7/WC Vesnina vs WC Kvitova
Begu vs Qualifier
WC Zvonareva vs Bertens
BYE vs 2 Ostapenko

This is going to be a fun tournament.

·
Registered
16,477 Posts
Will kiki beat bye? :scared: Tough first round!

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
I’m going with Pavlyuchenkova, Kvitova, Ostapenko or Cibulkova - can’t narrow it down to one.

Would love to see Wozniacki play but can’t see it happening after her heroics in Oz. She’ll probably want to do PR and rest up for the Middle East swing.

The WTA really need to reconsider where St Petersburg is placed on the calendar, as there will always be a high number of withdrawals the week directly after a slam - surely common sense says to have it before or after Moscow - and create a ‘Russian swing’... that way both Moscow and St Petersburg would have stronger EL as it would give players more incentive.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I’m going with Pavlyuchenkova, Kvitova, Ostapenko or Cibulkova - can’t narrow it down to one.

Would love to see Wozniacki play but can’t see it happening after her heroics in Oz. She’ll probably want to do PR and rest up for the Middle East swing.

The WTA really need to reconsider where St Petersburg is placed on the calendar, as there will always be a high number of withdrawals the week directly after a slam - surely common sense says to have it before or after Moscow - and create a ‘Russian swing’... that way both Moscow and St Petersburg would have stronger EL as it would give players more incentive.
There is supposed to be a new tournament in Moscow this summer.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I remembered Stan Wawrinka immediately playing St. Petersburg, after winning US Open 2016 -- I think it is more of trying to fulfill his promise to play, maybe not knowing he'll win the US Open (which Caroline probably had a similar situation with).

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Kiki will be inspired by her Australian Open doubles title as well as being the defending champion here and she will win a set vs BYE :rocker2:

·
Good Luck Caro in 2019!
184,090 Posts
Caro-Woz will goto St. Petersburg, she will play first on Thursday, but it depends on her knee if she can/will play.

It likely means the Draw won't be changed, because of her before...

·
Registered
114,483 Posts
Good! I'm glad she's going, its good for the WTA she is at a tournament even if she withdraws

·
Registered
170,920 Posts
2 more... Mladenovic.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
This isn't a bad draw for a mid-ranked event following a slam. Is St. Pete's handing out nice appearance fees?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts