Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Kiki Bertens

Votes: 7 31.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Barty leads the H2H 4-0 and probably is the favourite, but Kiki has been surprising people every match and has successfully navigated through a tough draw. She'll be definitely looking for revenge against the number 1 player. Plus their matches have been fairly close this year, their Sydney match could have gone either way. So who will win?
As a huge Barty fan, I hope she wins :lol: Plus I want to see Ash-Naomi in the finals. :SNE:

·
Registered
10,069 Posts
Half-arsed Barty in 2.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,985 Posts
There's a lot riding on the match for both players. A win for Kiki puts her in a very good position for qualifying for the YEC. For Ash, she is now just one win away from sealing the year end number one ranking. I think and hope Ash will win this match. But I would hardly consider it a sure thing and I am absolutely not counting my marbles on this one. Despite the h2h, Kiki is a dangerous opponent when playing well, and she has definitely been playing very well this week.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Three of the four losses went to three sets so Kiki is certainly not chanceless. She also got a taste of Barty's game playing Hercog this tournament. Of course Ash is mentally miles above Polona and won't give away leads. I think Ash will show why she's number 1 tomorrow.

I would very much like to see this match-up sometime on clay.

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's really hard to see this not going Barty's way; she's had Kiki's number even when Kiki was the higher ranked and more impressive player, and that situation has quite heavily reversed now (Bertens is quite lucky to be in this semi, IMO).

The games alone give this to Barty but if not, her confidence and solidity should pull her through this. I would be hugely impressed if Bertens pulled off the upset.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Barty in 2 but I would prefer the upset

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
It's really hard to see this not going Barty's way; she's had Kiki's number even when Kiki was the higher ranked and more impressive player, and that situation has quite heavily reversed now (Bertens is quite lucky to be in this semi, IMO).

The games alone give this to Barty but if not, her confidence and solidity should pull her through this. I would be hugely impressed if Bertens pulled off the upset.
Fair enough,
I just don't agree with the bold part
Come on!
She beat Vekic, Yastremska, Hercog and Svitolina to reach the semis. Not an easy/lucky path by any means

·
Registered
703 Posts
There's a lot riding on the match for both players. A win for Kiki puts her in a very good position for qualifying for the YEC. For Ash, she is now just one win away from sealing the year end number one ranking. I think and hope Ash will win this match. But I would hardly consider it a sure thing and I am absolutely not counting my marbles on this one. Despite the h2h, Kiki is a dangerous opponent when playing well, and she has definitely been playing very well this week.
Barty can only seal YE#1 with title this week because if she loses in SF and has to miss YEC with injury (there isn't one yet (only minor left calf issue)) but you never know and Pliskova goes 5-0 in Shenzhen, then she would end No.1.

By making SF, Bertens is basically almost there assuming Serena doesn't play and Bencic in her current slump would have to win Linz and buy Moscow wild card as well. Not happening, me thinks.

Bertens admitted that she will not be too upset to lose tomorrow because the main objective was to beat Svitolina today and get those crucial points. Kiki has right ankle problem, not a big one but still. Barty should win tomorrow and then lose the final to Wozniacki. Absolutely unreal how it worked out for Caroline this week.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Fair enough,
I just don't agree with the bold part
Come on!
She beat Vekic, Yastremska, Hercog and Svitolina to reach the semis. Not an easy/lucky path by any means
Her draw was quite tough, absolutely, but if you look at the actual matches, I'd argue that Bertens is only here in the semi final because Vekic and Hercog are mental midgets. Now that she's won four consecutive matches, you can see the confidence returning to her game, but earlier in this tournament I really don't think she was any better than she's been in the last few months. You can praise the fight she's shown and that she's got herself into position to benefit from chokes, but there's no denying that luck has been on her side here.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
36,985 Posts
Her draw was quite tough, absolutely, but if you look at the actual matches, I'd argue that Bertens is only here in the semi final because Vekic and Hercog are mental midgets. Now that she's won four consecutive matches, you can see the confidence returning to her game, but earlier in this tournament I really don't think she was any better than she's been in the last few months. You can praise the fight she's shown and that she's got herself into position to benefit from chokes, but there's no denying that luck has been on her side here.
I sort of know what you mean, Kiki didn't start the tournament playing great tennis. I think Kiki has fought her way into being in good form by playing with grit in the early rounds and getting through them that way and as the tournament has progressed she has improved round by round. But I wouldn't say though that means she is lucky to be here. She is here because she did fight and show a lot of grit in those first couple of rounds where she wasn't at her best level. She is here in the semis because she has been prepared to give it her all throughout this tournament. For me that is a good indication she does deserve to be here.

·
Registered
115,471 Posts
I expect Barty/Osaka. They won 3 of the last 5 majors and both spent time at #1
Those 2 and Andreescu in the battle for Player of the Year, which probably gets settled in Shenzhen

·
Registered
544 Posts
I sort of know what you mean, Kiki didn't start the tournament playing great tennis. I think Kiki has fought her way into being in good form by playing with grit in the early rounds and getting through them that way and as the tournament has progressed she has improved round by round. But I wouldn't say though that means she is lucky to be here. She is here because she did fight and show a lot of grit in those first couple of rounds where she wasn't at her best level. She is here in the semis because she has been prepared to give it her all throughout this tournament. For me that is a good indication she does deserve to be here.
Kiki's run is entirely deserved - she beat the people in front of her, which is the only thing that matters for that. There's far too much variance in the obstacles players face to ever argue what a deserved run really is, so I think any result should be taken at face value. The main point of bringing up Kiki's luck in my first post was to say that her run to the semi may not suggest the form it normally would, which is important when we're predicting results. Late last year Bertens would have breezed through the opponents she had at this tournament, and she still struggled with Barty at that point of her career. At this tournament she was only a couple of points going the wrong way from losing her first, and then third matches, and she fought to come back in those matches against two players who are notoriously easy to fight back against. It's still impressive, and it's not something everyone could do, but it's worth noting for me. The Svitolina match was beautiful (I've not seen such clarity from her in quite a while) but as someone who likes Bertens, I don't think we should be reading too much positivity into a fairly wobbly run to the semis here.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tennis loses either way. I'll be happy that one goes home but sad that the other advances to a PM final.
I just hope Osaka wins it all now

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Tennis loses either way. I'll be happy that one goes home but sad that the other advances to a PM final.
I just hope Osaka wins it all now

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
I hope Osaka wins it also... I voted Bertens here. She needs the win and beat a better player in her last match, and is playing better than Barty, so it should be Bertens to lose... Bertens will be fighting for those YEC points...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I like Barty but I'm partial to Kiki especially given what's at stake and how lackluster her year has been since RG.
However, unlike the Svitolina match where I my gut was telling me that Kiki would win, I think Barty is the fave here.

Yet, I think Kiki could elevate her game to come out on top.
It's a match that I think will come down to who's more clutch.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like Barty but I'm partial to Kiki especially given what's at stake and how lackluster her year has been since RG.
However, unlike the Svitolina match where I my gut was telling me that Kiki would win, I think Barty is the fave here.

Yet, I think Kiki could elevate her game to come out on top.
It's a match that I think will come down to who's more clutch.
Nailed it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts