Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of them in a RG FINAL :surprise:

Reactions: Scrubaball

·
Registered
12,256 Posts
Supermarketa already fell victim to Klayta this year, just like Sloane... I very much doubt this is going to be a routine though, for either player... I like the fact that Supermarketa was nervous in her match against Martic though... Klayta will notice that and ATTACK! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Drop shot queen seems to be still too young to close the matches easily. This will not work against Jo in that form. However, Maky has nothing to lose while for Jo it can be one of her last chances. I have feeling it would be better for Jo to be underdog rather in that stage. Who knows ... I like either result but give an edge for Jo here. However if Marketa meets Simona in final :eek:h: considering their H2H from this season, that could be fun.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If someone had told you these two would make up the semifinal from the lower half you would have called that somebody crazy, yet here we are, a Czech teenager who came into the French Open in 38th place and might leave it as high as 11th (above Serena among other players) and someone who only a few weeks ago was the butt of jokes here, who had never even won a single match here, let alone make it to week 2, and now she's one win away from the final. This one came into the French Open in 26th place, might leave in 9th.

Some would probably dare say the wrong Czech is in the semifinal since I'm pretty sure people would have picked Petra Kvitova or Karolina Pliskova before Marketa Vondrousova, yet here she is, proving the world that her going toe to toe with the top players and even beating some of them was no fluke.

And Konta, honestly she is probably the biggest surprise, and after what she showed against Sloane Stephens I think she has the upper hand in the next duel. So I saw Johanna Konta to make her very first Grand Slam final at the French Open no less.

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
if OP had any decency left he would've abandoned this board already and spared us with the pathetic BS. :facepalm:

·
La nuit je mens
87,963 Posts
Konta is currently working on confidence and incredible form. The fact that she already beat Marketa recently during that same period of form will only help her like it did against Stephens that she beat in a way more brutal way that in Rome.

Plus, Konta has experience of big courts and big crowd while Marketa will play her first match on Chatrier (that should be packed on Thursday hopefully).

I'd pick Konta in 2, 6-4 6-1

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
If someone had told you these two would make up the semifinal from the lower half you would have called that somebody crazy
not really, we would have called it a regular wta event.

Reactions: zim and Krutov

·
Premium Member
19,642 Posts
if OP had any decency left he would've abandoned this board already and spared us with the pathetic BS. :facepalm:
They literally just opened the thread, can you stop baiting and stick to the topic? Thank you so much in advance!

--------

I think Konta will win in 2, as she's too precise for pushy Vondrousova to handle + she'll be nervous playing first time on such huge court.

·
Registered
115,471 Posts
Konta in 2 sets

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
For me it will depend a lot on what's happening inside Konta's head. She won their match in Rome and is willing to finish points in the net when hitting her opponent off, plus she's moving well - Martic was able to hit Vondrousova off a few times and seal it up there (though Konta will probably struggle much more with the overheads so the shorter the point, the better). If Konta is confident and playing this brand of first strike tennis, she should take this one - let's see how she deals with being the favorite to reach the final.

On the other hand Chatrier is a tad slower than Lenglen and some raining is expected so that might probably play into Vondrousova's hands.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
How Marketa will return Konta's serve will be key.If she can cut the free points and start that rally with her Topsin forehand on Konta backhand she will have a chance on the tennis part.On the other hand it will be her 1st SF at a big event so Konta will have a huge edge .

Konta is the favorite but out of the mental part , you know that if you can return Konta and start the rallies on her serve you made 70% of the job and Maky on a good day can do that.

·
Registered
10,696 Posts
Along with Vaidisova's run in 2006, Maky is already the fifth Czech player to reach the RG semi-finals in the recent years, but actually only Lucie has reached the final in 2015 (and then lost to Serena).

So it's not easy to reach a final here, but Marketa's weapons are different from Petra or Karo so it's going to be interesting to see how she approaches this match and handles this opportunity against an in-form Konta.

She won't be the favourite here, but if she can handle her nerves she has a chance. I'm curious to see what bookmakers will come up with on this match.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Philippe Chartier is playing slower than Rome, as Karolina mentioned too. If Marketa could get into long drawn rallies, she has a good chance. There is less pressure on her. Konta is the favorite on paper.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
If someone had told you these two would make up the semifinal from the lower half you would have called that somebody crazy, yet here we are, a Czech teenager who came into the French Open in 38th place and might leave it as high as 11th (above Serena among other players) and someone who only a few weeks ago was the butt of jokes here, who had never even won a single match here, let alone make it to week 2, and now she's one win away from the final. This one came into the French Open in 26th place, might leave in 9th.
Vondrousova was favored by a lot of us to make the SFs from that bottom quarter, no surprises there ;)

Hard to predict WWW just because this is such a big match and it's hard to anticipate how they will react to the occasion. But my guess is Konta out-clutches the young Czech.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Drag it, Vondrousova.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts