WWW: Fed Cup Final - Australia vs France

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Fed Cup final is this weekend, on outdoor hardcourts in Perth. It's the last final in the current iteration of a season-long world group competition, with regionals to qualify for the two-tiers of world group competition.

Australia has singles world #1 Barty, and field a pair of players (Barty and Stosur) who have won a doubles slam in the past 15 months, albeit with other partners.

France has seemingly more depth, with two players who were in the top 10 as recently as two years ago, and who won a doubles slam together (although three and a half years ago).

Barty is on a helluva win streak at the Fed Cup, and the most interesting match-up may well be the #1 singles where Barty and Mladenovic face off (in singles) for the first time since the Italian Open, which is Barty's worst loss of the season and the only match she said she was disappointed in how she performed/competed.

I've yet to see whether Tomljanovic is getting the nod to play in the second singles spot, as she's ranked well above Stosur.

Definitely one of the less predictable finals of recent years.

·
Registered
112,693 Posts
I think Barty will win 3 matches. A fitting conclusion to her PotY 2019 to end this decade. I expect the French team to beat Stosur in singles

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
3am starts both days over here, no UK TV coverage either so we can't even record to watch when I get up, therefore it's pretty low down on my priorities - roll on Hungary 2020. It'll be an ATP Finals weekend for me.

As for the tie, it's hard to see past Australia, they'll be clear favourites. Barty should win both singles, so it's just as case of can Mladenovic inspire France to a doubles win, and can both French players win the non Barty singles? Not beyond them, but you'd fancy Australia to win one of those 3 rubbers with the home advantage.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It's gonna be a coin flip if it goes the the doubles decider and I think Garcia and Mladenovic might even have the edge there so Australia might need to find a way for one of their scrubs to win one of the other 2 singles.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
3am starts both days over here, no UK TV coverage either so we can't even record to watch when I get up, therefore it's pretty low down on my priorities - roll on Hungary 2020. It'll be an ATP Finals weekend for me.

As for the tie, it's hard to see past Australia, they'll be clear favourites. Barty should win both singles, so it's just as case of can Mladenovic inspire France to a doubles win, and can both French players win the non Barty singles? Not beyond them, but you'd fancy Australia to win one of those 3 rubbers with the home advantage.
So they will only show the opening ceremony on the ITF YT channel?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

So they will only show the opening ceremony on the ITF YT channel?
You can buy the tie from the Fed Cup website for like a fiver, but I won't be doing that. It was the same with the men's DC final last year between Croatia and France, only available on the ITF site, and at a charge as well, so I ended up streaming some of those matches on a betting site, but I'll not be doing that this time at 3am.

The Davis/Pique cup has been picked up by Eurosport (at least here anyway, not sure about continental Europe) and I'd imagine that would be the case for the revamped FC next year. BT Sport actually picked up a few of the FC quarter finals earlier in the year, but the Barty-Svitolina Shenzhen match was their last dance in tennis coverage.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
I think Ajla or Pris gets the nod for the first singles on day 1, then Ash of course.

Day 2 will be Ash and if Pris/Ajla lose badly on day 1, they'll probably sub in the other.

I think they'll save Sam's energy for the doubles

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
I think Ajla or Pris gets the nod for the first singles on day 1, then Ash of course.

Day 2 will be Ash and if Pris/Ajla lose badly on day 1, they'll probably sub in the other.

I think they'll save Sam's energy for the doubles

Yeah I think it will be Ajla on Day 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will be REALLY interesting if it comes down to the doubles.

I'm wondering if the Fed Cup final has set the YEC singles champion and the YEC doubles champion against one another before. It's up there with doubles #1 Siniakova defeating singles #1 Osaka at the French.

·
La nuit je mens
86,895 Posts
Hopefully Caro finds her usual Fed Cup form. Could allow her to go into 2020 with some good vibes.

·
Registered
50,573 Posts
Go world #1 Barty ! :rocker2:

Barty to win all her 3 rubbers again :angel:

Australia = Barty

·
Registered
50,573 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts