Tennis Forum banner

Who will win?

WWW GS SF (7)Halep vs (8)Svitolina

9K views 90 replies 66 participants last post by  mdionis 
#1 ·
So, who will win this mouthwatering Roland Garros Wimbledon SF clash?

See less See more
#5 ·
Amazing SF between 2 players with amazing attacking game, mesmerizing net skills and slice, just a wonderful spot for Wimbledon, oh wait :spit: Shame on All England Club for turning Wimbledon into another Roland Garros :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the state of court after the match :happy:

By the way, I pick Halep, Svitolina has never played on CC, pressure could trouble her.

#7 ·
Svitolina is the better player on grass (which isn't saying much), she actually hit some useful slices and volleys today. But I still expect her to choke to Halep like she did at RG and even recently in Doha :scared:

#8 ·
I like this match and am looking forward to it - I hope the winner takes it all.

Yes, they weren't huge favourites coming into this given recent form and the surface, but they are both top 8 seeds, so ranking wise, 'should' have made the quarters, and they have both won some of the biggest trophies in the game - Roland Garros, WTA Finals, Rome, Madrid etc. and both are still in their prime, so it's good that the top end players, those often qualifying for the year end finals go deep in the biggest events, rather than someone having a hot streak for a couple of weeks and then fade back into obscurity and mediocrity.

I'm predicting Halep in 3.

Reactions: sara13 and AlexMA
#10 ·
When you compare stats from their QFs, Elina is playing more aggressively: She hit more winners. She also came up to the net about 24 times and won a pretty impressive 71% of points. If she can continue to play like this against a player who's not going to blow her off the court, I like her chances. But Simona is much more comfortable in these type of pressure situations, which counts for a lot.

I'll go with Svitolina in 3.

#16 ·
svitolina and halep will be boring

strycova x serena will be interesting. hopefully with serena winning.

Reactions: xPaintTheLines
#17 ·
I think this is where Simona's run ends.

Technically grass would be the best surface for Simona to hit through Svitolina's wall, but I don't think she's in good enough form to do it at this year's Wimby. She was in better form in Doha. Svitolina just needs to stay solid to frustrate Simo into going for too much, and pounce on anything too short. That's how their encounters go.

Also not sure how fired up Simona will be, knowing that Serena is in the final. Just watch this go the way of USO 2015, with Simona losing tamely to Svitolina, then Serena choking to Strycova :hysteric:

#22 ·
Serena vs. Riske were playing at AM/game levels: +1.72 vs. +1.52 (whole match average) 64 46 63
Strycova vs. Konta were playing at AM/game levels: +1.53 vs. +0.68 (whole match average) 76 61
Halep vs. Zhang were playing at AM/game levels: +1.68 vs. +1.0 (whole match average) 76 61
Svitolina vs. Muchova were playing at AM/game levels: +1.09 vs. +0.86 (whole match average) 75 64

#21 ·
I have to give this one to Halep, honestly. I know that in a vacuum Elina has this matchup entirely figured out, but the mental advantages for Simona here are absolutely enormous and it would be a miracle to see Elina overcome them. In this matchup we have:

- Elina, a first time grand slam semi finalist against someone who's been to this stage six times, winning on four of those occasions
- Two players who count grass as their worst surface, but Simona is significantly more accomplished on the surface than Elina
- Elina already has an extremely painful grand slam loss to Simona on her record, and for bonus points, it was a massive choke job on Elina's part
- Elina's most recent meeting with Simona was also a very painful loss (Doha SF 2019) in which Elina choked a 4-1 final set lead
- Elina will be on centre court for the first time, while Simona has been on there this fortnight already and numerous times before
- Simona's had a much tougher draw and will be prepared for players of Elina's quality, while this is a major step up for Elina

Outside of a grand slam and outside of a choke from Elina, this is almost a NID matchup in Elina's favour. In this specific circumstance though, I can't see anything other than comfortable straight sets for Simona. Her solidity and the nerves of the situation will make Elina crumble.

#26 ·
Fitting that in down years from them both, that they would both have at least a Wimbledon semifinal result and not feel any pressure in the final if they face Serena.

They both have a tremendous chance to be a Wimbledon champion on Saturday. Bless the WTA unpredictability.

Halep hit the ball poorly vs Zhang, feeling how uncomfortable Zhang's aggressive game was and yet still being the big name, in this match.

Halep didn't feel that vs Azarenka, who no matter her level is still just as big a name as her.

Elina hasn't been much better on her worst surface either. Besides the Gasparyan break, she has been average just to reach a milestone semifinal mark for her career. The pressure should be off on her for this match as well.

Even if it will be filled with ragged short hitting and unconvincing depth from both, it will at least be another competitive drama from them both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.