Tennis Forum banner

Who makes the semi final?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very interesting match tonight. Kerber going for her 3rd SF of the year at W1000 level or above, and after a few exits at this stage, Paula will be hoping for her 2nd.

Kerber 15th in the live race, only 60 points clear of Badosa, who is currently in 17th, and with both potentially one win off 10th (depending on how Ons-Kontaveit goes), there's big implications for YEC qualification as well.

Mainly due to her late court timings, especially when the matches have been more few and far between, I've not actually watched a Kerber match this week, but the finalist of the last edition came through Siniakova and Kasatkina in 3 sets, before seemingly beating Tomljanovic far more comfortably last time out, whereas Badosa came through a 3 setter with Yastremska, before dropping just 10 games combined against the higher seeded Gauff and Krejcikova, and the courts definitely seem to be suiting her game.

6pm local, so 2am here, and even later the further East you go, so I'll have to watch it first thing in the morning unfortunately, but hopefully a good one between two of the most consistent players on tour, from mid June and early April respectively.

No H2H between them, as has been the case a few times for Paula this year with her stunning rise, but she has been made the favourite, I guess primarily due to the court speed.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

Who wins?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My heart says Paula, but Angie's looked good this week, so I'll go for her in 3.

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I should go for Angie as well to make it 3 in a row :D

·
Registered
19,375 Posts
I don't know if Angie's going to be able to hit through Paula on this surface. But I also don't know if Paula will be able to hit through Angie on this surface. Neither has a particularly huge game of the ground so contained aggression is going to be important. I'm gonna vote Angie only because I want her to win.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
If Angie beats Badosa I’ll be shocked ! The surface , the form of the players , the level they showed until now , the way the matchup should work on almost any surface . Badosa has the advantage in every single category that I can think of ( unless of course Angie decides to play her best , then it changes stuff )

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
kerber keeps getting these great defenders who like slow conditions in her draw. she is too old!! I think Badosa wins in 2 unless kerber reverts to her grass season form

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
This court is slower than mud. Angie's had a great run in light of that, considering how much she despises slow courts. Badosa should win this.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I WANT Kerber to win (despite the implications it would have on my preferred YEC qualifiers, there is definitely part of me that wants Kerber to win a PM!) but I cannot imagine any scenario other than Badosa in 2. I'm honestly kinda amazed Kerber hasn't just given up considering that these courts are basically mud. Guess it comes down to comfort moving on hard versus clay, but this feels like the sort of court she'd just give up and lose like, 6-0, 6-4 on.

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Rooting for Angie, would be an absolutely ridiculous stat if she ends up finishing her career without a PM to her name.
It would be great if she could win here (or at any other PM) but if not it's not the end of the world.

The most important thing for me was seeing her winning Wimbledon. She's just too good on grass, it would've been a shame if she wouldn't have won it.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
I don't get why people are seriously hyping Angie as the favourite for this event? Even if she wins this match, Vika is still there lol. Vika has 100% mental domination over Angie - she could probably beat her left-handed even on grass.

Also this "she needs a PM!" thing is just as bizarre as it was years ago - I'd bet that she does not feel like her resume is incomplete without a PM.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
35 Posts
I go with Kerber's experience. She often found a tool under the sink when she's in trouble.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
From what I've seen from both of them in this tourny, Paula seems to be playing better. But she tends to have the mental yips and you can't do that against Angie. Leaning towards Badosa on form alone.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Kerber has had a super run since bad Homburg....credit to her. Badosa has looked really good here though....I like her to win in a high quality, 3 set match. Just a bit too much firepower for 33 yr old Angie.

·
Registered
117,398 Posts
I think if Badosa doesnt panic she should win. I dont think Kerber is near her 2016 form but yesterday the former slam winners both won against the slamless players having a good IW
So its up to Badosa's head. I expect one of the 4 in this half to win IW, but who?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Badosa to win in 2 close sets

·
Premium Member
5,086 Posts
Thinking Kerber will win this but I tend to overrate her level

1 - 20 of 25 Posts