Tennis Forum banner

Who will win?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I'll go with Svitolina, but either way, they will both fall to the Serena serve.

Reactions: Ascanius

·
Premium Member
44,176 Posts
First week I would have said Halep, but now I'm not sure. Halep is still that good but Elina plays better now and we could have very fine rallies. :)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Amazing SF between 2 players with amazing attacking game, mesmerizing net skills and slice, just a wonderful spot for Wimbledon, oh wait :spit: Shame on All England Club for turning Wimbledon into another Roland Garros :facepalm:

Can't wait to see the state of court after the match :happy:

By the way, I pick Halep, Svitolina has never played on CC, pressure could trouble her.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Halep is playing better and has more experience at this stage in a Slam. I have to go with her in close straight sets.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Svitolina is the better player on grass (which isn't saying much), she actually hit some useful slices and volleys today. But I still expect her to choke to Halep like she did at RG and even recently in Doha :scared:

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I like this match and am looking forward to it - I hope the winner takes it all.

Yes, they weren't huge favourites coming into this given recent form and the surface, but they are both top 8 seeds, so ranking wise, 'should' have made the quarters, and they have both won some of the biggest trophies in the game - Roland Garros, WTA Finals, Rome, Madrid etc. and both are still in their prime, so it's good that the top end players, those often qualifying for the year end finals go deep in the biggest events, rather than someone having a hot streak for a couple of weeks and then fade back into obscurity and mediocrity.

I'm predicting Halep in 3.

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
When you compare stats from their QFs, Elina is playing more aggressively: She hit more winners. She also came up to the net about 24 times and won a pretty impressive 71% of points. If she can continue to play like this against a player who's not going to blow her off the court, I like her chances. But Simona is much more comfortable in these type of pressure situations, which counts for a lot.

I'll go with Svitolina in 3.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
I like Svitolina’s chances against Serena more tbh. I’ll go with her in 3
This.

Halep respects Serena so much (too much for her own good), and is sensitive to her desire to get to #24, that I don't see her putting up enough of a fight in the Final. Heck, I barely see her put up the necessary fight to get to that Final, knowing that Serena is waiting. I can only hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12,161 Posts
svitolina and halep will be boring

strycova x serena will be interesting. hopefully with serena winning.

Reactions: xPaintTheLines

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I think this is where Simona's run ends.

Technically grass would be the best surface for Simona to hit through Svitolina's wall, but I don't think she's in good enough form to do it at this year's Wimby. She was in better form in Doha. Svitolina just needs to stay solid to frustrate Simo into going for too much, and pounce on anything too short. That's how their encounters go.

Also not sure how fired up Simona will be, knowing that Serena is in the final. Just watch this go the way of USO 2015, with Simona losing tamely to Svitolina, then Serena choking to Strycova :hysteric:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Halep mentally checks out against a top player as always. Flukolina 6-1, 6-1.
But I wish I am wrong though. Having Halep in the final would increase Serena's chance like never before.

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I think people are underrating Halep here. She is the one with the experience, and I can't see Svitolina being anything other than a bundle of nerves.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts