Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... who knows tbh.

Pavs certainly has the ability and the game to beat anyone- honestly will be the more complete player on the court.

Osaka I do think wants it more and she likes the big stage and I think is the better starter. She has to come out firing imo.

I really just want a glorious match with some huge cuts at the ball and some long rallies would be nice :)

Discuss or whin at will.

Reactions: PLP

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
I think Osaka will finally get over this final hurdle at home.

I can see Pavlyuchenkova coming out peaking and winning the first set something like 6-2 or 6-3, before Osaka wins in 3 (possibly with a trademark Pavs choke of course).

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
pavs looks in form so far this tourney, so who knows.
should be good anyway with plenty of clean ballstriking, so no complaints bout this one.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I completely disagree that Pavlyuchenkova has the game to beat anyone.

That aside, since her break through, Osaka usually does well against Pavlyuchenkova’s style of play. Her serve is superior & she’s more consistent off the ground. Last year she was beating Goerges, Collins, Giorgi, Cibulkova, etc. with ease.

The home crowd factor makes this a little more interesting.

·
Registered
115,505 Posts
They both played well in Melbourne and been inconsistent since. Its who has the better day

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Osaka in 2. Those nerves when she was a teenager, and last year's exhaustion from the USO run won't be a factor.

It is interesting to note that just like Osaka seems to meet the same 4 players this year, Pavs has also met Ostapenko and Bertens on a number occasions this year.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Osaka in the final of her home tournament would be an enormous win for Pavs, especially given the poor matchup (Naomi's superior serve makes this unwinnable for Pavs unless she is heavily superior off the ground). I'd be extremely impressed if she took this, especially given her mental fragility.

Naomi will definitely feel pressure here too, but she's dealt with pressure before, and she wasn't a million miles away from winning this last year (anyone can lose to a Karo Plis hitting 80% first serves). It's hers to take, and I hope she does, because it'd be good for the WTA. It's terrible for the tour to have a two-time grand slam champion with one other title on her resume, especially when said title is a premier mandatory.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I think Pavs has looked stronger off the ground this particular week (though not in general), but Osaka's superior serve will carry her through in straights. I could be wrong though.

Regarding the crowd, in Japan they're very respectful to both, and she did beat Misaki Doi in front of them today. I actually think that does more for Osaka's potential nerves than it does against Pavs.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Naomi in 2 maybe 3. Naomi looks much more confident and playing very well in recent weeks.

Her form was there at the US Open but Bencic is her Kryptonite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
Why is there no poll?!
This is truly 50/50
Nastia, I think she is in better form TBH. Though her mentality is always in question.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
Naomi in 2 maybe 3. Naomi looks much more confident and playing very well in recent weeks.

Her form was there at the US Open but Bencic is her Kryptonite.

It was more her Knee in New York to be perfectly honest with you. Look how Naomi moved today especially against Putintseva getting to all of these Droppers almost all the time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It was more her Knee in New York to be perfectly honest with you. Look how Naomi moved today especially against Putintseva getting to all of these Droppers almost all the time.

Yes, the knee was a factor for sure and I do believe she was hampered. Bencic was playing really well though at USO and frankly could have/should have beaten Andreescu in the semi-final.

Regardless, Naomi looks both physically and mentally fit right now!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts