WWW: Fed Cup Final - Australia vs France

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Looking forward to a great final!

Ash in great form but Caro and Kiki are dangerous. Will be interesting to see how Ajla goes playing for Australia for the first time, and in a final!

Sam is in solid form atm, and would be my singles reserve pick if Ajla struggles on day 1.

If it comes down to the doubles, it’s probably a coin flip, hopefully the home crowd can bring them home.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think it'll be Australia, of course, but the crazy thing to me is that none of the matches are 'gimmes'. Yes, Barty is the favorite in both singles matches (of course) but neither would be a monumental shocking out-of-this-world upset.

Part of that is that Barty is a great player, but she never really seems unbeatable. Even during that French Open-Birmingham-Wimbledon run of 15 (?) match wins, it never seemed like 'oh, she's got this'. It always seemed possible that Strycova or Goerges would be able to mount a turnaround. When Barty's playing at her best, it's great to watch and is impressive, but it's not the kind of zoning that we've seen from players like Kvitova, or Pliskova or Osaka, even, that just seems like there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. She has to 'work' the points even when she's at her best (except on serve, of course) in a way that some of the other players don't necessarily need to.

I'm brainstorming a little theory about player types, and I think the 'zoning' vs. 'working' angle is starting to look more and more like the sensible place to begin.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The first rubber Tomljanovic vs Mladenovic will set the tone of the final
And even more so, will determine who has the stress. If Australia somehow wins that match, it takes a TON of pressure off of Barty, and she can play freely. If France wins it, it ratchets the pressure on Australia waaaay up.

I'm struggling to think of a more intriguing Fed Cup final in recent year. Maybe the Czech-France final from a couple years back? Even then, it seemed like it was entirely down to 'will the Czechs be zoning or not?' rather than any dynamics of pressure, etc.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ajla can't handle pressure of mickey mouse finals so how is she expected to handle pressure of Fed Cup final? :lol:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I kinda expected Sam to play singles on D1 and Ajla for D2 to spread the load a little, but not surprised with the actual announcement.

For Ajla, it's a bonus that Alicia will be at her side and can assist with any pressure she feels. She will never have had a crowd on her side so much as today's will be though.

It would cap off a true fairy-tale year for Ash and Australia, so I hope it has a happy ending.

·
Registered
50,543 Posts

·
Registered
50,543 Posts

·
Registered
30,705 Posts
Very nice crowd today in Perth. The Fed Cup final always feels like nobody but the host city/country pays any attention to it but it's always been sold out in recent years.

It's a pity that Tennis Australia decided to massively invest in men tennis and more or less ignore women tennis because the demand is there and they now have an elite player.

·
63,404 Posts
Ajla needs to be replaced! She's horrible! She has no fights in her. She wasn't into it at all. Like wtf. No more Fed Cup for her. Sam would puts up better fight than her.

·
Registered
14,041 Posts
I kinda expected Sam to play singles on D1 and Ajla for D2 to spread the load a little, but not surprised with the actual announcement.

For Ajla, it's a bonus that Alicia will be at her side and can assist with any pressure she feels. She will never have had a crowd on her side so much as today's will be though.

It would cap off a true fairy-tale year for Ash and Australia, so I hope it has a happy ending.
Soundly beaten, end of her week end

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
ATom bombed really badly. She was completely overwhelmed by the occasion which she has done in the past. Didn't seem to play with any tactical awareness - kept hitting to Mlad's backhand, the serve was atrocious, poor placement on serve and during rallies, UEs everywhere. I feel sorry for her but other team members would've put up more of a fight.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
ATom bombed really badly. She was completely overwhelmed by the occasion which she has done in the past. Didn't seem to play with any tactical awareness - kept hitting to Mlad's backhand, the serve was atrocious, poor placement on serve and during rallies, UEs everywhere. I feel sorry for her but other team members would've put up more of a fight.
I feel worse for her team mates.

·
Registered
50,543 Posts

·
Registered
50,543 Posts
21 - 40 of 41 Posts