1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Elina Svitolina (1) vs Bye
Kristyna Pliskova (wc) vs Maria Sakkari
Barbora Strycova vs Ons Jabeur
Jelena Ostapenko (wc) v Petra Martic (5)

Victoria Azarenka (4) vs Bye
Barbora Krejcikova (Q) vs Tereza Martincova (Q)
Shuai Zhang vs Karolina Muchova
Amanda Anisimova vs Elise Mertens (7)

Anett Kontaveit (8) vs Ekaterina Alexandrova
Sara Sorribes Tormo (Q) vs Magda Linette
Katerina Siniakova (wc) vs Cori Gauff (Q)
Bye vs Aryna Sabalenka (3)

Elena Rybakina (6) vs Daria Kasatkina (Q)
Dayana Yastremska vs Jennifer Brady
Veronika Kudermetova (Q) vs Donna Vekic
Bye vs Karolina Pliskova (2)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Great field actually, and with Sabalenka, Anisimova, Rybakina & Yastremska playing, it's great for me.

Both sides of the draw are pretty even. Some excellent first round match-ups, Anisimova/Mertens, Ostapenko/Martic, Yastremska/Brady among them
I pick a Sabalenka/Svitolina final, with hopefully Aryna winning it.

Don't like the fact there are 4 players with byes, in a Covid year with so little tennis, it is completely unnecessary.
Four other players could have got a start, which would have been handy.

Really looking forward to this.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Maybe it will be a Rybakina-Svitolina final with Elina just winning it

Slightly miffed that Penko drew Petra Martic. Will certainly be a test of her patience - on the other hand, since she's been practicing her baking skills lately, maybe can offer Petra a bakery product or two?

·
Registered
211 Posts
That’s actually a very good lineup for a Premier event. Many exciting names in the draw and potentially from the qualifiers.
Let’s cherish it, folks, cause it’s the 2nd last event this year.

·
Premium Member
41,357 Posts
Underdog Goldilocks, go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'll say Sakkari

·
Registered
8,813 Posts
What a great field. I hope the big hitters will obliterate everyone in their way in this indoor slam. Ostapenko/Rybakina/MM Queen/Chinese Swing Queen :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
we have the potential for Svitolina-Sakkari, Martic-Jabeur, and Brady-Rybakina, in just the second round. What a stacked field, this should be a really fun event.

·
Registered
571 Posts
why are there stupid byes in these tournaments while many players outside are craving for playing tournaments?

·
Registered
114,319 Posts
The slam winners in here are Azarenka and Ostapenko. Vika coming off a terrible loss. Although the way Swiatek was playing, she was going to win anyway
Pretty good field as the WTA limps to the finish line with no Beijing or YEC
Some good round 1s like Yastremska/Brady, Anisimova/Mertens, Zhang/Muchova, Ostapenko/Martic, Alexandrova/Kontaveit

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some good points by writers here. Yes, why have byes when so many players want matches in the Covid time? My answer is tournaments do this to entice big names to enter. One less match for them to get to a final. Tournaments need the big names to get crowds to sustain themselves or if not or only small crowds allowed, to get bigger TV ratings so TV will come back and televise the next year. Not that I approve, just writing the reason for the byes.
So even with byes, Kvitova wouldn't enter in her home country.These top players can win enough money in Slams that they don't have to play many tournaments and hurts the sport. Should be mandatory that a top local players should enter. But maybe some explanation like an injury.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts