• Kuznetsova(WC) in 3 sets

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm I want Sveta to win because it's Sveta. She's been such a consistent factor and awesome person in this sport for 2 decades. But if Keys wins, Sevastova won't be top10 before the USOPEN and will likely not make it at all with SF points dropping off. :spit: :rolls: How ironic would it be if Svetlana beat her in R1 and ended up losing to block her from making top10. :lol:

Hmmm who you rooting for? :bounce:

My head says Keys will win, but hoping Sveta pulls it off.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
should be pretty routine straight sets win for Keys imo:shrug: h2h is 3-0 Maddy all straight sets wins (1 win was a Sveta retirement in second set)

·
Registered
112,699 Posts
Medvedev/Goffin and Kuznetsova/Keys. All the big draws in these finals
I cant remember the last time Russians won both singles titles at this big an event

·
Registered
434 Posts
If Madison can hold her nerve, I think she has this... but I chose Sveta in 2 because she seemed so hungry for the win against Barty and I feel like it's going to take a lot to beat her.

·
Registered
6,991 Posts
I honestly can’t call this.

Kuznetsova has just the game to really kill Key’s rhythm. Loopy, heavy balls, that kick to the backhand, and just the fact that she’s gonna grind Keys down.

If Key’s isn’t dictating play, she’s honestly losing in straights.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Logic says Keys, but of course I'd love to see Svetlana get this one hurrah. I don't know, voted for Keys (like most) so I will say her with an outside chance at Svetlana.

To think only a week ago when Halep was dragging her hard in Toronto some of you were calling Svetlana done, and look where she is now.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Heart says Sveta, head says Maddi. She's been in Charleston form this week and playing not only baseball but some smart tennis as well. Remember she beat Sloane (Stephens not slumping yet at the time) for the first time there (was 0-6 in sets) and also smashed Wozniacki, another of her nemesis (was 0-2 before). This week, she beat Halep (was 1-5 before with only win in 2014). Keys' serve has been on fire and has got her out of trouble on regular basis being able to find huge delivery. Using fast conditions very well.

As impressive as Kuzy has been, she was very fortunate to win both matches against big hitters this week. Yastremska wasted 2 match points on serve and Pliskova failed to serve out the match. So they both ended up losing in 3 instead of winning comfortably in straights.

H2H is not a good look for Sveta as she is yet to win a set in this match-up going 0-6. Her only hope is Keys doesn't show up for the final or her level drops after the first set which has been the case in most matches this week.

·
Registered
37,344 Posts
Hard to say. Someone like 7-5 in the third.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If Maddie bothers to show up she should win this one comfortably. Just too much firepower and it is clicking for her this week. But we all know Maddie sometimes does not show up so Sveta can outsteady her and pull this out. Though I will go ahead and stick to my guns picking Maddie in straight sets.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It's funny you brought Kuzy's record here when Keys has a even worse record. Kuznetsova won her first ever Tier I final.
:facepalm: Keys has only been in 2 finals besides this one so its not a big enough sample size whereas Kuznetsova has been in 12

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
As well as Sveta has played this week she is not to be trusted in big finals (someone upthread mentioned she's won like 2 of 12 Tier I finals). I'll never forget the mess she made of that Indian Wells final against Vesnina. That, said she's been on a mission this week and she's made a habit of winning North American hard court titles out of nowhere.

Keys impressed me with some of the defense and racket skills she displayed against Kenin. If she can serve her way out of trouble like she has this week I think she'll eke out a win. Something like 6-4, 6-7, 6-3 sounds about right.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts