for a while. Don't know what to think about her appearance here, but I hope she is feeling healthier. I have my doubts though. Regardless, I will hope for the best. It would be great if Nastja was able to sort out her back issues without an operation.
She wrote on her Instagram story that the news had been falsely exaggerated. She doesn't need a back operation but wasn't well enough to train for Fed Cup. You've gotta think Ostapenko will be out to get her after leaving her to get clobbered by Germany all by herself (perhaps understandably). :lol:

Anyway, this draw is stacked and hard to predict! A lot of recent rematches like Hsieh/Osaka are possible, and Monterrey final will be replayed in R1 with Muguruza v Azarenka.

I'm wondering if there'll be any withdrawals after Fed Cup?

I'm rooting for Hsieh/Sevastova but with so many blockbusters in the first and second rounds, the only quarter I can see even having the time to play themselves into form is the Kontaveit/Pliskova/Garcia quarter which has a lot of Fed Cup girls and isn't so 'top heavy'.

Halep, Bertens and Kvitova have to be the on-paper favourites from the bottom half but I don't know who is going to take out who.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
You are the one who suggested Osaka would face Hsieh the 2nd round with your "Hsieh is not good on clay" comment, not me. I don't know who Osaka will face in the 2nd round but either way I'd say, considering Osaka's record on clay, she has a tough match.
I did not suggest that. I was quoting TennisFed's post simply implying Hsieh sucks on Clay, so the likelihood of Hsieh v. Osaka happening is low (hence why I wrote he thinks too much as in too far ahead).

·
Registered
643 Posts
It would be nice to see Naomi start to get some good results on clay.
She may play more relaxed - no one is expecting her to do well on clay so it might take of the weight off her shoulders to perform.

I think Kiki has a good chance of winning this one.

·
33,880 Posts
She wrote on her Instagram story that the news had been falsely exaggerated. She doesn't need a back operation but wasn't well enough to train for Fed Cup. You've gotta think Ostapenko will be out to get her after leaving her to get clobbered by Germany all by herself (perhaps understandably). :lol:
Okay.

Yeah.... my allegiances are very much with Anastasija in the battle of the Latvians but I totally understand how Jelena will be feeling pretty pissed of at Nastja leaving her on the lurch in the Fed Cup tie. Objectively, I can't really blame her either. :eek:h:

It is a pretty awkward and unfortunate draw for Nastja to be honest. Not because Jelena is in great form, obviously she is not, but because it is a match that if Nastja wins it, it does highlight her decision to miss the Fed Cup tie in a rather unfavourable way, in all honesty. :SNE:

Even so, I can't change habits of a lifetime (or what feels like a lifetime) and so I will still be rooting for Anastasija anyhow. 0:)

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Muguruza gets Pliskova again in R2 (assuming she beats a jet-legged Vika) :eek:h:
Can we eventually get a Wang vs Osaka please? Even is Osaka sucks on clay.
Will go for Pliskova defending, her half looks good. She won't be tired like she was in Miami.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts